“Not what we expected”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Greenwich avenue
Description: Toscana Was Voted "best Italian' Restaurant In Greenwich By Moffly Media's Best Of The Gold Coast.
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The outside of the restaurant looked dingy, and inside the door the floor needed sweeping - leaves, etc. on the floor. A food case at the front was sparce and unattractive. Did not leave us with good expectations. The restaurant is decorated in Venetian style, quite extravagant, but is this a restaurant or a sports bar? The bar at the back of the room had a large TV set which over-powered the atmosphere. The music which was playing was not pleasant either. Now -- getting to the food. I had steak with broccoli rabe. The broccoli was dry and very bitter, no seasonings of any kind were evident. Steak was average. Flourless chocolate cake was hard and cold. Would have been better had it been warmed a bit. Were we there on an "off" night? Perhaps the pasta would have been better. We were drawn in by the excellent reviews but we would not return.

2  Thank yavapai

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I have been a resident of Greenwich, CT. for 67 yrs. and a "citizen of the world", so to speak, as far as fine dining is concerned; and I must say, with pride, being of Italian heritage, that TOSCANA Restaurant is one of the very finest dining experiences, in every way, one can imagine--ambiance,lovely, romantic, but suited for business luncheons/dinners as well as special occasions,-- all.The very finest service, excellent, no rushing--my partner and I were there for hours. Extremely unique and selective menu; exquisite food, delightful--not one thing missed in flavor, quality, or presentation, and very different from the ordinary--a delight for even the most educated palate! All in all,one must visit this extraordinary restaurant and be transported to another time and place, for a wonderful and unforgettable dining experience any afternoon or evening! I I know I shall return over and over again, "Thank you all at "TOSCANA", for making my "yesterday" so enjoyable". See you again, "tomorrow and tomorrow!" Beatrice Lomiento

1  Thank Beatrice L
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Good Italian food with an extensive menu and the food was excellent. The noise level was a bit much for us and the place is cavernous but we loved the range of offerings on the menu and wine list. Everything we ate was delicious and you cannot go wrong with good Italian food. Service was very good and attentive as well.

1  Thank acbas
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Not really what I hoped for. The room is well decorated, but that's not why I go to a restaurant. I applaud the attempts on the menu, but the food just doesn't deliver on either quality of preparation or presentation.
Playing it safe, I ordered a Queen Regina Margherita Pizza. My tomatoes were undercooked, the garlic raw and cheese unmelted... My friend ordered the Spaghetti della Mama. The meatballs were not cooked through and the sauce watery.
This restaurant has such potential- but needs a more attentive chef.

1  Thank CPinCT
toscanagreenwich, Owner at Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Sorry you had a bad experience. For your information Toscana was voted( by Greenwich and other Fairfield county residents) as the "BEST ITALIAN" restaurant in Greenwich for the 2012.
I welcome the opportunity for you to visit us again in the near future.
As to the meatballs not being cooked, that is impossible as the meatballs are first baked in the wood oven, then recooked for at least two hours in the tomato sauce.
The queen Regina Pizza is one of our bestsellers for which we receive rave reviews.
So we have to take your word for it, and we apologize.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We were driving through Greenwich for one night and took a chance on the place. We just loved everything about it. I had the arugula beet salad and my husband had the Caesar. Both were perfectly prepared and the presentation was lovely and the portions generous. For entrees he had the best pasta Bolagnese EVER and I would say the same about my fettuccine with clams which was amazing with at least two dozen wonderful little clams in their shells and a delicate but richly flavorful white wine sauce. Never had better. Dessert was a very nice key lime gelato. We didn't need confirmation that it was a find but were amused when Regis Philin and his wife came in as we were ordering dessert.

I researched Greewich restaurants online before we got to town and choose it, in part, as it was one of the more reasonable spots in the area. It is a really excellent value and nothing is sacrificed by offering a wonderful menu at an affordable price.