“Excellent front desk”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent front desk”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed overnight after a concert at the casino. Very good location, excellent value. Had some difficulty with the rate ( not hotel's fault). Dowdy, who was manning the front desk in the morning, was exceptional in her professional handling of the situation. She resolved the problem quickly and went out of her way to offer us a complementary breakfast.
I want the hotel to know what an asset she is to their organization .
William Hulcher

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Looking for a quick getaway they offered a package featuring a one-night stay, $100 spa credit, $100 dinner credit and bottle of champagne at a reasonable rate! Sounds good, right? WRONG!

I requested an early check-in and called to confirm this was possible, however when I arrived (in middle of snowstorm) I was told I'd have to wait-- another THREE hours. Strike one

When finally allowed to check-in, the bags were to be brought up to the room...an hour, two phone calls, and one trip back to lobby only to hear they couldn't be located. Couldn't be located? Better give me that bottle of champagne...except the "bottle" poured two glasses as it was a teeny tiny bottle. Strike two

Had dinner reservations at Octagon for 8pm. Still had to wait for table, couldn't get any arrive at bar - but like I said it was a snowstorm. Got seated with the "Valentine's Day menu" on 2/15. $50/per person with 2-3 choices for each course. Hmmm, not Valentine's Day and not the menu I read when I made reservation. Requested regular menu but was told that was all they offered. Not the menu posted online. Only a Valentine's Day menu a day late.

Because it was not as advertised, I asked if the credit could be applied elsewhere or perhaps even be used on another visit. Nope. So got stuck with eating there. Food was overlooked, undercooked but consistently cold. Strike three.

On " positive" note, room was average and spa services were good.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Stephanie B
MysticM88, Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experiences at our hotel and we deeply appreciate all feedback we receive. We are so sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us it is our goal to strive and excel at offering all guests a wonderful stay. I completely understand your frustration and apologize that we could not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

We try our upmost to meet all guest requests including early check-ins, unfortunately the weekend in question was rather busy and we had no ready rooms at the time of your check-in and thus we could not meet your request we do however guarantee a 4pm check-in for all guests.

I would also like to apologies that the amenities and diner offering were not satisfactory and did not meet your expectations. Our culinary team strives to execute our high standards consistently and we must apologize that your experience was anything but.

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize for your unfavorable experience. I also want to thank you for staying with us. You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.

Warmest Regards,

Adam Szafarek
Bayside, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Ued this as a base to visit Mohegan Sun, which is about half an hour away. The hotel has a lovely lobby which includes a Starbucks and a restaurant. The is also a Red Door spa adjacent to the lobby. We did not use the spa or health club, so I can't comment on those. The room was comfortable, standard Marriott. The housekeeping was not as through as it might have been, with some refuse left on the floor and towels and shampoo not replenished. We did have breakfast in the restaurant twice, which was fine. The parking lot is spacious. In addition to the casinos, it is close to Mystic and to the Groton Sub Museum, which is worthwhile. It is right off the the highway, which is convenient. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 11 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The Marriott was lovely. We travelled with our adult children and they were given an adjoining room which was very convenient. The beds were comfortable and the room was very spacious. The staff was helpful and very pleasant.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol0910
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I needed to get away for a day over the last weekend, so on February 8th, 2014, I booked a room with a whirlpool online and headed to Groton. This hotel was easily found right off of I-95, but far enough away from the highway that there wasn't any appreciable noise from the traffic.

When I entered the hotel Bethany greeted me with a big smile and a very welcoming personality. Check-in was quick and painless. My room was nice and clean upon my arrival. I felt that the price of the room was on the high side, but given the location and how close to Valentine's Day it was, I could understand it.

There was plenty of parking around the hotel. An added bonus was the onsite spa, where I received a wonderful deep-tissue massage.

Mystic was close by and, unlike some of the other reviews, I did not find the distance to be disagreeable. What I did find troubling was the mold spots over the vending machines on the fourth floor, particularly over the ice machine. I was very surprised to see this considering how clean the rest of the property was.

Check-out was easy as well, with Dowdy providing another pleasant experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tim D
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We had a large family gathering at the Marriott Mystic Hotel. I can honestly say that the staff was the friendliest and most accommodating I have ever encountered. On top of that, the hotel is beautiful and in a great location. The in-house Starbucks is also a special treat. Only disappointments was the pillows and bed were not that comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith L
Boston MA Area
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago for a dance competition. I have never stayed in a hotel that was totally unwilling to accommodate every single request I made. I specifically requested a room with 2 beds when I made the reservation - apparently there is a difference between "requesting" a certain type of room and "reserving" it, and making a reservation 7 months in advance was not enough notice. I found out that it isn't that they don't have this type of room, its just that they wouldn't give me one even though we made sure to get to the hotel at check in time. I also asked for a late checkout (till noon or so instead of 11AM) - again, they couldn't do this (I guess all the rooms in the hotel are clean by 11 AM?) . A couple other requests were declined as well - politeness is great, but what I really wanted was to get what I asked for.
The hotel rooms are OK, but not by any means outstanding. All of the pillows on the bed are either massive (like sleeping on a Pilates ball) or smaller than a throw pillow. At times you can hear the conversation (or other sounds) in the room next to you loud and clear. Also, the ventilation in the room is very poor - the room was so stuffy in the morning that we actually felt a little sick. I didn't bother with the $15 breakfast buffet, but I got a coffee, juice, and pastry at the Starbucks in the lobby for a mere $10! The parking a long way away from the hotel doors - there is no door on the South Side of the property, and the lots are designed so that most of the parking is a walk from either the front or convention center doors (and why they have a big field in the middle of the north parking lot, I don't know). The pool is designed for lap swimmers and not much else.
This hotel is a ways from everything- it is at least 2 miles to any other store.
I don't think I'd stay at this hotel again unless I had to (for a competition) or they had a fantastic promotional rate.

Room Tip: My best tip is to choose another hotel, but if you're going to stay in this one, be aware that t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
MysticM88, Director of Guest Services at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa.

You indicated in your review that your recent stay at the Mystic Marriott was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

I am concerned about the discontentment experienced during your recent stay and I fully appreciate your inconveniences of not being able to get a room with 2 double beds.

Unfortunately the majority of the rooms in the hotel were reserved by the group you had reserved with for the dance competition which you were attending, and a large majority of attendees all requested rooms with 2 beds and thus we had to adopt a first come first serve basis for 2 double bed room requests.

While we tried our up most best to meet all guest requests we ran in to a situation where by most attendees made their room reservations within days of the group block opening up for reservations.

I have also looked into your concerns regarding your late checkout requests and we do honor these requests when we have the availability. Unfortunately on the checkout date in question we had limited availability due to high occupancy.

On behalf of the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa I would like to apologize for your unfavorable experience. I also want to thank you for staying at the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience

Nemas Nemakonde
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!