“only place to stay in greenwich”

The J House Greenwich
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Greenwich
Greenwich, Connecticut
“only place to stay in greenwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

truly excellent world class hotel without the expense. great excellent jazz on Wed evenings, great wine, food, etc. You can sleep in and no one bothers you. AAAAA. in my opinion. they do everything well and professionally.

Room Tip: all are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I found the J House randomly using my hotelstonight app, when I found myself needing a last minute hotel in the area. It really surprised me to find something so modern and cool in Greenwich. The first thing you see as you pull up outside the place is beautiful firey torches that light up the entrance. I checked in under an artistic video projection that was on a loop on a huge white wall above my head and peaking around the corner you see a glass enclosed fireplace in the middle of the room surrounded by leather chairs, cozy nooks and a beautiful bar. Everyone was really polite and really friendly. I ordered some sushi and wine from the bar and am really impressed. The sushi is greenwich-pricey but well made and really fresh, plus the added ambiance around you is very comfortable and well designed. I had the superior king room and was really happy with it. I was blown away by not only the beauty of the room but they also had ipads which easily controlled the shades, lights, and temperature of the room and it gave you access to room service, wake up calls, etc. Then you walk into the bathroom and are completely surprised by the high-tech japanese toilets which open on their own and are heated with a bunch of other options. I've never seen anything like that. The huge mirrors in the livingroom and bathroom double as TVs and there is a common area outside your door with art & cool books to borrow during your stay. In the morning I left my room and was greeted by the smell of chocolate in the air from the lab downstairs making truffles. I was late for their free continental breakfast by a few minutes and the manager set me up with everything anyway. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. They even let me request a specific room that I really liked when I booked again to stay for Valentines day. Well worth the money for the room, and I definitely plan on going back for dinner again soon.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for the Superior King. Its not much more money, but the room was way nicer tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank hollyverona
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was a great experience for me. As soon as I got out the car I was greeted well by a gentlemen named montori. He helped me with all my bags. He was very kind and polite. He escorted me to my room and helped me work with the ipad which I had no idea what i was doing, but he kindly helped me figure it out. Overall being there was great; food was great, serive was great and the people aswell.

Room Tip: the rooms there are were great by the looks of it. You wont go wrog with any room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jermon j
Beacon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the J house for our first time on Valentines day.We were so impressed with everything about this place.From the welcoming,friendly management and staff to the beautiful modern and cozy design.The room was very clean and absolutely amazing. The food was great and the chocolate lab they have there is a great added bonus!We would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank BL2311
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The JHouse for three nights over Thanksgiving week-end, November 2013. Lovely, details below. First thing to mention is the kind manager: I had mistakenly booked 3 nights for the week before Thanksgiving, getting my dates mixed up about when the holiday was to take place. No problem, full refund given to me and after those days had passed, too.

When you are staying, make sure you try the continental breakfast, served at the bar. Those little patisseries--the chocolate croissants, the croissants, the cream puffs, and lots of other sweet and darling things--take you right back to Paris. Yum. There's granola and juices and tea and coffee and cereals and bagels, too. Full breakfasts available if you have to ask for a menu and want to pay.

Take time, too, to go to the chocolate store near the check-in desk. Wonderful hot chocolate, big mug, and you can take it over to the fireplace and sit for an hour or so and read a book or just relax (I stayed an hour and a half by the fire with my book, till I had finished the hot chocolate, and then signaled a waiter at the bar who came over and took my order for a Prosecco and an order of tuna tartare sandwiches :-) and stayed for another half hour!

The location of this hotel can't be beat: it's on East Putnam Avenue in Greenwich. If you drive toward downtown you'll come upon cute boutique after boutique on the avenue and you'll eventually get to Greenwich Avenue, the main shopping street, and home to a small Saks Fifth Avenue, a small Hermes, a terrific little independent book store, small and comfortable restaurants, linens stores, children's stores, jewelry stores, etc.--fun, convenient, relaxing.

And, if you want to go into the city (meaning New York City), you're a 7 minute car ride from the Stamford train station, two exits further on I-95.

Have a good time, enjoy the mod cons (the iPad, the lighting, the Toto toilet), and relax!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachelBernstein
Mansfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was excited to stay here with all of the positive reviews for an overnight business trip in Greenwich. The property is very attractive with a great deal of care taken to make it luxurious, attractive and comfortable. The rooms are amazing with comfortable beds, a very nice bathroom & shower, remote controlled shades and lights etc.
However, I had my business partners meet for dinner at the J the night of my arrival as we planned on dining at the hotel and the live jazz band was so loud that conversation was literally impossible. We were screaming trying to speak and it was just terrbile. We were there from 7pm to 10 pm on a Wed night and it went on the entire time with no more than a 5 minute break. We left because we couldn't bear it any longer. I will say the service was great and the food was quite good. I went back to my room, which was facing the front entrance and parking lot and heard patrons yelling and coming and going until well after mid-night, they tend to have a young clientele. At 6 am I was woken up by loud canned music piped into the outside entrance just below my window. if you are okay with not sleeping.. stay here for certain. The front desk staff was cordial, but did not even make an attempt at being friendly. If I wanted a fun place to hang out on a Sat night I would surely return, but not otherwise.

Room Tip: make sure you are not facing the front parking lot !
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TERRI S
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome to behold. The 21st century style and sophistication of the interior and exterior were mind-blowing. It was like being in a contemporary Bond movie hotel.

The staff could have been friendlier and it would have really helped the experience. We only interacted with the desk clerks however. They didn't seem at all pleased to see us, nor were they at all welcoming or friendly in the least. The beauty of the JHouse is only skin deep. Perhaps I am too accustomed to the contemporary and casual customer service of the west coast.

The decor, style and amenities are stunningly amazing. It was renovated so recently; they just need to make every effort to keep it clean and modern. The parking lot and breezeway were convenient and nicely designed and built.

The restaurant and cafe looked great, but because we checked in late in the evening and I had an early morning meeting, I didn't get to experience them. My wife chose to go to a neighborhood bar rather than visit the one in the hotel, fearing the potential for more snobbish customer service and outlandish drink prices- these have not been substantiated however.

The room of course, was the highlight -digital wall controls for everything from the side table lamps to the shades. An iPad 2 welcomes you personally and holds a custom app that replaces the laminated thick faux leather bound books most hotels have in the rooms. The bed sagged quite a bit like it was trying to swallow us up. I'm big and tall (6'5" 260lbs) and I had to throw some pillows under my back to keep from getting a kink in my back. My wife said she had the same problem though on her side of the bed and she is fit. Maybe the mattress needs to be flipped or needs a better foundation.

The bathroom was straight-up awesome; Japanese robot toilet, beautiful and modern shower and tv in the mirror that you never really use.

The HDTV in the main room was gorgeous and had several AV hook-ups including HDMI and SVGA so you could hook up a game console, laptop or other digital device and play games or stream video over the free wifi. The study desk and chair in the room was great. My wife worked at it until checkout while I was at my meeting.

I really wanted to have breakfast at the kitchen but since I had an early morning business meeting and the restaurant and cafe don't open until 6:30, I had to settle for the McDonalds up the street for breakfast and coffee. :(

I'm glad we stayed, I only wish we had more time to check out the place, the bed were firmer and the customer service weren't so cold and impersonal.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marc W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Southport
Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#1 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to The J House Greenwich? Share your experiences!