“True Hidden Gem”

Ranked #29 of 82 Restaurants in Guilford
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Description: Tired of the same old thing? We solve your “what’s for dinner” dilemma, with our ready-to-go dinners, made fresh every day-never frozen. We also make sandwiches, salads, soups, pasta sauces, entrees, sides and baked goods. Many options for vegetarians, vegans, gluten free. Voted Best Prepared Meals To Go on the Shoreline, New Haven Advocate 2012 and Best Cupcake in CT by Connecticut Magazine 2010 and 2008
New Haven, Connecticut
“True Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Excellent experience. Fantastic food, great people, quick food preparation. Don't let the speed fool you, this place is a winner!

My wife, daughter and I were in the area for an appointment when my 6mo old started getting hungry. Good timing! We were hungry too. Fast food was out because we needed a place to sit down so she could eat her mushed up veggies and I really prefer to not feed her in the car. So we started looking for a family friendly establishment. Right in Village Walk plaza we came across La Rosticceria. My wife looked in the window, saw that it was very casual, and waved me in. La Rosticceria is a deli-style establishment - counter, coolers, open floor, and three table - laden with windows facing the parking lot. The counter is loaded with freshly prepared foods, the menu has everything from deli sandwiches to elaborate Italian cuisine. Based on the awards on the wall, we noted they were also known for their cupcakes and baked goods.We were met by an incredibly gracious woman behind the counter who, upon asking if could sit and feed our daughter while we ate, continually made us feel welcome by bringing our food to us, warming water for our bottles and assisting with anything we needed during the course of feeding our fussy infant.

I ordered the Filet of Sole with Spinach and Capers that I saw in the case and just couldn't pass up. My wife ordered a Chicken Salad Sandwich. We both knew instantly this place is a winner. The food is excellent. The portion size is generous and appropriate for what is ordered. The staff is incredibly kind. The Chef/Owner came out to meet our daughter and ask us how we liked our food. I was so impressed by the staff and quality of food in such an unassuming location. We each finished with a cupcake. My wife had red velvet, I had candy apple. Excellent. I mean, really high quality stuff here. If for no other reason, go for the cupcakes! Very well put together, great icing/cake combinations and ratios. Rich and flavorful and just right to finish off an unexpected lunch.

This place is a real sleeper. If you are in Guilford or nearby, it's worth the detour to try some excellent food prepared by some truly kind people. The only drawback is it's a bit hard to find. It's humbly located in a small shopping plaza off the main road so keep your eyes peeled!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank jackson_on_vacation

Connecticut
“Great sandwiches!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

Had lunch here a number of times. Very friendly , fresh food, and great bread. Definetly worth a trip!

Connecticut
“Great Place in Plaza off Route 1”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have eaten here on several occassions. The owner/chef is a native of Italy. His sells meals prepared for take home, as well as salads, panninis, and sandiwches made to order. In addition he has several daily specials. A nice assortment of salads, sandwiches, and entrees.

Save room for the home made cupcakes! An article on counter shows that these tasty cupckes were recognized by Connecticut Magazine.

I have never been disappointed. Have taken co-workers, never a let down. highly recommended if you are out on the shoreline during the work week!

• Visited September 2011
New Haven, Connecticut
“Outstanding take-out Italian”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

The subject line says it all. Dynamite food to take home. Highly recommend if you want fine-restaurant grade food.

• Visited March 2011