“Rip off”

Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 82 Restaurants in Guilford
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Ballou's is a casual and relaxed wine bar located adjacent to the historic Guilford Green. &. Ballou's is perfect for the night out with the girls or romantic get away. We have an out door patio that is dog FRIENDLY. Ballou's has an award winning WINE LIST with more than 80 wines by the glass and bottle beers. We are known for our "Wine Flights" three (3) pours of any of our wines by the glass! Sunday & Tuesday we have our Three Course Dinner $35 for (2). We offer a full menu including Cheese & Chocolate Fondue, Panini, Lobster Mac & Cheese and lots more.
East Haddam, Connecticut
“Rip off”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I finally had a night off with my husband, and we had a sitter-the stars seemed to align. We chose this restaurant because we had a gift certificate to there and I was really in the mood for some chocolate truffles. The people were very friendly and our food was average. We ordered wine flights-which was difficult to chose. They had many choices for wines, but most of them were very low end wines. I don't know about you, but my idea of a wine flight is to try expensive wines that I normally wouldn't spring for by the bottle! Middle sister wines? Seriously? Dessert time came and I ordered truffles, but alas, they were all out (apparently they only get made once a week and we were there the night before). So, trying to satisfy my sweet tooth, I ordered a 20 year old port to share with my husband. Our server, Heather, split it between 2 cordial cups so we could share. Nice thought, but when I told her the cups were only 1/2 ounce apiece and I was not happy with paying $15 for 1 ounce of port she tried telling me "oh no, our cordial cups are an ounce each, so you got the full 2 ounces". 2 ounces is a small pour to begin with, to be ripped off by half was completely unacceptable. Makes me wonder how much my wine pours really were. By the way Ballou's, I took the cordial cup home, filled it to overflowing, and dumped it into a measuring cup-precicely half an ounce. When we tried to pay with our gift certificate, they told us we couldn't leave a tip on it. They made us use a credit card instead for tip, since I wasn't carrying cash. There wasn't even a manager on to help. We left so unsatisfied that we had to go to Friends and Company in Madison for dessert. There we received friendly and efficient service and a huge dessert-all for $5

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank darcya33764

Clinton, CT
“Friendly Service & Attitude”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We visited this restaurant as a result of a Groupon discount. We sat in the bar area which was a pleasant venue. We each ordered our wine flight and a fondue offered on the Groupon. The waitress offered a small test of one of my wife's choices to be sure she would be OK with the choice. The wine and fondue were very good. We also ordered additional food, and for the most part, it was fine. The Italian Wedding soup and half salad or panini was very good My salad was a bit disappointing, it had large chunks of cabbage or lettuce and was quite spicy as a result of hot peppers which I wasn't expecting. If we had not had the discount voucher, the bill would have a bit high in my estimation. I'm not sure whether we will return or not.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank fwm
“So glad I went!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Most delicious food from appys to desserts-great wine selection! I would definitely return again! There is an outdoor area to enjoy in the warmer weather and several rooms indoors to choose for a sitting.

• Visited December 2013
Hamden, Connecticut, United States
“Not bad”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stopped in the other day.. miss read the sign and got seated in the pub area .. but that's ok. There was a nice but limited menu ( same menu as their restaurant ) , but most important the food was good. Waite staff attentive even if they did try and push wines. Would I go again .. I think so just to see if the first time was a fluke.

• Visited December 2013
Guilford, Connecticut
“Unique”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been to both locations-once for lunch, one for dinner. I like the variety of foods as well as the return of fondues at a restaurant. It's a wonderful and fun way way to relax over a leisurely meal with a loved one or aqn old friend. The wine selection is excellent as are the suggestions they make for what wines go best with the foods ordered.

• Visited June 2013