“Ideal place to have a short break!!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Pear Tree Cabin

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
My own pub in nearby Devizes!
The canal just a minute walk away!
Three Magpies pub literally opposite!
Caen Hill Locks 2 miles away, lovely walk along towpath from the cabin!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 3 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Margot L
“Cabin adequate, proprietor inhospitable”
Reviewed 14 May 2018 for a stay in April 2018

Please check the date of the photos of the cabin, I think they date from when it was first erected some years ago. My dog trashed a venetian blind and the proprietor very properly asked for compensation. So far so fair; but at 22:00 on my last night he impounded the cabin key so that I could check neither the blind nor the dog without first handing over £200 in cash. (The blind replacement proved to cost £107.) An utterly utterly horrible experience. --He also left no water in the cabin on my day of arrival when he cannot have thought that I would carry a bucket of water 300 miles to cope with the advertised water stoppage. I could not wash after my 300 mile drive.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
21 May 2018
Let me add some truth to this story then. In 5 years of letting our cabin I have not had a worse guest than this lady. I accepted this booking on the basis that animals would not be left alone at the cabin and were not to enter the bedroom area. I accepted that the dog could enter the bedroom area at night after the lady said he would whine all night.

I informed the guest 2 days before scheduled arrival that there was the possibility of a water stoppage on the 2nd day of her stay for a short period of the afternoon and that she could fill the kettle and some pots for water before the stoppage. She then informed me that she would be arriving a day late as she could not find her cat. I was away on the night of her scheduled arrival which meant I wasn't able to fill anything for her beforehand. When she arrived the water was already off and she texted me to complain that she wanted a shower after a 7 hour drive, understandable of course but completely beyond our control. I suggested she could buy a few bottles from the campsite opposite which I would happily reimburse. She then texted me several more times to ask various questions, all of which were clearly answered for her in the single page welcome letter on the table.

She'd also arranged delivery of a dress to the cabin before she had left her home and asked that I leave a box outside my door for the delivery person which I did. I was then texted repeatedly asking if I could tell her what had happened to her parcel and complained that I had no letter box or a delivery box (we have delivery boxes outside front and back doors and a letter box). I then discovered she had arranged delivery to the cabin itself which is not a recognised address, had she asked me before arranging delivery I could have informed her of this, somehow it was all my fault. Another text to say that she couldn't find an iron yet there is a brand new one in a box on the chest of drawers in the bedroom.

Next text was received at 5.18am in the morning asking if someone had turned off the wifi, followed by another to say she had fixed it by restarting her device. She hadn't fixed anything, the wifi was working fine and she wouldn't have been able to access it to fix it. I explained that I don't respond to text messages at that hour of the day. No apologies from her.

This guest left both her dog and her cat at the cabin for several hours of each day, roaming free in the bedroom and the entire cabin. Bedroom window was left open for the cat to come and go. The day before she checked out the dog completely destroyed the bedroom blind and escaped through the window and ran around the neighbourhood inconveniencing my neighbours that had to catch him and find out where he was from before he could be returned. The dog walker who is also a friend of mine messaged me to tell me about it and sent me a photo of the destroyed blind. She had messaged the guest too and was asked if she could mend it with some tape. So the guest knew all about the damage but didn't think to call or message me to apologise or offer to pay. The dog was then left in the cabin for several hours before the guest returned from a trip to London. I checked on the dog myself periodically to make sure he was ok. I messaged the guest to say that I would require £200 deposit to cover replacement blinds, finally she replied and offered me a cheque which I refused to accept given the way she had treated me and my cabin thus far. Then she had several rants at me about not trusting a human being. In my experience a human being does not treat animals or other humans in the way that this guest does. I did hold the key as is my right to do so, had it have been earlier in the day I would have asked the guest to leave immediately.

I was confronted at my door by a very angry and rude guest shouting and screaming at me that she needed to check her animals despite not caring much for their welfare during the entire week. I refused to hand over the key until I received the requested deposit as I know full well had I not done so then this lady would have left in the morning without a care in the world.

I bought the blind and advised her of the cost £107 which does not include my time and inconvenience of dealing with it and installing it. I messaged her through this system to ask where I should deposit the balance. She replied suggesting I donate it to charity. I do not wish to do this, I wish to return the balance to her for her to do whatever she likes with.

This lady should accept she has faults, that the world doesn't revolve around her and that perhaps she should apologise once in a while and take responsibility for her own actions rather than blame everyone else.

I would not recommend this guest to anyone.
AndMarGeo
“Ideal place to have a short break!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

We hadn't been to the area before and just needed a place to stay for three nights.
We wanted a mid-way break as we were driving down from Yorkshire to Cornwall.
Malcolm's lodge was ideal.
Extremely clean and tidy.
Even a complementary bottle of ale from Malcolm's micro brewery.
Others have said it is small but having been a caravanned and motorhome owner for about 10 years we have stayed and holidayed in smaller "units" before.
The lodge has everything that you need.
Can certainly recommend the lodge and the area (& the beer!!)

Muzzlig
Frensham, United Kingdom
“Small yet perfectly formed!”
Reviewed 24 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

My partner and I stayed at Pear Tree Cabin with our dog, for a few days r&r, and we could not have asked for more! I was amazed by how well equipped it is in proportion to its size. It really does have everything you could want and more, the complimentary use of two lovely white fluffy robes were a nice touch!
The location is great, very close to lots of the South West's fantastic tourist attractions yet set in beautiful Wiltshire countryside right by the canal. There is a lovely pub opposite and two good sized towns within 5 miles.
Malcolm and his fiancée are lovely, very easy to communicate with and very helpful. They are there if you need them but also allow you your own privacy.
The only minor problem we encountered was the shower as it is small (although we knew this having spoken to Malcolm before we booked), and the doors on the unit don't close properly. However, Malcolm mentioned he is looking for a replacement unit while we were there, and it may already be done by now. It didn't detract from our stay in any way though. I highly recommend this place.
Many thanks for a wonderful stay, we hope to return soon!

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing