“Don't waste your money on this inn”
Review of Homestead Inn

Homestead Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenwich
Brooklyn
“Don't waste your money on this inn”
Reviewed 12 February 2010

My husband and I considered this establishment for our honeymoon. We immediately changed our mind owing to the office staff's very bad decorum, they - without prompting or confirming beforehand - faxed me a price quote for my honeymoon plans, with personal details to my entire office's fax line. My husband wasn't disswayed and forgot about the incident. He booked the place (he loved the interior design of the room featured in all of the pics.) for my birthday. I was hesitant owing to their indiscretion, but he convinced me to just try it. Mistake. The room was hot as hell at night, so that I received no sleep, the views mainly consist of a highway road, the terrace looks onto other rooms and the last straw in terms of insults was the fact that they charged for breakfast. When I asked Renata at the front desk about this policy of charging for a breakfast meal with a $500 room, she very cooly/rudly replied, "We are not a B&B". Indeed, they lack the hospitality that a basic B&B usually provides. When I mentioned the heating issue, all I received was a, "well, you should have called us in the middle of the night to come and fix it". Really? No apology, no offer to switch rooms. Just an attitude. The room we stayed in had nice decor, but it was nothing special design-wise, it actually felt cramped compared to other Relais & Chateau establishments we've stayed in at a similar price level. In addition, the other R&C establishments not only offered breakfast (as part of your room fee), but offered tea service and digestive spirits in the late afternoon along with an array of perusable international publications in various lovely sitting rooms. None of this was offered.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank EzmereldaH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
ct
Reviewed 23 October 2009

We stayed here one night, had a party in Long Island that evening. Reserved the night at Homestead Inn in Greenwich instead of driving home. The room had radiant heat with tiled flooring. Bed was small and not very comfortable. Room got so uncomfortably hot husband had trouble sleeping, thus causing us both to have a restless night. No other place to sleep in the room. Didn't matter if the heat was turned down. Opened the door for cooler air and had to listen to the highway traffic. Didn't justify what we paid to stay there, despite it being a member of the Relaix Chateaux resorts. it was not pleasurable at all. The staff was very courteous, however when we came back from our party, it was very late in the evening, too late to make any changes in the accommodations. We wrote them a letter describing our circumstance. It has been two days now, and no response.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank smarto
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 October 2009

To the previous negative reviewer, are you sure you stayed at The Homestead Inn? We live in CT and wanted to get away for a night. The nightly rate was very reasonable. We had eaten at the restaurant previously (superb!) but never stayed at the Inn. Upon arrival, the owner/Mrs Henkelman greeted us and was extremely friendly. Another staff member insisted on grabbling our bag and showing us to our room. Our room was at the top of the stairs so it was nice to stumble up after dinner and not have to get in a car to drive home. The room was professionally and tastefully decorated (I am an interior decorator), clean and cozy. The linens, towels and bath products were of 5 star hotel quality. We were hungry before dinner so called down to request rooom service and the maitre' d suggested sending up a cheese plate for 2 with some drinks. The cheese plate was very generous and priced at $20. My husband did not bring a jacket so he had to "borrow" one from the coat room. The staff was very discreet about it and made us feel like it happens often and that they have considered changing the rule. After dinner, we sat in the bar and chatted with the very friendly outgoing bartender about soccer. While there, the chef/owner came in and joined in the conversation. He was extremely friendly and made us feel so appreciated and welcome. The bar was cozy and beautifully decorated. We have lived abroad X3 and thus travelled extensively. We spend a great deal of $$$ on travel and accomodations and are therefore very critical. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anybody who expects 5 star accomodations and treatment.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dalocopa
new york, ny
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed here a year ago and even today I am occasionally reminded of how much I hated The Homestead Inn. It stands out in my memory as the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I just had to write a review on it.

The woman who I booked the room with was named GeorgeAnn, and she lied to me. I told her the purpose of my trip was a romantic getaway with my girlfriend and that privacy was very important to me. She assured me that my room was quite tucked away and even had a private veranda. I arrived to a room that directly looked over the parking lot and a "veranda" that was basically a wooden walkway near our window that was fully public. There were people sitting on the chairs on "our" "veranda" during the good part of the evening.

Upon arriving, I was immediately prompted to pay in advance before asking any questions, something I was suspicious of but felt I had no choice about. The room was okay, not terrible. It had some fancy-looking furnishings but felt worn and used. It was worth about $125 per night; I paid $500.

We ordered room service from Thomas Henkelmann's and the food was so-so and very expensive. My steak was dried out.

When I called to complain, I was treated rudely. I wasn't acting particularly rude on the phone because I was in a bit of state of shock, sort of like "This can't really be the charming inn that was rated so highly in Relais and Chateaux, is it?" But I was still treated with disdain for suggesting that their hotel was not up to par.

I urge you not to stay here. This is the only place I have ever stayed that I have written an online review about and I remain scarred to this day.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank trudyb123
NY
Reviewed 23 May 2009

How about it $500.00 a night for a 500 sq ft room called a suite with loud, and I mean loud Freeway 95 noise: what a deal... I have stayed in Relais and Chateaux hotels in the world, Coppet, Swizerland or Taha... and this is not such a place.. this is a hoax... Avoid this place for your own good.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank enjoybehappy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2009

I was concerned after reading all of the reviews but we loved the place. Our room was beautiful and cozy with a nice size bathroom and the staff could not be nicer. We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. We did not feel rushed at all.

• Stayed February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Happytravelinfamily
New York
Reviewed 2 March 2008

The Homestead Inn appears to be riding on the benefit of some past and long faded glory. The rooms were quite mediocre and the food decidedly average; however, what made the stay so memorable for us was the willingness of the staff and the proprietor to go out of their way to be rude and obnoxious to us.

We thought went the the Homestead Inn for a pleasant weekend away from the children. We arrived to discover a room that was distinctly undeserving of Relais & Chateaux status. The room appears to have been furnished by Ikea, with cheap, disposable furniture and piles of gaudy, uncomfortable throw pillows. The bathroom seemed more appropriate for an airplane than a so-called luxury hotel.

We decided to relax by the fire downstairs with a drink from the bar before our dinner at the restaurant. After 30 minutes, we were told that we needed to leave as they had another group coming to use those seats. No apology. No recognition that we were guests of the Inn who were going to be eating at the restaurant. Just get out.

Better yet, when we told reception about our poor treatment, Therea Hickelmann came over, introduced herself, and told us that we had been treated appropriately. She told us that this was a high end restaurant and apparently it was inappropriate for us to sit downstairs.

I would highly recommend against going.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Publius2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook
Renaissance Westchester Hotel
Renaissance Westchester Hotel
#5 of 8 in White Plains

Been to Homestead Inn? Share your experiences!