“Surprisingly Good”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Connecticut
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Dinner for two on Saturday night, we were thrilled to find this spot. The food is excellent, bread delicious, service friendly, and prices very reasonable.

We will come back.

West Haven
“Upper crust dining experience.”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

After reading so many poor reviews I was hesitatant to even drink at this restaurant let alone eat here. However, curiosity got the better of me and I did want to know what all the hul-a-ba-loo was about this so called MEDICIORE FILLET SANDWICH FOR 19 DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
We ordered the chicken quesadilla and the expensive sandwich. I ordered avocado on the Quesadillo.Our server brought us home backed coutry bread with oil and butter. The bread was to die for !!!!!!!!.
In France this is called Peasant Bread
Our food arrived and we were both pleasantly surprised at how the food was presented.The Fillet Sandwiched turned out to be an open faced sandwich.
I have not had a fillet this good since 1984, when I ordered an Argentinian fillet while vacationing in Playa Del Ingles Grand Canaria I have a Gourmet Pallet and would not bat an eye lash at paying $50 for this particular sandwich !!!!!!! So far I am very impressed with their food. I am beginng to wonder if some or all of these bad reviews were written by jealous competitors or just BRAINLESS CRACK HEADS FROM THE NEW HAVEN HOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Chef is no $10 per hour cook. He is a True Master and Artisan.
For anyone travelling through CT. Be sure to give this restaurant a try. Odds are you will be pleasantly surprised as we were.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Ann D
New York City, New York
“Love this new spot, highly recommend!”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I am one of those people that love great food, watches the food network and loves to cook. This restaurant is one of those rare finds because they have casual food and an upscale menu too. And these days everyone wants something different and great value for their money. They make their own bread and it is great. They have a wood fire grill and the burgers, steaks and salmon cooked on that grill are fabulous. I have eaten at the bar, which is a gorgeous granite bar with soft colors and comfortable booths. I have eaten in the dining room, which has booths and tables and seats large groups comfortably; the beach artwork is just lovely. On my most recent visit, October 8, they were very busy and probably needed extra servers, but my Hanger steak was fantastic. I had the apple crisp for dessert, which was big, but yummy. To me this restaurant reminds me of Hillstone, Smith and Wollensky or the Palm but much more reasonably priced with a larger menu and more casual atmosphere, which works for me. Highly recommend.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank eloiseplazanyc
Madison, Connecticut
“Belligerent, Hostile Man, Unterminable Wait - NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We had been to Splash before and it had been adequate.
On this day there were 5 old ladies. Our meal took an hour and a half and they were not even that crowded. When we asked the waitress, Why does it take SOOoo Long? she sent out the Angry Man. He ranted that it "takes 29 minutes to cook a hamburger!" (On what planet?) We asked for our bill to be adjusted due to the long wait and were given a screwed-up hostile "No Way, Go Away" face.
Obviously they do not care about customers or reviews.

• Visited June 2011
8 Thank JayJr
splashguilford, Owner at Splash, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Not only is this a completely exaggerated account of their experience, but this group frequently comes to the restaurant since we opened. On the day in question, I was working out on the patio where these women were sitting and their wait for their food was just not what they stated. It was exactly 23 minutes. In addition, often the sense of time to a customer just is not the accurate time that has elapsed and their food was cooked perfectly and I heard them tell their server exactly that. Often it is the case that those that are on the patio and away from the rest of the 180 seat restaurant don't realize that there is a large party taking place and numerous other diners, whose orders were placed well before theirs. In addition, the kitchen order system tracks the time of food preparation for exactly this reason. It was not until they finished their meal and received their separate checks that they chose to create an issue and ask for discounts. Finally, we constantly review our food prep times, cook times and customer feedback and at 7,893 Angus burgers sold to date, we are certain we are producing a phenomenal Angus burger in a more than reasonable time frame!!!
Madison, CT
“Bad and wrong food disgusting habits wait staff, lousy bar”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

When we arrived we were given a seat beneath the a/c outlets, so cold we could not stay there. We ordered a beer and a coke for drinks the coke arrived fairly quick the beer 10-15 minutes later which was now "flat" We ordered the bbq ribs but they were "out", this should have been a tipoff!. We ordered barbequed chicken and dusted flank steak over LINGUINE. The chicken arrived at the same time as the steak, the chicken was cooked and then sprinkled with BBQ sauce, the so called flank steak was tough and instead of the linquine I was give penne pasta, not what I ordered. As I did not want to let my wife eat alone and could not find a waitress either, I ate the pasta. After the meal I complained to tjhe waitress that I was given penne instead of linguine. She proceeded to argue with me that it was suppose to be penne until I got a menu and showed her. We got a half hearted excuse from the "chef". The waitresses were twirling with their hair in full view of the customers. No concessions were made or given as far the bill was concerned. I do not give them a lenthy run, and they will not see me again or any of our local friends!

• Visited June 2011
6 Thank Nederlander27
splashguilford, Owner at Splash, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
The difficulty for me as an owner is when a customer eats his entire meal and then vents on the waitress instead of raising a concern immediately at the time of service, so that it could easily be rectified. Having an issue? Speak up! Splash is a restaurant where one or more owners is available and accessible every moment of the day. We are open 18 hours per day and there is always one or more, or all three owners on site.

The customer writes that he cannot find a waitress to correct the wrong type of pasta until after he has eaten his entire meal. On the night this Customer visited, our front of house staff was as follows: 5 servers, a busser, 2 bartenders and 3 owners on site, serving over a 100 guests. Plating the wrong pasta noodle was certainly a mistake of ours; our build sheets on the cook line do specify exactly how each dish is to be prepared, so a complete review of these sheets with our line team will be swiftly taken.

Flank steak is a popular item at Splash. Since opening we have sold 1,391 orders. People rave about the Flank especially since it is Angus flank and so reasonably priced.

Splash is one of those restaurants where we make everything; we are busy and on some popular items, we run out. Ribs are great at our restaurant - they have a long cook time, are very popular and reasonably priced; you have to come early - sometimes, we run out, that's it. Many people call before coming to confirm that we have them.

At Splash. we strive to be exceptional; it's that simple. Our servers are friendly, focused and dedicated. Our food service reports are exceptional and our granite bar is beautiful. You are mistaken on all counts and to us your review is very suspicious.

Thank you for your feedback and Good Day.