“Nice B & B but something was missing”
Review of Stanton House Inn

Stanton House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Greenwich B&B and Inns
San Francisco, CA
“Nice B & B but something was missing”
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I wanted to like this Inn more that I actually did. The location and room were top notch. The Village of Greenwich is lovely. I was given a nice room, just off the front of the house. It is a great option for leisure of business travelers.

I entered the house and their was an unpleasant smell in the foyer. Kind of a strange beginning. I arrived somewhat late and the common area closed at 10 PM. Didnt have much time to make use of these. I think that most people can be respectful in the common areas, if they are reading or just relaxing. I can understand the tv being turned off.

Should I have another trip to the area, I would not select this B & B. A few simple changes and I think it would be an excellent place to stay.

• Liked — Its a lovely home
  • Disliked — The common area hours made it feel more like a college dorm
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank BulldogMatt
stantonhouseinn, Owner/Manager at Stanton House Inn, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
We would like to take the opportunity to thank this guest for staying with us at the Stanton House Inn in August.
While we always appreciate feedback from our guests and value their insight, we feel that the review this guest posted was biased. As the Director of Corporate Sales for a "4 Diamond"-rated hotel in San Francisco, we understand that he may be accustomed to the services and amenities provided by a large full-service hotel. We are a twenty-room bed and breakfast Inn - not a full service hotel. Therefore, we feel that comparisons of our Inn to larger hotels are unfair and misleading.
We would like to apologize for the unpleasant smell in the foyer that the guest wrote of in his review. We had been power-washing and painting the front of the house shortly before his arrival.
While we regret that this guest was unable to enjoy our common areas for a longer period, we do enforce their hours of use for the comfort and convenience of our guests.
We have guest rooms located to the side of each common room, and we close the common areas at 10:00pm for the consideration of the guests staying in these rooms. A significant number of our guests are business travelers who enjoy our quiet and peaceful atmosphere, and are eager for a good night's rest. By enforcing the common areas' hours of operation, we are able to offer these guests a peaceful haven away from the office.
We hope that you will find this response helpful in understanding our policies and the reasons we have for implementing them. We have written to this guest dierectly to address these issues. We are happy to hear that he enjoyed his room itself, but we regret that, due to the brevity of his stay, he did not bring these issues to our attention while here at the Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2008

For just a little more than you would pay to stay at a sterile chain hotel, you can stay at this architecturally charming inn.

We don't stay in B&B's often as we value our privacy and they can be noisy . We stayed on the 3rd floor and didn't hear any creaking floors or slamming doors - it was perfect! Because this was more of an inn, the owners were there when we needed them but not over-bearing as can be the case in some B&B's.

The only negative...I broke open my croissant one morning to be greeted by green mold ....the owners were highly apologetic and replaced the offending item with a much fresher specimen, however, anyone that knows anything about great breakfasts should know that croissants don't stay fresh for long, and should be supplied daily.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 11 October 2007

I have been a guest at the Stanton House Inn over 40 times. Having traveled extensively I can give it an unqualified "tops in Bed and Breakfast Inns" with no hesitation. This is not a chain hotel, with noisy bar or restaurant and anonymous atmosphere and decor. The host family is attentive and gracious, caring for details such as fresh flowers, a lovely breakfast, and a real feeling of home. I often encounter repeat guests, equally appreciative as I am, to enjoy this unique and wonderful "home away from home".

• Liked — atmosphere and service and location
  • Stayed April 2004, travelled as a couple
2 Thank inn_travellerBoston
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 24 August 2007

I've stayed here in 9 different rooms at all times through the year. This is easily the best place to stay in Greenwich and a tremendous value for the very expensive Westchester County NY, Fairfield Count CT area.

Regarding the poor review - yes - the staff is committed to keeping the place very very quiet at night and no type of partying is allowed. I'm am an oenophile and love red wine - and they are absolutely clear about not allowing red-wine in the room. This is a good thing - the maintenance is perfect and they don't tolerate noise. No - they do not bend these rules. You can drink red-wine in the dining area or outside. I'm sorry, but this is a good common sense rule.

