“Atmosphere and Food Excellent”

Guilford Mooring Seafood
Ranked #15 of 82 Restaurants in Guilford
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Connecticut
“Atmosphere and Food Excellent”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great menu and food with excellent location by the Guilford waterfront. Eating outdoors is also very pleasant. Great specials also at the bar.

North Haven, Connecticut
“Non-existent Service. Teenagers as wait staff.”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A friend told us to check out the outdoor seating which is supposed to overlook the marina. We're been to The Mooring before so last Saturday we arrived at 5:30PM and sat outside. With a high wall behind the bar there is no view of the marina!!! Feels like you're sitting in a parking lot
We waited patiently for 10 minutes for any server to greet us and take our order but no one came! Other tables were served within one minute of being seated. I waived and called politely but the children, yes children, who are waiters and waitresses preferred standing inside and talking to each other at the indoor bar. This indicates a total lack of supervision.
I called over the hostess to complain and she said she's find our waiter. Guess what??? No one showed up.
Finally, after watching a third table of new arrivals being served immediately we got up and left. On the way out I told the hostess what happened and all she could say was "Sorry." No attempt to keep us there. We said, "Never again!"
The restaurant should have been packed with patrons, like the other shoreline restaurants at dinnertime on a Saturday, but The Mooring was almost empty! And service is probably one reason why. Check out the other recent reviews.
We drove along route 1 to eat at Bill's Seafood in Westbrook. Service and food are excellent AND less expensive than the Mooring.
The Mooring used to be well run with excellent food. Sadly, no longer the case.

3 Thank Dean S
RRV
“Fab shellfish - excellent service, too”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stopped by for lunch on way from Auburn, MA to West Haven, CT. Had 6 clams on half-shell, steamed Maine clams, fried belly clams and lobster roll; all were magnificent! Hard to decide if large clams steamed in wine, garlic, herbs and served with garlic butter and clams juice were better or not than the fab lobster roll with interesting spicing and no mayo or other additions to distract from the excellently prepared lobster which was very fresh, just "underdone" and tasted directly of the sea. Although their wine list is relatively small, they had an excellent Marlborough NZ Sauv Blanc. Service was excellent. A must return destination with a nice view of the piers and sound.

• Visited July 2014
“Good atmosphere and food.”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped for a late lunch. The food quality was good but was hoping for something better since it is on the water. The band that was playing was good but their volume made it difficult to have a conversation with our friends.

1 Thank stevekaz72
New Britain, Connecticut
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We went to have a nice lunch by the water. I have always like dinning here, but today was a little different. We shared a crab cake appetizer then each ordered a cup of soup and a salad as an entre. One salad had grilled chicken and I had Caesar Salad with seared tuna. While the food was good, the soup and salads arrived at the same time before we even had a chance to finish our appetizer. Not the worse thing to happen since the salads could wait until we finished our soups. But we did feel a little rushed. I had a friend who was a server and he called this type of service, "Turn 'em and burn 'em" Not what I expected at this restaurant or tthis price point. The problem was when I went to eat my caesar salad there was no dressing on it. I could not see that right away because the tuna was on top. I asked for dressing and got it promptly from one of the staff members. When I told the our server that the salad came without dressing she apologized and said se would speak to the kitchen staff. When the bill arrived I noticed a miscellaneous charge for 50 cents. The server said it was for the extra salad dressing. I reiterated that there was no dressing, so it was not extra. Again she said she would talk to the kitchen staff. I paid the 50 cents but I can't believe that on a $70 check they would charge extra for salad dressing.

• Visited June 2014