“Pros & Cons”

Best Western Olympic Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Great location...Very close to highways, gas station, stores, restaurants. 2 minutes from New London and 5 minutes from Mystic. The exterior is simple and neat. Parking was free. There was no one at the front desk upon arrival but there was a plastic doorbell affixed to a block of wood on the counter with a sign to push the button for service. We thought it was unprofessional, but we rang and someone appeared in 5 minutes. He was very pleasant. We requested a map of the area, but there were none available. There were slightly burned cookies available on a side table.
The room was large enough, tidy, had a nice flatscreen TV and WiFi. We checked for bedbugs and saw no signs...that was of critical importance! (We also checked www.bedbugregistry.com and there were no reports). The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. I used Lysol wipes on the remote, phone and doorknobs which were filthy. The heating/air unit was old and loud, but it worked. The rug in front of the mini fridge was sticky and spongy...yuck! (Did not use the fridge or coffee maker.) The bathroom knob was coming loose, but it did lock. The bathroom ceiling had mold and the laminate countertop was worn and chipped. There are minimal supplies. You'll need to request more if you are traveling with company. Oddly, the tissues were secured to the wall in the bathroom. One would need to get out of bed in the middle of the night for a tissue.
The complimentary breakfast was a buffet in the attached restaurant. A harried waitress brought coffee and juice. She brought me the wrong beverage and spilled it on me but I didn't say anything. She was overheard talking about how overly burdened she was. We could've served ourselves drinks, and it would have been faster and more pleasant. The food and the selection was disappointing. Overall, I'd say the hotel is basic, could be cleaner, and a bit overpriced for the amenities and area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Olympic Inn

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I were pleased with our stay and would definitely recommend this location for anyone looking for a place to stay in Groton, CT. We were pleased to know that the shuttle service to the casino was extended to include Sunday of the holiday weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We decided last minute to take a trip to Mystic. This hotel was reasonably priced compared to other hotels in the area, however still a little pricey in comparison to other hotels I've stayed in in similar tourist areas.

The room was clean and quiet from outside noise. The people at the front were very nice and helpful. The pool was nice sized and clean (bring your room towels, none offered at the pool). The free breakfast in the restaurant was small compared to others I've been too. Just eggs, bacon, sausage patties, frozen french toast and toast and cereal.

The beds were really firm, but the pillows super soft.

There were some mechanical things that maybe need to be fixed up. Anything mechanical was VERY noisy. The AC worked well, but was so noisy. The toilet was noisy as well. The doors creaked. The elevator sounded like it was dying.

But really, for an overnight stay, it was good. As long as it's clean, I'm happy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsBattsNY
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Exterior was great, check in staff superb. Very friendly, we selected this hotel as part of the Harley-Davidson partnership. First hotel that's ever offered the opportunity to wash our motorcycles at check in without us asking first - "we get the hoses and towels ready, wash area is to the left of the lobby".

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Philip K
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This is an excellent hotel. My family and I have stayed here many times over the past few years. I even go out of my way, if in Connecticut, to stay here even though some detour may be required. We have always been treated well and fairly

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Talcott L. I
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We had a Great Experience. Everyone, from the front desk to housekeeping to restaurant staff, were pleasant and helpful. They all seemed like they really liked their jobs. The location is great, close to I95 and to the Naval Submarine base, where our son currently is. I was very happy with the whole experience. My husband thought the beds were a little hard, I thought they were fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

About half an hour from Foxwoods. Rooms are large and exceptionally clean. The staff is very friendly and knowledge about the local area. The price is right and the value gor the dollar spent is good.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Joel1951
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
#2 of 14 in Groton
Days Inn & Suites Groton Near the Casinos
Howard Johnson Inn Mystic
Holiday Inn New London - Mystic Area

Been to Best Western Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!