The staff is very accomondating. I know many of them. They will provide you with things in the dining room or the outside tables. They will provided detailed recommendations for things to do and restaurants.

The cordless internet works well in all rooms except for a few in the very back.

The air-conditioning is quite effective. Perhaps there were a few hours in the variable northeast weather when the common areas were 'stuffy' - but in dozens of stays, I was never uncomfortable.

The location is as good as it gets. The house is walking distance to the downtown - yet it's off the busiest roads. The train station is a bit far to walk - but in the evenings and weekends parking is plentiful. One can always take a short cab ride.

If you want a quiet place, in a fantastic location, with a good room, at a good price, with a helpful staff - this is the best place in all of Fairfield County (not just Greenwich). If you want to party with red-wine the staff will enforce the rules.

• Liked — Quality of accomondations, location
  • Disliked — That I can't stay more often
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank sand_ca_traveler
New york
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My friend and I decided on the Stanton House Inn since it was my last night in NY before leaving to relocate to Florida.
I had called the inn and it seemed like the perfect place to stay.
While booking I was told that they would make every effort to make our stay a pleasant one ... I even explained the situation.
As soon as we checked in, we told the hostess that a few on my friends would stop by to wish me well .
I was told that they could not come up to the room ....that they must stay outside, better still that we should go to a restaurant!!!
A few minutes later a phone call was placed to our room stating that we were not to have any red wine in the room which was followed by another call stating that each visitor would be charged $10 per car for parking and so on.
The management was very stuffy and even informed us that this is Greenwich... it is a real mom and pop type of place and not in a good sense.
In short, without going into the gory details, and there are many, the room itself was just o k ............the public rooms were hot and stuffy, .. no AC that I could detect, the inn keepers were snooty and uppity.
We were also told, when making the reservation that it was just a short walking distance to Greenwich Ave where there is shopping , well maybe a short distance by car..........
In short, we never even brought our bags up to the room, were there less than an hour, were asked to leave after the police were called... four police cars showed up.... and we were charged $211 of which they would not refund our money.
I have never had anything like this happen to me before, I have traveled the world for both business and pleasure and really feel that the Stanton House Inn was way off line in the way they treated us as guests.
I totally do not recommend this Inn to anyone.

• Liked — seemed like a nice quiet place
  • Disliked — staff snobbiness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
10 Thank Brunello5
new york, ny
Reviewed 12 June 2007

I absolutely loved this bed and breakfast. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were beautifully decorated and spotless.

• Liked — Charm of the inn
  • Disliked — Not near an accessible beach
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kristinalanna
San Francisco CA
Reviewed 30 November 2006

What a lovely place! It was like visiting family, only without the obligations. The house is historic, and very well cared for. The proprietors and staff are kind and friendly. We took the least expensive room, on the third floor at the back, so it was a long hike upstairs, but well worth the climb. We had two double beds, very comfortable. The large room was nicely decorated, had armchairs, a TV, a tiny kitchenette with minifridge and sink. The bath has been redone and has a shower (no tub), with a small dressing area. I looked out the back window down into the yard one day and thought 'Gee, I don't remember seeing that statue of a deer before.' And then the deer walked away! The neighborhood is woodsy and quiet, so peaceful, yet a 10 minute walking distance to the main part of Greenwich. The parking area is right out front. We stayed a week, and hated to leave. There is a common room for breakfast downstairs, but we were lazy and never went down to be sociable. We were very tired when we arrived and very busy while there, and it was just the quiet refuge we needed. Wireless internet works very well, even way upstairs. Just writing about it makes me want to go back. Enjoy!

• Liked — The location and peaceful, welcoming atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a lower floor if climbing stairs is hard for you.
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Mom-and-Teen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#2 of 14 in Stamford
Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Stanton House Inn? Share your experiences!