“quiet but nice meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leuchars
Fife
“quiet but nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a Saturday evening meal a few weeks ago, theother diners in the window area were mostly elderly, and atmosphere was a bit flat and quiet, however this was more than made up for, by the varied menu and the excellent food! Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TMayesFife

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I stopped for lunch, they had a very good menu, I opted for the cullen skink as a starter and the fish pie for my main course, my wife did not have a starter but opted for the chicken pie. The soup was ok and fresh, the fish pie was dry as a bone and consisted mainly of mashed potato. My wife's chicken pie looked ok until you removed the pastry to see what could only be described as grey soup. We did not stay for anything else, one of the worst meals I have ever had and I eat out a lot especially in Fife.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ingy56
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was here on Saturday night with my aunt. She lives locally and has been lots of times and I have probably been there three or four times. We had an excellent meal. The staff were very friendly, particularly the young guy who served us There is a big car park and I have never found it difficult to get out of there even though it is right beside the main road.

Room Tip: I have never stayed there so cannot comment on the rooms or facilities.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Shesheanne
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stopped here for lunch two weeks ago. Nice welcome and best haddock ive had for a long time
Good menu with lots of choice. Enjoyed a couple of games of pool afterwards.Only negatives were a slightly surly waitress and the inns located at a busy crossroads so not easy getting out of carpark

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Realdiva50
St Andrews, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Recently enjoyed an evening meal here and really, in general was impressed with most aspects of this restaurant. Reviewing anywhere has to be realistic and essentially,you are not going to select the St Michaels Inn if what you want is a gourmet feast.However, on the evening that we ate there, we had good service, food which was hearty and good value for the price we paid and generally a pleasant enough meal.
Decor is dated and jaded as with nearly all eating places in Scotland - and hotels - but all in all, we had a nice enough experience.

Most restaurants use frozen chips so I expected this to be the case here also and it was - but, I have to say,I didn't at all like the frozen chips used here-they seemed to have a coating on them which is very unnatural - also not at all suitable for the many people who are coeliac, as the coating inevitably contains gluten- so not a positive in that respect - maybe the chef needs to be aware of that.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Fife, Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stopped off on the way back from Dundee, we didnt have a booking but there was a vacancy even though it was mothers day. The trip to Dundee was to take our mind off the recent bereavement with the meal to finish off a nice day. The young girl showed us to our table and was soon replaced by a young lad, we place our order for the gammon steak and the Balmoral chicken. We asked the waiter what the veg was and head advised chips, which we ordered along with a side salad. The drinks were supplied and shortly afterwards the starter arrived for me, tempura prawns, deep fried prawns served with a chillie sauce.
The batter on the prawns could have done with a little longer in the deep fat fried as the batter was still a bit soft, we then sat back and awaited the main course to which mine duly arrived, my wifes arrived in a bowl of chips and a side salad. I believed that the other dish would shortly arrive when the waiter returned to the kitchen so started to eat my meal. Whilst eating my meal I noticed that the staff appeared to be congregating around the bar area for some reason, trying to get attention to order my wife another drink was nearly impossible. When I did get someones attention I then awaited another 5 mins before the drink arrived, it was at this moment that I inquired as to my wife's meal, he looked a bit lost and then rushed off into the kitchen. He came back shortly and then attempted some form of apology and explained there was a minor problem in the kitchen and that the meal would be delivered soon. I continued to eat my dinner, calling over a waitress to take away the bowl of chips as by this time they were cold and needed heating. At this moment my wifes meal arrived and there were chips on the plate along with seasonal vegetables which were supposed to be a side salad. Needless to say both my wife and myself were totally unimpressed with both the service and the actual meal and since we were already suffering from the bereavement we left the location as soon as we had finished our meal. Im sorry but I have to say that this has been the worst service that I have received in some time, I do travel a lot and dont expect a lot but I do expect to be served adequately and served what we order. For £50 (Actually £48.10) the meal was appalling to say the least.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Scotsnomad
St Andrews
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is a nice relaxing place to eat, the food is we'll cooked and tasty, all is clean, however Toilet lets it down could do with refurb of Bar toilet, However that would not put you off.the staff friendly and attentive and I got the impression that the Management does go the extra mile. Well done.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leuchars
Premier Inn St Andrews Hotel
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#4 of 18 in St Andrews
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,933 reviews

Been to The St Michaels Inn? Share your experiences!