“Home away from home. But better!”
Review of Sound Reach

Sound Reach
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guilford
Sound Reach
Ranked #1 of 3 Guilford B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Home away from home. But better!”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I found this gem while looking for a place to stay in my old hometown to visit family. My son and I stayed in the room with two twin beds, and were pleasantly surprised to find out that half of the house was ours--Pam said she only rents out one room at a time, so no one has to worry about shared bathrooms. We had room to stretch out and enjoy coffee in the living room while working on our laptops. Pam and Larry made sure coffee was ready for me upon my early awakening. I so enjoyed taking the coffee out to deck and enjoy a cool morning sunrise from the east, with the views of Long Island in the distance to the south. The absolute forest silence giving way to birds tweeting was something you simply won't find in a hotel! The breakfasts were simple and delicious, and the conversation with Pam and Larry was a nice bonus. Two very interesting people with stories to tell. We will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: Just choose whichever bed scenario works best. Two twins or queen.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Just when I didn’t think I could find an affordable B&B, I was delighted to discover Sound Reach while on a trip to visit family & friends this spring. It is close to the best of the shoreline, but off the beaten path enough for enjoying some quiet time. Pam and Larry were lovely hosts, breakfasts were the fresh, healthy fare I crave, and the room was so comfortably furnished with a light, airy touch. And nothing can beat waking up to the sound of the birds in their lush, green setting in the Connecticut woods. I’ve recently recommended it to friends and am looking forward to my next visit this fall!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank DLT_10
Sackville, NB
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at Sound Reach, a superb Bed & Breakfast nestled in the Connecticut woods of Guilford. We've stayed at B&B's in many countries over many years, and this B&B ranks among the top three we have enjoyed.

What made this B&B so special for us is the location, the ambiance, the comfort of the accommodations, the quality of the breakfast, but above all, the amazing hosts, Larry and Pam, their delightful pet dog Piano, and the shy outdoor cat Oliver (who answers to the name of Pooh!)

Location: very close to New Haven (home of Yale University), Guilford is an old small Connecticut town, complete with a traditional "green" or town square, lined with shops ,including a fabulous bookstore, and a few good restaurants. Having said that, the best thing about the B&B's location is that it is nestled in the quiet Connecticut woods and feels as if it is miles from anywhere. In fact, it is a short drive to the Guilford Square, and an even shorter drive to Bishop's Market where an enormous variety of fresh fruits and vegetables grown in Bishop's gardens and orchard are available.

The ambiance is exactly as described on the Sound Reach's website. Unlike some B&Bs where one feels that the web site photos and description bears little resemblance to what one finds the reality to be, in this case I think the web site's representation of the beautiful cedar home, its artistic Scandinavian-in-feel interior, the outdoor gardens and trees, and the wonderful food is absolutely right! One of my strongest memories is of Pam's gorgeous wild and cultivated butterfly gardens at the rear of the house where at any time I could sit amid flowers and watch between 5 and 10 enormous butterflies basking on the flagstones or filling up with nectar on the profusion of blossoms.

Breakfasts were equally wonderful. My favourite was the light-as-a-feather scones which melted in my mouth...along with the fresh peaches and great coffee always at the ready. Of course, I made myself be good two mornings and eat cold cereal, but even that was great as Pam had in a good selection of healthy cereals to choose from.

Larry and Pam, the hosts, were so terrific that I feel as if we have two close new friends. They were never intrusive, and since we happened to be the only guests at the time, we often felt as if we had the entire house and gardens to ourselves. It turned out that they have many interests in common with us, not the least of which is beautiful music...I was in the area to give a concert...and it was fun to share musical things with Larry who is a superb recorder player with a strong interest in the performance of early music. (Imagine how exciting it was to be piped out on our last morning by Larry who was playing a sweet (soft) renaissance bagpipe! ) Pam has a tremendous eye for design and colour and her work as a photo editor made her a fascinating person for my partner to chat with. Her years living in Denmark has made a wonderful and quite special imprint in the interior of the home. Our room was comfortable, spacious, beautiful. The first morning we awoke around 6:00 and from our bed looked into the woods and saw two deer and a fawn.

Piano the dog was as powerful a presence for me as everything else. A quiet, gentle, medium-sized dog of mixed breeds, who is absolutely beautifully trained, Piano stole my heart. Stole it utterly and completely! I am in love with Piano. If you are lucky, Pam might lead Piano to do her tricks. That's all I am going to say about Piano.

Worth every penny. We plan to return. A superb week and one we will never forget.

• Liked — the beauty of the home and the facilities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Listeningtrees
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guilford
Tower Inn & Suites
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook

Been to Sound Reach? Share your experiences!