“Great Place To Stay”

Thames Inn and Marina
Ranked #1 of 1 Groton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 February 2011

For all you travelers wether it is business or pleasure This place is great!! Debra Cindy Lynn and rest of the crew.. were incredibly hospitalble and professional. Came down with a bug during my business stay and they bent over backwards to make sure I was ok and comfy.. It was a snowy and icy week and they had the parking lot cleared 200 percent of the time....Nice Quaint town perfect location ....access to everything..Clean Clean Clean.
Well equipt kitchen... and Awesome King Size bed.....was suppose to stay one week I stayed 2 because of their professionalism!!!! Will see you soon, When I have to go back to Groton
Thanks Again!!!!
Lisa

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lisalau

Reviewed 17 July 2010

I was lucky enough to stay at the Thames Inn and Marina while on a trip to see the Miss Connecticut 2010 Pageant. I am Miss Maine 2009 and was asked to perform at the Miss CT pageant so naturally I was looking for a place to stay but because there were multiple events going on, many hotels were booked or way out of my price range. I happened upon Thames Inn and was pleasantly surprised by the friendly voice that picked up the phone. Debbie, the owner, was more than accomadating. Her friendly tone over the phone immediately made me want to stay there and I knew I would be well taken care of. Upon arriving, the Inn was under a bit of construction but the inside was perfectly fine, very clean, and comfortable. Debbie even let me use her personal steam iron to make sure my gown was flawless for Pageant night! I would highly recommend Thames Inn and Marina if you are looking for great service and a relaxing time right on the water. It was my pleasure to stay there and will probably be back at another time! Thanks again!

Susie Stauble, Miss Maine 20098

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank susiestaubs
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Well, I must say what a shock! What a difference! This coming from someone who has been going for years - five, and always on this very weekend and kept going because of the Inn's location. What a turnaround! And we have some horror stories we could share. We were so impressed with the professional way the Inn is being handled now and very pleased with the way the new management is handling every detail to accommodate her guests. The room we had was CLEAN and even fully stocked with towels, shampoo and soap. What a bonus! Our past experiences could be categorized in the horrendous column but we are such die hards so we thought..one more time! And we are SO happy we did. All of the staff at the Inn (yes there was actual staff and good ones too) was most attentive to all of the guests needs. This year was like night and day! We so look forward to next year's visit and many more to come! Truthfully my fear is that with the turnaround we won't be able to get a room for next year's event - Book me two now please - LOL !!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank DawnGreen
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Pleasantly surprised ! Really enjoyed the stay. The staff was attentive and the place was extremely clean. What a change from previous years. The new management is doing an incredible job.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank wyliek
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This is no chain hotel,, this is down on the docks with the locals .
On the Thames river in Groton this hotel is like sleeping on a boat without getting sea sick. Working fishing boats share the parking lot and if you want to charter a fishing trip you can step out of your bed onto the boat. The place is in transition with a new manager that is turning the place from a crusty barnacle into a comfortable place to stay on the river. A short ways from the submarine base and museum the view of boats large and small passing by never ceases to entertain. The place is being worked on and some of the rooms are better outfitted than others but the manager is working hard to turn this place into a gem. Nessled between several sea food and pasta restaurants you can walk to this place is not plush but awsome!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank femadude
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Decided to travel to Mystic, CT for the weekend last minute. Everything in Mystic was booked. We got a room through a dot com company for booking hotels. The agent discovered this "great" hotel just outside Mystic in Groton, CT. We were told this was a three star hotel - price - $149/night. We decided to take it as it was our only option at that point. We arrived to find collapsing/demolished buildings on each side of the Inn, which was a really dirty, run-down motel. No one at the front desk so we used the phone to call management - waited 15 minutes for them to show up. Got into a conversation with the hotel manager and apparently this is an extended stay hotel, which is used by strippers and junkies. We saw a cab pick up a stripper who lived in the Inn on her way to work as well as several undesirable residents chilling with their room doors wide open. Against all judgement, we still booked the room. Only later to discover the room also had cockroaches crawling across the floor. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from this place!! It's filthy and it's populated by strippers and junkies!! Whatever agency rated this as a 3 star hotel needs to go to jail!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vacagirl647
ThamesInnMarina, Manager at Thames Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2010

There's a new Sheriff in Town! Thames Inn & Marina is now being managed by me, "Debra," the same manager that brought Rocky Neck Inn & Suites to # in Niantic on tripadisor.com (as of May 7th, 2010) I worked hard at RNIS, and I'm now working hard here to earn back your trust here at Thames Inn & Marina! It's not just the fresh paint and flowers; there's a new attitude and a professional staff at Thames Inn & Marina. :)

Although we're still a bit of "A Diamond in the Rough" on the outside, the new paint has been ordered and Debra's new staff is paying attention to details! Our rooms are not only spotless, they come complete with full kitchens! We're doing our best to earn your trust once again!

We have both nightly and weekly rates available. Also, we offer AAA, Senior, Military and Corporate discounts.

Join us and enjoy the twinkling lights at night over the Thames River. Dock your boat at our marina complete with electricity/cable TV. Grill outside, swing on the swing and watch the boats and submarines go up and down the river. Relax. No matter how hot and stuffy it is inland, there is always a gentle breeze coming in over the Thames!

Onsite, we have a 21 slip marina with daily fishing excursions available on "The Sea Otter." "The Hellcat" fishing boat leaves from the slip next door. Paul's Pasta is only a few doors down from us! (yum!)

We're courteous,professional, affordable,& convenient ly located to many attractions and businesses! Yes, there IS a new Sheriff in Town, and I'm excited to have been given the opportunity to earn back your trust!!! Hopefully, you'll join us and post your positive experience on tripadvisor.com! In fact, I'm counting on this!!!

Debra

Reviewed 14 July 2008

What an awesome day Sailfest was! The hotel needs work but the manager is a doll! Fireworks were great and the food was too! Will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ThamesInnMarina, Manager at Thames Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2010

**NEW MANAGEMENT** as of May 1, 2010. Please read the reviews from 2010 to see how we're doing under new management. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Thames Inn and Marina? Share your experiences!