“Best Groton grinder ever!”
Review of Bennedito's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bennedito's
Ranked #52 of 120 Restaurants in Groton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Groton grinder ever!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I grew up in Groton during the 1950's - my father worked at Electric Boat where he was an electrical engineer for submarines. A special treat for us four kids was to go downtown and get grinders and then run around Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park until we were exhausted.

Bennedito's makes grinders that take my back to my childhood. I bought a large one, ate half at Fort Griswold, then some for supper and now I've finished my breakfast grinder. Wonderful! Even the day old grinder was delicious. I don't know what the special ingredients are, but it was just perfect.

From the outside, Beneditto's doesn't look like much. But it's worth stopping by and ordering a grinder that you will never forget! It is simple and if you have good memories of living in Groton as a kid, you will love it.

The owner is really nice, knows the area and some of the old families who are associated with Eastern Point...wonderful trip down Memory Lane - thank you!

• Visited July 2014

Mansfield Center, Connecticut
“Best grinder anywhere”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I grew up in Groton when one day in The Day paper there was an article on this shop, trying to recreate the earliest and perfect grinder. The owner is by himself now, used to work at Pfizer and also Coast Guard (Research and Development I think) so has wonderful stories to share while he hand cuts your lettuce or cabbage (now my preference over lettuce) as well as meats, cheeses and tomatoes. He uses his own baker using his own recipe. The place is truly 'a hole in the wall' as others have explained, last time I was there the roof was leaking with pots all over catching the drops. The owner says he is in the midst of fixing the place up, but I can't predict when that will be. I've moved away and now have to drive 80 miles round trip to get my fix every once in awhile, but the crusty and chewy bread, fresh meats and top oils, pepper etc. make it a must have. My large genoa salami was $6.50 give or take 25cents. Not a lot of choices but everything there is top. The owner is slow since everything is cut fresh, if you have 3 people in front of you expect to wait a half hour, but usually there is no wait. If you have a large order you better call ahead. Not open Sundays, open until 3pm Saturday. I think the rest of the week he is open until 5pm, but I can't get down during the work week..

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Chrisitehazen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Grinders this Side of the Thames”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Benneditos is a fantastic take-out Grinder place. Grinders are made on the spot to order on fresh bread. The local banter with the owner is one of the reasons I come back again and again.

It is a bit of a hole in the wall and a little hard to find but the Grinders are made quickly and with love and you can't go wrong here. I'm always amazed to see people going to subway when Benneditos is just up the street for the same price and far better quality food!

• Visited September 2013
Mystic, Connecticut
“Excellent Grinders”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Benneditio's is an institution here in Groton. The best grinders for years and years. It is a bit of a hole in wall and is strictly take out only. It is only open for lunch.

Visited February 2012
9 Thank PeterRose14

Been to Bennedito's? Share your experiences!