“No problems. Enjoyed our Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn

BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Groton
Lake Hopatcong
“No problems. Enjoyed our Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

I got this room for $98 total (taxes included etc). I stayed here Memorial day weekend in room 314. I was a bit skeptical based on the reviews but I have to say....I thought it was a nice hotel. Some things needed to be fixed but if you are looking for something inexpensive & CLEAN than I would recommend this hotel. It was a 10 min drive into Mystic. Very easy to get there and back. The pool was nice. There were quite alot of people in it. The free breakfast the next morning was decent. They had scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon (not the best), sausage patties, assortment of boxed cereals, breads and danishes. Overall my husband and I were very happy. Hotel staff was very nice as well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Attorneyreview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canandaigua, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Just spent 3 nights here and would never come back! Sink would not drain, air conditioner sounded like a tractor trailer was parked in the room. On our last night there the smoke alarm beeped low battery from 3:30 a.m. on and "Manager" would not take charge off the bill for the night! He said I should have called the desk and they would have sent someone up to install new battery. When I advised we really didn't want to have to get up and get dressed while a maintenance man came in he said there was no need to do that. My wife could have just stayed in bed and the man would have worked over her, as the alarm is directly over the bed. If this "Manager" is not the owner, the owner needs to remove him at the first opportunity. By failing to make this situation right he lost any chance of our returning to this facility or any of our friends staying there. As we and our friends are frequent visitors to the area his poor customer service decision will definitely result in the loss of far more than the cost he would have incurred by compensating us for a very uncomfortable, sleepless night! If you value customer service and good sense, STAY AWAY from this one!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank James S
bwolympicinn, Owner at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Guest demanded a free night because smoke detector's chirping (low battery warning) kept him awake. Guest never called to report problem, only at check out. I even offered half off but guest was belligerent. Him not coming back not a problem with us.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

We went to Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods and needed an affordable hotel to sleep in for one night. This fit the bill. The staff was super helpful and friendly. They offer a free shuttle on Sat. nights to Mohegan that runs every hour 5pm-2am, but make sure you sign up for it early. They fill up quickly. The hotel is very basic and is perfect if you're looking for a place to sleep and nothing more. They also had a very filling breakfast buffet for free. There's a Dunkin Donuts next door and its very close to the casinos. Free wifi. Only negatives were the electricity went out once for 15 seconds and our toilet clogged up- I would have been upset if it happened when we first arrived, but it happened as we were headed out the door, so it didn't ruin our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CeeDeeBoston
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

When you walked into the room it smelled like stale cigarettes and sweat. All the furniture looked like it came from a salvage yard. We lost power in the evening (I understand it was no fault of the hotel), but after about 30 minutes I feel someone should have knocked or called and asked us if we wanted some candles or at least give an update to what was going on. I like the Best Western chain and have stayed in many of them but I wouldn't recommend this any one.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

I have stayed in LOTS of hotels and this one stands out. EVERYTHING exceeded my expectations. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food was good. Rooms were clean. It was quiet. For the price - there isn't a better room in town. My only comment would be if I were traveling for pleasure - they don't allow animals - which is unacceptable when I travel for pleasure.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Newport News, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

I spent a week here on business with a couple other colleagues. Normally I would have stayed down the street at the hampton inn, but my colleagues insisted on this place, mostly because of the freebies they shell out to gov't travellers like us. If staying on the gov't rate, the hotel gives you a voucher for free breakfast buffet and $15 of "funny money" to use at the hotel's restaurant/bar each evening. Yes, that's $15 each evening, so if you're looking to save per diem dollars, this is the place to stay.

The restaurant is nothing special, and while I can appreciate the dining dollars for a couple nights, eventually I feel the need to get out into town and eat something different.

Rooms are normal midrange hotel type rooms, not overly clean, but not really dirty either. There was a fridge/microwave in the room which came in handy. The pool/hot tub were nice at the end of a long work day, as were the freshly baked cookies in the lobby each evening.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank waterlgged
North Eastern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

This is a good choice for the price if you want to visit the Mystic area, esp. during the summer season. The rates are much lower than those in Mystic, yet it's only minutes away. It's also not too far from Mohegan Sun Casino.
Though the lobby is small and unimpressive, it is clean and well-maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms were a pretty good size and featured a table and chairs as well as microwave and fridge for convenience. The bathrooms had a curved shower curtain rod, first featured in more expensive hotels, in order to allow for more space in the tub. Bathroom was small but clean. Only problems with the room: the bolt for the extra security lock was a little loose(but regular lock worked fine); one drawer was broken, though still useable; the remote control did not change channels quickly enough (but this was probably the fault of the service provider).
My friends were provided with a crib for their young child.
First-floor hallways were well-maintained. I liked the blue color of the carpeting.

I had trouble getting into the pool area with my key card, but upon hearing about my problem, the front desk staff immediately gave me a special card. The pool was fine. The whirlpool was larger than expected for this category of hotel.

We were each given $10 play money certificates good at the onsite restaurant. I ate breakfast for free, while my friends had to pay only a few dollars. My check was under $10. I had assumed that I would be forfeiting the two unused dollars, but I was surprised that I was given 2 "dollars" in change to use another time. The next day, we were each given another $10 certificate, which for me meant another free breakfast.
There are several restaurants on the same road as the hotel and there is a 24/7 Dunkin' Donuts adjacent to the property.

There's no view and it's not too fancy, but this hotel is a good choice for those who want to go to Mystic or to the casinos, esp. during the summer when hotel rates in Mystic are very high.

• Liked — Staff, location
  • Disliked — broken security door bolt, broken drawer
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ILoveAHotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton
#8 of 14 in Groton
Groton Inn and Suites
Groton Inn and Suites
#5 of 14 in Groton

Been to BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!