“Five Star Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Greenwich B&B and Inns
Seaford, New York, United States
“Five Star Stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

There was a bad snowstorm coming in the northeast. So, I decided to stay closer to work. In spite of the wickedly cold and snowy weather, Colin welcomed me like a family member who has traveled a long way home. He offered me some heavenly made oatmeal raisin cookies. I was warned that the bed is so comfortable that I'd need the alarm so as not to oversleep. He could not be more right! Breakfast is a dangerous affair. Wonderful Irish brown bread, cinnamon buns that were out of this world! My compliments to the chef! She has an amazing gift! I lingered at breakfast chatting a bit with Mr. and Mrs. Pearson, the proprietors. They were engaging and very gracious hosts. Just don't blame the chef if you gain weight here- her food is too delicious to resist.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Damariscotta, Maine
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I along with her mother and our two small Shih Tzu dogs just had another wonderful and memorable stay for 2 nights at the Stanton House Inn while visiting Greenwich during the annual Christmas Holiday Stroll in town. The innkeepers were very kind and gracious to us and accommodated us nicely even with our two well behaved Shih Tzu's. The interior decor is beautiful and the property overall is very well maintained for any guest. With or without our two Shih-Tzu's we will be returning once again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with well behaved small dogs, room ONE is excellent.
Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York, Usa
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Everything about the inn from the location, to the rooms is wonderful. I left Manhattan for a quiet solo getaway this weekend and everything started out great. However, on my second and last night there I spilled a glass of red wine while I was in bed watching TV. While I realize that it was quite a poor choice to drink red, and if I could go back in time an switch to white, I would. I called the front desk, but it was late and no one was there, I assumed they were asleep. I stripped the bed and put cold water on all stains. There was also wine on the carpet. I blotted it with cold water. In the morning, I was honest and apologetic, told them what happened and waited while they assessed the damage. What came next was completely unexpected. The female innkeeper pretty much yelled at me, became extremely judgmental, accused me of lying...."There is no way that was just one glass." (Well I was alone and I don't double fist wine, nor did I take the bottle and pour it out over the bed). After being spoke down to for quite some time I asked her if she ever spilled anything in her life, to which I received the response, "I don't drink red wine in bed." I assured her this was unintentional, restated my apology and was told, "All of our other guests treat this place with respect." Apparently an accident is a sign of disrespect. There were a few times that her husband even asked her to stop berating me. I was standing there, fully honest about what happened, and willing to pay for damages. She went on about not knowing what they were going to do, they were unprepared for something like this, people were checking in, I had to pay $500.....When I told them I would pay $200 and wasn't comfortable paying anymore than that until I received itemized receipts, I was immediately shot down and told they would never see the money if the situation was approached that way. The way I was treated was like I had a party and grafittied the walls. I was alone, relaxing with a glass of wine, which I happened to spill. While I initially felt horrible and was nothing but apologetic, I can't say I feel anything but disrespected and cheated now. I'm not sure what makes anyone think this is the proper way to run a business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Kim G
Colin P, Manager at Stanton House Inn, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for those initial words of commendation! I’m so happy to hear you found everything about our Inn so enjoyable—except our reaction to damages to our rooms.

I hope you’ll forgive our immediate disbelief—a single spilled glass of wine would not so thoroughly soak and damage all the bedding, mattress, bedside table, wall, and carpet beneath. Judgment and accusations are, frankly, beneath us, and I apologize if you perceived it to be otherwise—though the number of red wine bottles removed from the room did seem excessive. We were, however, left with the extra burden of returning the room to the same pristine condition in which you found it on your arrival for guests coming from Italy that very evening for a week’s stay in that requested room. As you can see in the main profile picture here on Tripadvisor, the blue and white decor of Room 14 does not match well with red wine stains!

Please understand that cleaning and replacing (by going shopping) all the heavily stained linens—and other damaged surfaces, including repainting the wall and cleaning the carpet—after your brief stay was not our idea of a good Veteran’s Day. I hope you can understand a bit better the innkeeper’s frustration with the situation, as the work largely fell to her on an already busy day. Add to that previous dealings with other members of our staff—your earlier rude refusals of service led us to suspect the damage had been done earlier in the stay—and a lack of understanding can sometimes be easy to reciprocate.

Please note, as we explain to all our guests on check-in, that even when our Front Desk is closed, there is always someone present and available on the property and a simple phone call away (ie: just dial “0”).

I also feel obligated to mention that after thirty years of the same family owning and operating the Stanton House Inn, this isn’t our first time at the rodeo. While anyone can promise to pay for damages assessed after leaving our property, we felt safer to have somewhat fair compensation paid before a guest went beyond local jurisdiction. An itemized receipt is in the mail. We will consider ourselves even provided this guest finds another location of our calibre that finds heavy damage to their property acceptable.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were touring Connecticut and Vermont in to see the foliage and we made reservations to stay at the Stanton house, our first ever bed and breakfast. We stayed at a few more on this trip but none offered the attention to detail and comfort that this wonderful home offered. We even receive help from our hosts with a great dining choice and tips on the area and were made to feel quite welcome. Thank you again Frank and Sharyn

Fairfield, Connecticut, Usa
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We live in the area but needed a quick couples get-away for an overnight. Stanton House Inn was just the cure! Our room was fantastic and the staff is top-notch. We had a wonderful home-cooked Sunday morning meal as well. Highly, highly recommend! We loved it.

Thanks again,

Matt & Tracy L.
Fairfield, CT

Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Enjoyed one night stay at the Stanton House Inn. Room was clean and comfortable, with all necessary amenities. Breakfast items were top quality (cereals, pastry, fruit, juices, coffee, tea). Host was friendly and engaging.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Stanton House Inn is a wonderful classic New England Inn tucked on a quiet tree lined street in Greenwich. It's a quick drive in any direction to beautiful parks, shopping and Port Chester's great casual dining. Perfect place for a quiet rest from the city or if you need a place to stop on a trip through the East coast. The Inn keepers are helpful and courteous without hovering and the house feels like a home without feeling like someone else's home. The grounds are beautiful and our room was a perfect, well lit room with a nice soft bed and gas fireplace. We stayed on the weekend and the breakfast, which was a perfect, was included.We'll definitely return again

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook
Hotel Zero Degrees
Hotel Zero Degrees
#3 of 14 in Stamford

Been to Stanton House Inn? Share your experiences!