“FANTASTIC!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millport
The Royal George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Millport B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

staff we friendly and very outgoing!
our room smelled amazing and have a fantastic view!
the bath was sensational you could fit 4 ppl in it, not that we did.
food was traditional pub grub which was great!home made steak pie and freshly battered fish perfect hangover cure after a night in the bar alcohol is cheap and altho the bar area may not be busy at times (as its a small quaint island)the bar staff keep you entertained!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Citizen of the World
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

I travelled down to Millport with three members of Falkirk Scooter Club on 21st August as part of the Scottish Scooter Scene Magazines mini Millport Rally.

When we arrived at the hotel to check in the bar was mobbed with day trippers and people who were attending the rally and I made my way to the bar to ask where to check in, despite the staff being rushed off their feet trying to cope with the demands of over 100 thirsty scooterists the barman took me to see Margaret the manageress of the hotel who I had booked the room with and she showed us to our accommodation for the weekend.

We had booked the "Craws Nest" which was right at the top of the hotel and it consisted of two bedrooms with a communal sitting area between them,two bathrooms one with a shower both with wash basins, the rooms had been recently refurbished and I must say they exceeded our expectations being tastefully decorated and very modern in
appearance.
We had a private balcony with panoramic views over the Firth of Clyde with some stunning and dramatic scenery.
The rooms were very clean and when we arrived there were not enough bath towels for the four of us but when I asked about getting some more they were put in the room for our return, no problem at all.
The beds were clean and very comfortable even the pull out sofa in the lounge area was given the thumbs up by Squadron Leader Polson who snored away there all night!

As I have said the bar was mobbed and there was a wait of about 45 mins for food but hey! the atmosphere was brilliant and the drink was cheap( good beer).
I think that we were there on a particularly busy weekend and the staff were stretched to the max but in my opinion they did a great job and managed to keep a cheery disposition in the face of the onslaught!
There was entertainment in the bar at night with a duo performing a good mixed set of old and new songs, the crowd was mixed with old and young and locals and visitors in attendance.
Breakfast in the morning was served in the rear dining area of the bar by Margaret the manageress and again what ever we wanted we got, most of our party plumped for the full Scottish (brilliant) one of our party being a vegetarian had a few quirky requests and again he was accommodated without a problem and we were supplied with lashings of toast and tea,this without us even having to ask!
The group all agreed that the Hotel was one of the best places that we have stayed for our weekends away.

Yes there are a few small problems that could be looked at, but take it from me I have stayed in hotels all over Europe and I have paid a lot more for a lot less!

I am planing to take my wife down to Millport for a short break before the end of the season and I will definitely be staying at the Royal George.

Gleneagles it is not but it never tried to be, it offers good value for money and that is more than can be said for a lot of hotels in Scotland today!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Heswall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as we had a free weekend and fancied a couple of days in Millport.

We paid £140 for 2 nights in a standard room called Vital Spark. On arrival we thought the room looked good as you could tell the hotel had been refurbished to a good standard. Unfortunately there were cob webs and spiders all around the inside of the window and all over the ceiling, I also had to swat about 7 or 8 flies that were all over the inside of the windows there were also some dead flies on the windowsill, not a good start!!
The bed was comfy and the room a decent size for a couple of nights stay however the shower was not the best, water pressure was poor and it was freezing one min and roasting the next. We also never received fresh towels on our second day, the wet ones were just hung over the shower cubical for us to use again.

On our first night we went down to the dining area to have dinner about 19:15 and although the dining area was open, menus on the tables and about 3 bar staff standing serving no-one, it took another couple who had just tried to order food to tell us that they had stopped serving dinner at 18:30!!! We ate in a little place across the road called The Harbour and the food and service were both fantastic!!

We decided to have lunch in the Hotel on the Saturday as we now knew that they stopped serving food at 18:30. I'll not go on too much about this as we ended up not paying for our lunch after waiting 1 HOUR 45 MINS for 1 Chilli con carne and 1 Pizza!!! The place was mobbed with lots of Scooter clubs having turned up but we were told our food would take 45 mins so instead of lunch at 14:15 we ended up with it at 16:00 and then couldn't eat too much when we went out for dinner as we had already booked a table in the Chinese for 20:00!! The food in the Chinese was fantastic and you really need to book as we tried to change our table to 21:00 after what happened with lunch but we couldn't do so it was full. The only plus point was that the food we waited 1hour 45mins for was very nice when it eventually arrived and like I said, after complaining about the wait we ended up not having to pay for it!

Hotel is in a good location, right on the Harbour and has great views out over the firth of Clyde and food is good.

