“Lovely Rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millport
The Royal George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Millport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having stayed here a few times I can only say that the rooms are lovely, the views spectacular ( if you're at the back) and the staff friendly. However, I feel that the breakfast lets it down. There is no fresh fruit, a lack of choice of cereals and the cooked breakfast is inadequate and not good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tricia M
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for your review; I am glad that you enjoyed the most of your stay at the Royal George - however I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your breakfast.
There should be fresh fruit, 2 choices of fruit juice and breakfast is cooked to order; we have never had a complaint about breakfast - if anything we have had many complements but I have recently employed a new member of staff to cook breakfast. I will monitor breakfast over the next few days and make changes/employ training as required.
I feel that breakfast is a large part of a guest's stay at a hotel and will ensure that we regain our former standards.
Please contact me via email and I will send you a gift certificate for your next stay at the Royal George.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was at the same birthday weekend and would just like to say that the food was good too. So good that Jackie the manager thought that I'd licked my plate. The curry was lovely. Would return for a quieter weekend too!!!

Room Tip: Sannox looked out over the sea. Scenic. Rooms on other side of hotel overlook the square...good if...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caulieflowerlettuce
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My whole family stayed here last weekend for my son's 30th birthday. There were 21 of us and we were made to feel most welcome. The staff organised tables for us and kindly brought out the birthday cake after dinner. The rooms were equipped with towels /toiletries etc . The bar staff were very friendly and helpful despite us being quite a noisy bunch. ! I have no complaints and would certainly return for another (quieter) stay .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jeana58
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Dont know where the earlier reviewer was, but Ive always found the rooms to be spotless, the staff,friendly and the scenery gorgeous. The rooms are spacious and mine had a balcony overlooking the sea and it was perfect for a romantic weekend away with my partner. Highly recommend

Room Tip: I loved the room with the sea balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FanHeater
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited the Royal George with friends for an evening meal and although the decor was rather run down the atmosphere was good and the service quick and the staff very friendly. We even discovered that Elvis Presley was a regular visitor to Great Cumbrae! A good selection of dishes on the menu and at very reasonable prices. Easy parking and the hotel is right next to the harbour - a good view and the bus to the ferry stops outside.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rossergruffydd
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have just read a response to a review left by my partner. In it the manager practically calls us liars. We DID have to wait half an hour to get a key to the wrong room. Also, the statement that two different rooms were booked in the same name. Again, untrue. The name for our room had been taken incorrectly by the hotel.
A point I would like to make, in the hospitality business usually a hotel/restaurant/bar go out of their way to make sure guests/clients are content. They also take feedback in and use it to improve their service. Simply replying with allegations of lying and weak excuses is not good enough. And a decent hotel would have offered discount after showing guests to the wrong room and failing to provide them with a working shower in the morning.

Room Tip: Faulty towers. I'd camp in the future.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank jonnyginge666
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

here is a copy of my response to your partner's review
10 October 2012

Thank you for your review.
I do remember your stay as we do not often have a mix up with keys, however I am positive that you did not have to wait half an hour for a key.
As was explained to you the problem arose because we had two guests with the same name both book standard rooms for the same weekend - the other guests arriving the day before you did and were given the standard room booked to you. As this was a mistake it appeared that the key for your room was missing and you were given a spare key for the room which was already occupied. This was an error on our behalf for which I do apologise, as both rooms are exactly alike you were then shown to the other room.
No request for any discount or compensation was made.
As for the problem with the showers - again as would have been explained to you that occasionally when the Island (not just the hotel) is very busy the water pressure can drop; if the setting on the shower is changed from that which is marked as recommended for use then the power will not come on - I have not ever had an occasion when the showers have not worked when used at this setting.
Your comment about Karaoke really surprises me though, as we did not have Karaoke on the evening of your stay - entertainment that evening was a Cabaret night.
Can I also add that any complaint addressed to the management is dealt with in a courteous manner and any issues raised as to service or facilities are also dealt with to make improvements. I must admit however that direct communication with any management is more likely to achieve a positive outcome than a gripe on a public website where the management response to a what can often be an anonymous review can takes days to be published.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed overnight in the Balmoral Room. On arrival we were shown through the bar area which was pretty dated to the reception desk. Well what can I say except chaotic and untidy. There appeared to be a separate entrance for residents but it was so untidy and looked awful. However our room was nice bright and had a super sea view, nice toiletries, fluffy towels and plenty tea and coffee, the only thing that let it down was the 2 holes in the wall where something had clearly fallen off and the curtain at one end was hanging off the rail, may sound trivial but all it takes is the owner to do a room inspection once a week to keep things up to date. Overall it was good and certainly good value.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Lesley M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millport
Brisbane House Hotel
#5 of 24 in Largs
Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
#9 of 24 in Largs

Been to The Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!