The Royal George Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$153
US$128
Seamill Hydro(West Kilbride)(Great Value!)
US$201
The Waterside Hotel(West Kilbride)
US$229
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroyal georgebeer gardenbalmoral roombalcony overlookinggreat breakfaststaff were lovelycooked scottishlovely meallounge areanice barfew daysworth a visitcould not have been more helpfulfriendly atmospherea lovely stayfriends and familymargaret
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My original review for this establishment was written in August 2006- and since then the hotel has had a massive refurbishment, and has improved beyond recognition.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We have been to this hotel for 5 days. The rooms was very nice. We booked a suite with a great view over the harbour and Little Cumbrae. We had to differetn rooms, one of them had a steam shower and the other one had a jazussi. We realy enjouey our trip to this hotel and Millport.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AinaNorway
Reviewed 20 June 2009

This is the first time that I have ever written a review but feel that it had to be done because of the other reveiw for the Royal George Hotel. That reveiw caused me 2 weeks of stress.
Like the lady who wrote that reveiw I also booked the hotel for a group of workmates; I had not read her reveiw before booking (one of my workmates did after we had booked - hence the stress) If I had read the reveiw I would not have booked and we would have missed out on a wonderful weekend.
Jennycreche says that the hotel has a very mosdest website with no booking facility - perhaps it has been changed since but I found the website to be very informatiive with facilities to contact the hotel with your accommodation needs.
I emailed them with our details, 5 women looking for a fun weekend in Millport.
I received a reply giving descriptions of rooms available & prices.
After discussing the options we decided on the Craw's Nest which offered 2 twin bedrooms, a sitting room, ensuite shower and a balcony overlooking the Firth of Clyde.
I phoned the hotel to place the booking; Jennycreche says that the phone was answered by "someone who sounded as if she was contemplating ending it all" I certainly didn't speak to that person, the woman that I spoke to was very friendly, gave me lots of information and within a few days I received written confirmation of our booking, again with all the information needed.
That's when my stress began; I photocopied the confirmation for my workmates and one of them checked out Trip Advisor and after reading the reveiw suggested that we I had booked the hotel from hell.
For the next 2 weeks I suffered from all sorts of comments about our up & coming "fun weekend"
Jennycreche says that she was greeted by a manager with an "oddly aggressive manner" all the way to Millport from Glasgow my workmates teased me about "the dragon"
Dragon? Agressive manner? We were greeted by a very friendly woman who showed us to our suite, giving us information about breakfast, other meals & entertainment in the hotel.
I had collected the money for the stay & because of the comments made by Jenny creche had sealed it in an envelope with the confirmation letter, determined that I would not have to get into a long discussion about prices.
I shouldn't have worried - there was no problem, I was given the option of paying by card or cash, if we had wanted to pay individually it would not have been a problem, I wasn't just asked if I needed a receipt, I was asked if any of us needed a receipt.

Our suite was fantastic. The Craw's Nest hinted that it was at the top of the building, which it was, there were quite a lot of stairs at least it seemed that way to me having to carry the extra burden of having booked a hotel which had received an excruitiatingly bad reveiw.
But so far no signs of the horrors that Jennycreche seems to have experienced.
The suite was way beyond our expectations of a holiday hotel.
The rooms were massive, including the bathroom, giving us loads of room for the titivating required for a night out, the shower was pure luxury, a power shower with body jets and loads of hot water.
One bedroom, which would have been big enough to sleep all of us had French doors leading to a balcony which gave us marvellous views over the Firth of Clyde, the sitting room again was huge, the other bedroom had an en-suite toilet.
The decor & furnishings were stunning.
There was a very informative welcome pack giving loads of information about the hotel & the island.
We had a great day on the Island and a lovely meal in the hotel, the food was excellent and reasonably priced.
There was a live band in the bar that night - we had a great time the band were brilliant and the atmosphere was great. but as we were going up to bed I started to worry again.
We knew that breakfast was being served in the bar, Jennycreche said that the breakfast room was very cold, the door was locked and the staff were grumpy.
Again our experience was totally different. When we went down for breakfast , the bar where we had danced the night before had been transformed, tables were set with pristine table cloths, there was a buffet table for orange juice & cereal and the waitress was anything but grumpy, even after taking our order for 5 different breakfasts.
We thouroughly enjoyed our breakfast including the extra tea & coffee that was offered and just could not understand the terrible reveiw that the hotel had received.
Too embarassed to mention this reveiw to the staff we asked if the hotel had been taken over recently, it had - 2 years ago and had been completely refurbished.
I don't know if Jennycreche stayed at this hotel before orr after it had been taken over but our experience was the total opposite from what we expected after reading her reveiw.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Please ignore previous review. There was a total misunderstanding and the situation has now been resolved by Margaret Kennedy and myself. Good luck to her in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple