“A Very Nice Place”

Hampton Inn - Groton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful, the room very comfortable and quiet and parking was tight , but free. Free breakfast was nice touch, as was the pool. Close to most things, but the submarine base was a few miles away.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and I would recommend it. Very good price for the above-average hotel experience. Amenities include a pool and hot breakfast. They also had hot cocoa packets out along with coffee - that was a hit with the kids! Rooms were nicely maintained and the location is ideal.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Nothing to complain about, nothing to praise too much. Parking is free, internet also (although it is pretty slow). Nice gym and swimming pool, staff is friendly. Prices are fair. Rooms a little bit dates, but fine and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We wanted to visit the Submarine museum and this place was nearby and was within our budget. Pros: It is clean and a good value. Cons: The heating system in our room was so noisy we left it off until the cold woke us up and we turned it on and put up with the racket. Also the refrigerator in our room froze my beer. I guess it is a thermally challenged establishment.

Room Tip: We booked a room with double beds, which was a mistake. They were rather small.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My husband and I wanted a night out at the casinos but the room rates were outrageous! So we picked this Hampton Inn which is only * miles from Mohegan Sun and we were thrilled with the price, service, room and hotel staff.

Room Tip: We got a king room on the first floor, only drawback was it was directly across from the housekeepin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here for a few nights while visiting Mystic. It is very much just an average hotel. I was a bit surprised because some of the reviews make it sound fairly nice, but really, it's quite an average box hotel, maybe even a bit on the dingy side. We would go back because it's a very affordable hotel and the convenient access to Mohegan Sun can't be beat....but we stayed a similar priced-also-chain-hotel in the area and it was far nicer.

Cons:
* AWFUL, AWFUL overwhelming citrus scent in the rooms left by housekeeping after cleaning. It was so terrible that it gave me and my daughter a headache. We actually had to put a note on the door to NOT use this the following day.

* No pay per view?? We were ready to order a movie for our kids to watch one night and found out there's no pay per view at all. I don't think I've ever seen a hotel that didn't!!

* definitely not "immaculate" as some reviews said. It was clean enough, but there was some dirty grout, a hair in the tub etc. Again, not terrible, but not immaculate.

* bad internet signal and we weren't able to use in-room signal at all

* breakfast was a bit sketchy and there was no water to drink with breakfast

PROS
* the pool was empty all night. I'm guessing it was because most guests were adults staying for the casino, so they weren't there all night....but my kids had a ball having the pool to themselves all night.

* there is a free limo shuttle to the casino from the hotel. This is a really nice extra touch. My kids were ecstatic to take a "real limo!!" to the casino for dinner and back. It was nice for my husband and I to have a margarita or two with dinner (it was Margaritaville of course!) and not worry about driving back on the dark, winding roads.

So overall, a nice place to rest your head...but nothing super fancy.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aimathy
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here for New Year's Eve for an overnight getaway, because there is a lot to do in the area. The staff was welcoming and efficient. The hotel's interior was nicely decorated and clean. I guess they already knew I was a Hilton Honors member, because our room had two little bottles of champagne - a lovely surprise. The room was typical for Hamton Inn - clean and in good condition, but not glamorous. There was adequate storage and good lighting. The fridge was larger than usual, and the microwave was brand new. However, the breakfast buffet was the highlight - among the nicest I've seen in these places. There were pre-made little cheese omelets, potatoes, meat, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, fruit, beverages, and the breads and pastries even included croissants. Everything was clean and well-stocked. In many hotels, when a breakfast buffet is included in the price, there is not such variety, even at other Hampton Inns. I commend them for their generosity.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemarina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
Best Western Olympic Inn
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Hampton Inn - Groton? Share your experiences!