Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
A great bike hire shop!

I have always been pleased with the service I receive from Mapes of Millport. Recently, the owner... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Alan B
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
Safe Cycle

Mapes of Millport offers a delightful experience with their fun and friendly service. The staffs... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Syed M

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews great service cycle round e bikes electric bikes couldn t pick up and drop trip round friendly staff excellent value bike ride day trip family tradition great price bike shop scott hire helmets
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 April 2019

We brought a large group of work mates along to Millport this week to get everyone back on their bikes. We tried the other bike shop who weren't very helpful. Luckily Mapes to the rescue. Scott arranged all 16 of our bikes and was just really friendly and helpful. I'd highly recommend using Mapes.

2  Thank Jadecatherinegraham
799scottf, Owner at Mapes Of Millport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2019

wow, thanks so much for this lovely review we really appreciate the fact that you took the time to review us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2019 via mobile

Having hired bikes with the family, on initial arrival the young lad who served us was delightful so we hired four bikes, which looked sub-standard to say the least. As we were only on the island for a short time and not going ‘off-road’ we took them anyway. BIG MISTAKE!

No safety checks were completed by the staff to ensure helmets fit properly or that the bikes were of the right height, so you need to do that yourself which is ok.

We made a recommendation on our return for them to just let people know the chain cover was missing on one of the bikes so they may want to highlight that next time they hire the bike out and simply pointed out damage to personal property caused by this, not for any reason other than to ensure no one else experienced anything similar, to be pretty much told by the owner “Sorry, but tough! that’s your fault, for not checking everything over thoroughly before hand.”

When I highlighted the checking of the bike was his job, bearing in mind no safety checks were completed before hand and the spikes on the ‘chain wheel’ were quite sharpe I was told “you should have checked the disclaimer”

When I asked what disclaimer as again none of this was pointed out at the start, it was rudely pointed out and did not mention anything about checking the quality of the bikes. There was vague reference to the use of cycle helmets/equipment only.

All in all, to cut a long story short, I found the owner to be very rude and dishonest with a distinct lack of due care and attention for anyone’s safety.

I appreciate the bikes may ‘possibly’ be well serviced, (although that is doubtful as not long after we left the shop a bike chain fell off, which we put back on ourselves as we didn’t want to cause a fuss by phoning the store to wait for them to come out to fix it.

Please if hiring from here, don’t be fooled by the initial ‘good’ customer service and nice welcome, it’s a con from a business that clearly doesn’t care, which is clearly proven and experienced when something goes wrong.

Hi Fran

Many thanks for your review.

Coming from a retail background I have always run with the mindset of:
Customer Service Rules:
Rule 1 the customer is always right
Rule 2 if the customer is wrong to go back to rule 1

However, on this occasion, I MUST address some of the points made, because they are wholly inaccurate.

Point one
The bikes were not substandard and functioned perfectly – I know this because they are serviced regularly and they are designed for off-road so you could have if you wanted to. We are the only bike shop on the island that has paid to put our staff through an industry recognised training qualification, gold level Velotech and all our bikes are maintained to the standards set by them. A chain coming off more likely to be down to miss use by the person cycling and not a servicing issue, however thanks for mentioning this.

Point two
We provide helmets and information on how to use however we would naturally hope that individuals would be able to put a helmet on themselves as this is something that one would expect an ability to do – however if unable to put a helmet on we are happy to help fit it – however you did not ask so we have to accept that you are happy to do so, we do pick the bikes and fit the bikes to the individuals so again that isn’t correct.

Point three
When you came back you did not put forward a recommendation, you quite aggressively advised that your baggy trousers got torn by a bike without a chain guard – now again another false comment is that I said “tough”, now what I did say was that I am sorry this happened but I happened to mention, as I am sure you will remember, that not all bikes have chain guards and that we do provide trouser clasps for people who haven’t dressed for the occasion however again we were blamed for not offering you these, again as you will remember I pointed out that you can tuck baggy trousers into socks however you again quite aggressively stated that your socks weren’t long enough. There is a certain amount of due diligence and risk assessing that you need to do before you do anything in life and this includes go for a cycle which again we cannot force you to do however we do also have signs up to say trouser clasps available. I suppose as an example I personally do not eat spaghetti bolognese in a white t-shirt however if I did and I dropped some sauce on my t-shirt and stained it I do not blame the chef or the restaurant.

