“Service ok, but serves stale bread and allows dogs in restaurant.”

Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ballou's Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 83 Restaurants in Guilford
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar, Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ballou's is a casual and relaxed wine bar located adjacent to the historic Guilford Green. &. Ballou's is perfect for the night out with the girls or romantic get away. We have an out door patio that is dog FRIENDLY. Ballou's has an award winning WINE LIST with more than 80 wines by the glass and bottle beers. We are known for our "Wine Flights" three (3) pours of any of our wines by the glass! Sunday & Tuesday we have our Three Course Dinner $35 for (2). We offer a full menu including Cheese & Chocolate Fondue, Panini, Lobster Mac & Cheese and lots more.
New Haven, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service ok, but serves stale bread and allows dogs in restaurant.”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Attended this restaurant for some wine and fondue. Wine was ok, but the bread served with cheese fondue was stale and tasted like it was cut a few days before.

On a second note, this restaurant allowed people to bring their dogs into it and let them sit at the tables.

This was not the experience we expected at a wine bar and we will not be going back.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank simmieats

Guilford, Connecticut
“great meal, great atmoshere and price was right”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Greatly surprised, had been there before shortly after they opened, then there was a limited tapa/salad type of menu. This time we sat in a quite area (nice for older clients, basically old people), They now have a full menu, I ordered loin of pork dinner, it was exceptional. Only wish they had a senior discount/AARP, only kiding. New place for me to go at least once a month.

• Visited February 2014
East Haddam, Connecticut
“Rip off”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I finally had a night off with my husband, and we had a sitter-the stars seemed to align. We chose this restaurant because we had a gift certificate to there and I was really in the mood for some chocolate truffles. The people were very friendly and our food was average. We ordered wine flights-which was difficult to chose. They had many choices for wines, but most of them were very low end wines. I don't know about you, but my idea of a wine flight is to try expensive wines that I normally wouldn't spring for by the bottle! Middle sister wines? Seriously? Dessert time came and I ordered truffles, but alas, they were all out (apparently they only get made once a week and we were there the night before). So, trying to satisfy my sweet tooth, I ordered a 20 year old port to share with my husband. Our server, Heather, split it between 2 cordial cups so we could share. Nice thought, but when I told her the cups were only 1/2 ounce apiece and I was not happy with paying $15 for 1 ounce of port she tried telling me "oh no, our cordial cups are an ounce each, so you got the full 2 ounces". 2 ounces is a small pour to begin with, to be ripped off by half was completely unacceptable. Makes me wonder how much my wine pours really were. By the way Ballou's, I took the cordial cup home, filled it to overflowing, and dumped it into a measuring cup-precicely half an ounce. When we tried to pay with our gift certificate, they told us we couldn't leave a tip on it. They made us use a credit card instead for tip, since I wasn't carrying cash. There wasn't even a manager on to help. We left so unsatisfied that we had to go to Friends and Company in Madison for dessert. There we received friendly and efficient service and a huge dessert-all for $5

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank darcya33764
Clinton, CT
“Friendly Service & Attitude”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We visited this restaurant as a result of a Groupon discount. We sat in the bar area which was a pleasant venue. We each ordered our wine flight and a fondue offered on the Groupon. The waitress offered a small test of one of my wife's choices to be sure she would be OK with the choice. The wine and fondue were very good. We also ordered additional food, and for the most part, it was fine. The Italian Wedding soup and half salad or panini was very good My salad was a bit disappointing, it had large chunks of cabbage or lettuce and was quite spicy as a result of hot peppers which I wasn't expecting. If we had not had the discount voucher, the bill would have a bit high in my estimation. I'm not sure whether we will return or not.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank fwm
“So glad I went!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Most delicious food from appys to desserts-great wine selection! I would definitely return again! There is an outdoor area to enjoy in the warmer weather and several rooms indoors to choose for a sitting.

• Visited December 2013