“Pictures are deceiving............”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hamden
Wayne, New Jersey
“Pictures are deceiving............”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked this hotel because the pictures they showed showed a nice, renovated property, with close proximity to the venue I was going to be at. Well, when I got there, it was a dump! Even my two kids could't believe how bad it was. The bathroom was disgusting - there was black gunk on the outside of the tub - I was afraid to open the curtain to see what it looked like on the inside. The dust and grime in the bedroom was just as bad. The lights by the bed didn't work, the tv was so old, only one light on the desk worked and the floor in the bathroom had hair on it. Needless to say, I skipped the shower. One plus - the beds weren't bad and the sheets were clean and crisp. I'm glad I didn't have to pay full price because even at the price I paid, I paid too much. Luckily it was close to the Toyota Oakdale Theater. The help was nice, but it doesn't make up for the shambles the property is.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mikandtee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Madison, CT
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I've been staying here weekends for months now. I've had no issues with cleanliness or staff. The Manager Judi has been great! Located on campus at Quinnipiac & close to my kids, it's very convenient for the divorced dad that lives a hour away... Thx

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I chose this particular facility based on its name (most Days Inns I have stayed at have been clean and well kept) and it's location near Quinnipiac. I only stayed one night.
First, at check in the receptionist informed me my king room was ready. I had reserved 2 double beds. Fortunately there was a double available and she quickly made the switch. She did not however quote the price, necessitating a stop in the lobby at check out to confirm. The plug on the desk lamp was broken and the outlet between the beds was broken and would not hold the plug of a medical device which fortunately had a long enough cord to reach to the desk outlet which was available due to the inability to plug in the lamp. One of the washrags in the bathroom had a dark stain on it (ewww... I don't want to know) and the "heat" lamp in the bathroom did not get warm at all. Overall, not a great value. If the room cost $39.99, I would have been able to overlook most of these issues (except the washrag). I have a student at QU but will probably stay slightly farther away for the same money and nicer facilities

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Booked two nights at this hotel on Hotwire for the cheapest rate in the area by far. The hotel is an old, rundown place in the suburbs (very close to Quinnipiac and a safe, quiet area) with only the most basic of amenities. The shower was loud and sounded like a motor and because of a broken shower head, the water pressure could not be adjusted. The toilet seat was old, chipped, and clearly needed replacement, as was the furniture in the room (which was on the smaller side). There were no lighting fixtures in the room that worked except 2 lamps, which led to nothing happening when I checked in and turned the light switches on. However, the bed was surprisingly large and comfy, with a nice, thick comforter; the bedding appeared very clean, leading to a far better sleep experience than I expected (also lifted up the mattress-- no sign of bedbugs).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamden
Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel
#5 of 12 in New Haven
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven

Been to Whitney Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!