Point four
Again as mentioned we do check and service the bikes regularly. The chain wheel does need to have sharp bits called teeth to allow the chain to go over the chain wheel, that is sadly how a bike works I can’t be held accountable for this.

Point five
When mentioned that we do have a disclaimer you again quite aggressively stated it was hidden whilst staring at the certificates we have on the wall for our industry recognised qualified mechanics. As I pointed out as soon as you walk into the shop the disclaimer is right in front of you and very difficult to miss, again I can’t be held accountable for this. It does CLEARLY state:
“all in my party recognise that cycling carries risks and that we are aware of these risks”
This is what I pointed out not about the helmets.
To be honest, as I said on the day I am sorry that you ripped your trousers whilst out for a cycle however I did not appreciate that you aggressively tried to bully me into admitting that it was my fault and when I wouldn’t do so this seemed to infuriate you more.

I cannot see how I could have done more to help with this situation short of buying you new baggy denim's. I have not even mentioned charging you for the damage caused to my bike by your daughter who admitted to crashing it, I am sure you didn’t notice me asking to make sure she was ok after the accident which she admitted to causing and I am glad she was wearing a helmet – which I didn’t charge you for. Also, I was delighted to see how happy she was that she got a certificate.

Reviewed 14 April 2019

We had this hire shop recommended to us and it did not disappoint. We were unsure as to whether we should hire the 4 seater bike or tandems and we were advised to take the tandems. We were unsure if we would be able to manage but it turned out really well. Tandems aren’t too difficult to ride after all. We hired them to ride around the island and it was a very reasonable cost. It turned out to be a really good family experience which I would recommend. The owner was very helpful and friendly. Definitely a place to visit if you have chance and want to cycle round the island.

Date of experience: April 2019
ScottF2892, Owner at Mapes Of Millport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2019

Thanks so much for your review John. We certainly hope to see you again. Maybe next time it will be less windy and we can get you out on the quad. 😉

Reviewed 13 April 2019 via mobile

Visited Millport on 10th April and as always made my way to Mapes for bike hire. Couldn't recommend this place enough. Was very busy when i arrived but everything was under control and staff very polite and efficient The toy shop is fantastic as well, loads of stock for all ages. Well worth a visit. The staff are first class, huge knowledge of bikes and so nice and friendly. Couldn't do enough for you.. I will definitely be back again very soon.

1  Thank Jacqueline M
ScottF2892, Owner at Mapes Of Millport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2019

Thanks so much for your positive review. It really means a lot to us that we deliver the best service. Wednesday was such busy day, it was the busiest we had seen this year and our team were amazing. I cant thank all the Mapes of Millport team enough for all their help and their hard work. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2019 via mobile

We rented 4 bikes today, as did most of the West of Scotland. Queue was out the door. The owner apologised for our wait, didn’t hurry us and had a laugh with our boys. The stress they were under was immense- he handled it all calmly and the way he acted with his staff and children who were working was excellent. He thanked them every time they did something and every time they offered to help. It was nice to see a good boss. I think this is why the turnaround was so quick. Excellent, family friendly, good bikes, friendly atmosphere, very reasonable prices. No need to go anywhere else - it was perfect here. Thank you 😊

1  Thank angelikah253
ScottF2892, Owner at Mapes Of Millport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2019

Wow thanks so much for this wonderful review. You're righ, my team pulled an absolute blinder yesterday under extreme pressure. I cant thank them enough. We hadn't expected such a turn out and as not summer yet were are not up to full staff. Hope to see you again soon.