“Watch what you eat!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My friends and I was expecting to have a nice Vietnamese meal but to our surprise. His Vietnamese beef grinder came with a hidden sharp clear piece of plastic shard. Lucky he had chewed before swallowing or otherwise it could have been possibly fatal. The staff brought out a broken plastic container to reassure us the source of the shard which made us question more of their sanitary practice in the back of house. To fix the problem, they gave my friend a new sandwich which was doggy bagged and free throwed into the parking lot garbage can. Needless to say without offending any of my Vietnamese friends, I would not recommend this unsafe restaurant to any of my families or friend.

There are newer reviews for Phantasia

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Its good to have an Asian soup restaurant in Groton. Had the seafood soup with noodles, tasted fresh with fresh shrimp. Mild broth that needed boosting from the hot sauce and soy sauce bottles. Great crispy and tasty egg rolls. Companion's Hong Sue Gai was disappointing, the chicken was unidentifiable and spongy and weird, with too few veggies. Service was inattentive, had to go to the front desk to interrupt the hostess' filing her fingernails to get a check. We'll try one more time, because I liked the soup

Reviewed 30 September 2013

As Vietnamese food goes, I'm pretty good at telling what's good and what's not. I did grow up on that stuff. So when we rolled into this place for lunch one day, it was weird. Usually, you find Vietnamese people and they serve Viet/Chinese food. No, it's the opposite here. These are Chinese people who serve Chinese/Viet food. I had the Goi Cuon (summer rolls, weird, I've known them as spring rolls but whatever, I'm not from this part of the country and these are Chinese folks running the restaurant) and pho. The Goi Cuon were only okay. These things were huge, but it was mostly noodle and a piece of lettuce with the shrimp. And what happened to the cucumber and mint? Those rolls are known for the vegetable and herbs. At least you got the peanut sauce right.
The pho was not that great. If you know pho, you know there are a ton of spices that give it its aroma. There's star anise, cinnamon, ginger, and a bunch of other things. But really, it's the star anise that gives it that distinct smell. They would have been better off getting the cheater spice package with all the spices in there, just add to water and boil. The meat they used was mainly fat too. I was a bit disappointed about that.
My friends who were with me had the Chinese food and they were happy with that. I attempted the Vietnamese but I guess my standards are a bit higher since I am Vietnamese and know what I'm supposed to get. Oh, on a good note, they did have ca phe sua da - Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk over ice. That's the best Vietnamese item I had off that menu. The only redeeming thing about my meal.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Looking at the other reviews of Phantasia I feel discoursed about the quality of these reviewing sites the reason is simple: diners are rolling themselves into thinking that something that is quite mediocre is actually good. In this case it is the Pho at Phantasia. Everything in the bowl is perfect except for the broth which has absolutely no depth and barely spent any time simmering with a piece of meat or any star anise in it. I can make better Pho broth with a box of chicken broth and some powdered anise. It is watery and tasteless. Quite a contrast to the ingredients which were very fresh and high quality. If you could bring your own broth and a bottle of Three Crabs fish sauce the Pho would be be great.
And why bring your own fish sauce? Because when I asked for to enrich the broth the waiter brought some relatively tasteless nuc Cham sauce. She I told him that it was not fish sauce he insisted that it was but then went to the owner who sent some "fish sauce" which was either diluted soy sauce or the cheapest and worst fish sauce on the planet.
Would I go back there? Absolutely as the quality and preparation of the pho ingredients was as good as it gets. Would I order pho again? Not on your life. I have found the same exact broth issue at two other local restaurants which are owned by Thai nationals including the excellent 4 Roosevelt Avenue in Mystic.. Maybe the only restaurants that should serve Pho are those owned by Vietnamese nationals.
If you want really good Pho in this area you need to drive to East Hartfford CT to Pho 501 where they do it right. So far the best Pho we have found in CT is at Pho Vietnam in Danbury, a very long drive from SE CT.

1  Thank hank7503
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I love this place, the staff is friendly and knowledgable about the menus the food is always hot and delicious. The tea is great and the crab rangoon and sauce is my favorite appetizer. My husband always has the Vietnamese food and I usually get Chinese . The soup is enough to feed 3 hungry adults at a cheap price.

Been to Phantasia? Share your experiences!