“Definitely Not a Marriott Category 7 Hotel Any Longer”

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our recent stay for six nights at the Mystic Marriott proved disappointing inasmuch as the services and restaurant are definitely not up to its listed Category 7 in the Marriott hotel chain. We have been to this hotel many times before and were very pleased. Not this time, a year after our last visit. The staff, individually, are terrific; however, the hotel is understaffed causing many delays and missteps. This has not always been true and should be fully staffed especially at the height of the summer season in the area. Our problems began with checkin when the requested room near the elevator was not assigned despite a call the day before to assure it was on our request list. Extra towels -- forget it -- when cleaning woman was approached I was told there were none and "they always run out in the afternoon!" Next day, room was not cleaned and had to call to have the room done; day after, room cleaned, no towels left. Issues like this continued. Complaints were addressed immediately. And then there was the Octagon restaurant --- previously a pretty decent steak house -- the special bbq dinner on Thursday was the worst meal we have ever had. Ribs were so dry and tough, they were inedible; vegetables not cooked. "Strawberry Shortcake" was an amalgem of stewed strawberries, mushy and falling apart, and a biscuit worthy of being a hockey puck. Complaints were met with little concern. While there is supposed to be a Concierge Lounge for Elite Marriott members, the one in this hotel is barely open, perhaps 2-3 hours a day, not stocked or attened, closed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, etc., etc. This is certainly not what should be called a Category 7 Marriott hotel and should be graded no higher than a 5.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JGSNewYork
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear JGS New York,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I will be addressing your concerns with the appropriate departments to ensure all issues are resolved and do not happen again. I apologize you were not satisfied with your meal at Octagon. We are always happy to replace a meal that does not meet the customers’ expectations.

Kindly be advised our concierge lounge is open Monday- Friday and is staffed Monday-Thursday. We care greatly about guest satisfaction and I invite you to contact me directly to further discuss your recent stay.

We would love to have you back at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

There's a lot about this hotel that's underwhelming. Most notably, the Marriott Mystic is not located in Mystic, rather on the outskirts of Groton in the middle of nowhere. It's a short drive to Mystic, but there is no option of walking anywhere from the hotel. We were there for two nights. I had requested a room with two beds because we were traveling with our 13 year old. It was a very small room with two double beds making it a bit of a tight squeeze for my husband and me. The beds were not very comfortable. We asked to he moved to a room with two queen beds for night two, which the staff did immediately. The bathroom in each room was very average. The hotel was crowded on our first night and noise from the hallway kept me awake for much of the night, even though the guests were just making normal conversation and not yelling or screaming. I guess the doors and walls are thin. The small pool is indoors with a shabby outdoor patio adjacent. Not a great place to hang out. The hotel was very clean, however and the staff excellent and very accommodating, especially Jason, the front desk manager and his crew. We didn't visit the spa or restaurant so I can't speak to either of those but the workout room was well equipped and clean. It's not a big deal, but there was only one serving of coffee for the coffee makers, and just one bar of soap instead of the more typical two bars -- one for the sink and one for the bath. Those two observations left me with an overall impression of institutionalized chintzy-ness. The Marriott Mystic is just one more of the average hotels in the area and not deserving of the four-star rating it receives on numerous travel sites.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Upon staying at the Groton Marriott for a wedding, there have been many problems. First, when tried to use my Marriott rewards, it was denied due to miscommunication within there computer systems. Secondly, when the bride's parents reserved a suite to have the after party, they were told after the fact that they couldn't have it in the room and needed to go elsewhere. Poor planning on the hotel for not blocking rooms all on the same floor for the wedding party. Think twice before booking a special event at this hotel. There are many other hotels in the area that would be more accomodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Toni N
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Toni N.,

Thank you for your review of the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I understand your frustration regarding your Marriott rewards points, and I do hope the issue was solved in a timely manner. Regarding the after party, we do encourage wedding guests to take advantage of a room we provide downstairs. Sometimes the noise volume of parties in the suites can be a bit high and can disrupt our other guests. As for the wedding party being blocked together, our guest rooms become available as they are cleaned and ready. We do our best to check in guests as they arrive, so therefore it is difficult to always guarantee the wedding block rooms will be together. I hope you enjoyed your stay overall and will consider staying with us again in the future. I do apologize for your inconvenience.

Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel to stay at in the Mystic area. We arrived late and they were quick to get us taken care of. Includes a spa and restaurant. Rooms are very clean and spacious. Bed is super comfy! Staff is friendly and helpful. Would have liked to stay longer

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 22 August 2014

First, let me say that I am a loyal, platinum elite Marriott rewards member. I travel the world and try to stay at Marriott properties exclusively when I am able to. I like Marriott overall and have never had a bad experience prior to this one. This hotel can easily fool you. From the ouside, its stately Georgian architecture and Red Door Spa co-located gives the impression that you are headed for luxury. Do not be fooled. Do not judge this book by its cover, Inside is tattered and worn!
Frankly, this was my worst experience of any Marriott I have ever stayed in, The issues that need to be addressed. Poor housekeeping. My room was dusty and remained dusty my entire stay. Basically, the maid makes the bed, that is it. Bathrooms barely cleaned. One day, the garbage can in the room, was totally full, and the maid neglected to empty it. This lack of attention to detail is even evident in the hallways and elevator. none of which are properly cleaned. One wonders if there is a housekeeping supervisor? If there is, they need re-training or replacing. The window in my room with a view of a lake, was covered in bird feces, as was the windowsill outside.
The Concierge Lounge-only opened from 6:30pm to 10 pm- ( you can go in there during the day, but there is nothing served-not even a cup of coffee or tea! In the evening, they serve the worst quality food that you would not give to your dog. Seriously, Shocking! One night they had meatballs that smelled awful, the next night, they actually served hot dogs. One comes away with the impression that this hotel is in dire financial straights and they are cutting back at every turn. in addition, the Concierge lounge has a distinct moldy odor to it. Desperately requires a complete overhaul. hello, this is where your Elite customers congregate- how about making us feel a little special instead of serving garbage food in a mold infested room? The restaurant where they serve breakfast had really poor quality food, far from Marriott standards.( Servers are very nice though) Luckily they have a Starbucks in the hotel. During my stay, I expressed my concerns and unhappiness to a front desk clerk. I asked to speak with a manager, but was told there was none available. I asked to have a manager get back to me. They never did. I left a day early, just fed up with lack of cleanliness and lack of service. I would never stay at that hotel again. It clearly needs refurbishment as well as improved housekeeping supervision, a refurbished and upgraded lounge and a new and improved food and beverage manager. Marriott Corporate management take note: You have a hotel that does not live up to the standards you have set at your other hotels. You need to either get the problems fixed, or take your name off this hotel because it is distressing the Marriott brand. Word of mouth is powerful advertising. Have a good experience and you tell several people, have a bad experience and you tell dozens.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank StevenEk
Reviewed 16 August 2014

You either want your hotel predictable or you don't. The Marriott lines are each very predictable by brand and this Connecticut full service Marriott is no exception. It is a larger than average property and presents itself well. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were extremely pleasant and efficient. Still trying to get used to Marriott's decision to only pay lip service to sub-gold level members. Used to automatically receive more desirable room location upon check in. Now we have to almost beg for it at each property. Room we finally ended up with was spacious, comfortable and quiet. It was well appointed and room safe was provided. Bathroom amenites were surely more appealing than previous Marriotts. Perhaps it is a chainwide change or maybe it is one singular characteristic feature here. Lobby restaurant was okay, but expensive breakfast choice. Ample free parking and very convenient to Route 95.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank upthehudson
WHGGuestService, Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I am happy to hear you were pleased with your overall stay and with the service you received from our knowledgeable and pleasant staff. I’m also glad you enjoyed your upgraded room and found it to be spacious and comfortable. Thank you for being a loyal Marriott rewards member, and I hope you will come stay with us again next time you find yourself in the Mystic/Groton area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have been to this hotel about 4 times and all 4 times were a comfortable stay. Staff is super nice and respectful. Its close to all the attractions you want to go to!
Rooms are very clean and a good size! Also the Starbucks in the hotel is excellent for a quick snack and capp.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Mystic
Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!