I think that they have made an effort to have the hotel looking good however there are too many things that let the hotel down, and for this reason I would not return or recommend this hotel to friends or family!

"Clean the rooms better, take a little more interest in your guests and ask your bar staff to cheer up"

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zoso1978
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
As you are aware from the response to your complaint about the wait for food I take complaints very seriously and do my best to deal with any complaint to the customer's satisfaction.
I am suprised that you did not come to me about your shower not working properly as the guests who were in the Vital Spark after you did so and the shower has now been replaced.

We do stop serving food at 6.30pm, however for residents we continue serving meals as required. I have checked back on the rotas for the dates of your stay; one of the barmen who was on duty no longer works here (partly because I would agree that he did not take enough interest in guests!) however the other barman is a person whom I know to always ensure that guests and customers are made welcome and is more than happy to go out of his way to ensure that customers needs are met.
I will investigate the issue of dead flies and wet towels as there is no way that this should happen. Guests should always receive fresh towels every morning.
During the month of August we are very much aware of the fact that there are a lot of flies about, we pay a company to treat the outside of the window frames with a deterrent, cleaning staff are instructed to dust all around the windows and ceilings after every departure; however as I have never seen any sign of cobwebs or spiders in rooms that I have inspected I would have appreciated it if you had pointed this out to me at the time.

Travellers are raving about these Millport hotels

Radcliffe on Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We were on the island of Cumbrae for one night only, in the rain. We found the George and went in to ask for a room. We bought a drink and ask the barmaid if there were rooms available. "Don't know" was all she managed. Apparently the Manageress was upstairs and would be down in a couple of minutes. One hour later, drinks finished, we left. How to operate a business? Not like that. We did not return for drinks or food during our stay. They did not deserve our custom. Instead we went to Westbourne House and had the most amazing welcome from Stuart. Go there instead.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ddickinscoll
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2010
I was shocked when I read your review as all members of staff at The Royal George Hotel are aware of the availability of rooms at any given time, however without details of when this incident occured it is not possible for me to look for any explanation.
Every member of staff at the hotel is aware of how important visitors to the island are and I have never known any member of my staf to give such a curt reply to a request for accommodation. Along with information relaing to our own availability bar staff have available to them information relating to other accommodation providers on the island and are more than happy to relate this information to visitors. Often my bar staff have phoned other accommodation providers (including Westbourne House) to secure accommodation for visitors as the hotel is usually the first port of call for visitors looking to book ad hoc
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

I Stayed for 3 nights having originally only booking for 1, as I was travelling alone I thought 1 night would be enough and then I'd be off to spend the remainder of my time in Scotland back in Glasgow, not the case, I had the most wonderful welcome from a Lady called Margaret, who showed me to my room, which was very clean and comfortable and she took the time to advise me of everything I wanted to know about the hotel, local shops and pubs and things to do etc, on the Island. Although I am a frequent traveller I am rarely on my own, but here I was Made to feel as If I had Known the Staff and a few of the bar customers for a long time, everyone seemed very friendly. I will definatley be back in Millport and in The Royal George Hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank corotelo
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

I had the Pleasure to proform a gig at the Hotel , My first time in Milport i was lost for words from the reception received. From the Hotel Staff in general ( special Margaret ) to the quality of of the Rooms, the food and the customers.
Been a Dj for almost 20 years have to say that was a place that i would go back anytime. I had an amazing night with amazing people.
I would Like once again to Thank you Margaret and the staff and really hope to see you all again soon.
100% recomended in every aspect.
Here couple a photos from the view that you can enjoy from the room..absolute amazing.
Jorge

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jmar68
GLASGOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stayed her for 1 night and was impressed.It has been refurbished a few months ago and was good value.Situated right at Millport Pier and has only a few rooms.We stayed in the Lord Of the Isles room and the view we had was breathtaking over to little Cumbrae and the Firth of Clyde we upgraded to this room which had a jacuzzi bath and coloured mood lighting in the bath room which was nice touch.You are served breakfast in the bar and was fine.My only complaint was on looking out the juliet balcony looking down to the beer garden it was just a bit messy and I think a half an hour tidy up would make it all fine.All in all a great wee palce and very good value for money./

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOHN1873
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
John
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.
I am very much aware that the beer garden can become messy - it is a wee sun trap with some of the best views on the island so is well used.
I have recently had CCTV installed which means that the bar staff can see the beer garden from the bar and are now aware of when it needs to be cleared or tidied throughout the day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millport
Seamill Hydro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
The Broom Lodge
The Broom Lodge
#11 of 24 in Largs

Been to The Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!