“Rude, Obnoxious and Overrated”
Review of Homestead Inn

Homestead Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenwich
New York
“Rude, Obnoxious and Overrated”
Reviewed 2 March 2008

The Homestead Inn appears to be riding on the benefit of some past and long faded glory. The rooms were quite mediocre and the food decidedly average; however, what made the stay so memorable for us was the willingness of the staff and the proprietor to go out of their way to be rude and obnoxious to us.

We thought went the the Homestead Inn for a pleasant weekend away from the children. We arrived to discover a room that was distinctly undeserving of Relais & Chateaux status. The room appears to have been furnished by Ikea, with cheap, disposable furniture and piles of gaudy, uncomfortable throw pillows. The bathroom seemed more appropriate for an airplane than a so-called luxury hotel.

We decided to relax by the fire downstairs with a drink from the bar before our dinner at the restaurant. After 30 minutes, we were told that we needed to leave as they had another group coming to use those seats. No apology. No recognition that we were guests of the Inn who were going to be eating at the restaurant. Just get out.

Better yet, when we told reception about our poor treatment, Therea Hickelmann came over, introduced herself, and told us that we had been treated appropriately. She told us that this was a high end restaurant and apparently it was inappropriate for us to sit downstairs.

I would highly recommend against going.

• Stayed February 2008
5 Thank Publius2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Freehold
Reviewed 18 February 2008

This hotel is the best 5 star hotel i have ever stayed in and i have been to them all. The service is first class and so is the food

3 Thank StoneMasonFreehold
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2007

My wife and I stayed here overnight for a getaway-from-our-kids night. It is easily reached from Manhattan with the Metro North railroad and then a 5 minute taxi ride to the hotel. We stayed in the mansion suite; obviously larger than the other rooms but in most B&B's the rooms are small so if you want a large room, then you have to pay for it and the difference in price is not all that much once you are paying to get in the door. The mansion suite was actually more than we needed with a living room we hardly had time to use, and we rather liked the funky decorating in the place. The service by anyone we ran into was very friendly and accommodating. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent and met or exceeded our expectations which were rather high; they modified the menu to accommodate our dietary restrictions and you know the sommelier knows his stuff when nobody was ordering wine and just taking whatever he poured. He mixed up some fantastic concoction that we really liked. Breakfast is not on the same caliber as dinner but it is perfectly fine. The inn is in a nice place to walk around in a beautiful residential neighborhood and a short drive to town. The inn has a very nice boardroom and looks like a great place for a corporate retreat that requires good food and beverage, closeness to the city but yet a been-somewhere feeling.

• Liked — location, excellent F&B
  • Disliked — breakfast not on the same par as dinner and could use some work
3 Thank 649ic
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 November 2007

For a special celebration of my husband’s birthday, I used multiple sources to help chose a unique, luxurious hotel for a brief, weekend retreat. Notably, I drew upon previous positive experiences with the reccomendations of Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report as well as that of Relais & Chateaux and chose the The Homestead Inn- Thomas Henkelmann in Greenwich, Connecticut.

I am extremely disappointed and saddened to report that I made an unfortunate and horrible mistake.

Notably, the room was extremely small and shoddily appointed. The chairs in the room were tattered, the sheets rough, the shutters partially broken and the bathmat old, ripped and questionably dirty. Prior to arriving, I was told there was a calm, secluded balcony to our room. In fact, this balcony overlooked the parking lot and was shared with the adjoining room in the carriage house. The most unfortunate item in the room was the bed—it was so uncomfortable that my husband and I were unable to either relax or sleep. In fact, after hours of significant unrest, my husband and I chose to leave the hotel at 3:30 AM and return home rather than spend a fitful night in our cramped, uncomfortable accommodations.

Of note, when we arrived in the room, I immediately called to discuss my disappointment with our accommodations and inquired about other options or alternatives. I was repeatedly and vehemently informed that our room was “a very nice room” and that my complaints were totally unfounded. In a further dismissal of my dissatisfaction, one staff member informed me that no other guest had ever voiced a complaint about their room. Finally, I was very pleasantly told that my only option was to upgrade to a more expensive suite or to leave.

On a small positive note, the staff was generally courteous. They carried our bags to the room and agreed to leave a personal note of Happy Birthday to my husband with the turndown service.

Additionally, our experience at the restaurant Thomas Henkelmann, reportedly of Relais & Gourmand status, was merely satisfactory. They serve good, classic French fare with passable service. However, it is simply not in the same class as other Relais & Gourmand restaurants in the New York metropolitan area, notably Per Se, Le Bernardin or Daniel in either service or food. The restaurant Thomas Henkelmann is good, but pales in comparison to its Relais & Gourmand contemporaries.

After leaving the property with both our vacation ruined and our pockets empty, we have emphatically encouraged both Relais & Chateaux and Andrew Harper to promptly re-evalate this property.

Looking back at the reviews on TripAdvisor, it is clear I was not reading carefully-- I was shocked to find that our awful experience was literally echoed in that of many other patrons. We have definately learned our lesson! Don't make our awful mistake!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything, especially room itself
4 Thank doc158058
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed 8 August 2007

This is the worst stay of my entire life. I prepare this little trip outside of NY for several weeks and wanted a nice place to relax for the weekend. The staff was so snob, I could not walk around in shorts without getting a horrible look. We could not access the restaurant , fully booked, even as we stayed in the BB: we were told we would get food in our (little - ohh worse than that: tiny) room. we were so pissed, we left early without finishing the weekend. awful place, overpriced, terrible attitude, avoid at all cost! I was so sorry for my wife, who was expecting this nice moment...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — terible staff attitude
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank stef-paris-shanghai
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I took my girlfriend to the Homestead Inn in Greenwich for our anniversary. The woman I spoke to on the phone, GeorgeAnn, listened carefully to my concerns about choosing the right hotel and gave me complete misinformation.

I told her that I was looking for a secluded place. She told me that the Carriage House was secluded and that it even had a private veranda. In fact, the carriage house is a few feet away from Thomas Henkelmann's, the restaurant. Her "private veranda" was a first-level shared porch. There were people sitting on it all night while we were there.

I also felt that the entire staff was unprofessional. I called to ask for simple directions and they refused to give them to me until I came over to the lobby to get them. Also, because we were slated to change rooms, in the morning I went to get the new key and the person helping me was a 16 year old kid wearing an oversized suit. He also refused my request to go to the room myself and insisted that he go there with me. I don't know if he needed to make sure the maids did a good job or what, but it was intrusive.

I also found it off-putting that there was no guest reception at all, just a tiny booth inside the restaurant's lobby.

Finally, I didn't appreciate having to sign my room check before ever seeing my room. They shoved the paper in my hands and asked me to sign the moment I arrived. I got the feeling that not many people ever stay at the Homestead Inn and they were trying to get my money before I realized this and left.

What a disappointment. All that malarkey about "Best Inn" and all the publicity they've received was obviously the result of a good PR person. It's actually a low-quality, highly expensive ($1,000 for two nights) little establishment. Save your money.

Don't go to the Homestead Inn.

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nj
Reviewed 25 May 2006

Recently stayed at The Homestead Inn for my brother's wedding reception. I found the service to be outstanding, the food delicious and the grounds charming. The Inn is decorated in lovely fabrics, textures, colors and accents which create a wonderful atmosphere. The staff was extremely attentive, but not intrusive. The result was a homey yet luxurious stay. Order the breakfast in bed-- it was to die for!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank moogs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rye
Hilton Westchester
Hilton Westchester
#1 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Homestead Inn? Share your experiences!