“wedding and weekend stay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Talbot Inn

The Talbot Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Ripley B&B and Inns
St Albans, United Kingdom
“wedding and weekend stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed here for a wedding recently. Can't fault the service in regards to the wedding. We were all very well looked after and spoiled , being attentive to all our needs. The Manager seems to be there 24 hours a day and served us breakfast as well as overseeing the wedding. However, there does seem to be a shortage of staff, especially in the restaurant. The night before the wedding we actually gave up waiting to be served and went elsewhere in the village. They lost a lot of money from us on this occasion, as were were a party of 16.
The rooms in the main house have lots of charm but beware of staying when it is raining.. The rain leaks through the roof in several places, creating soggy carpets and pools of water over the floors. The Ripley block lacks charm but a comfortable night stay with a power shower. Most of all it is away from the noise of the main building and wedding areas. It also does not leak rain!
Overall a good weekend, but that was mainly down to a brilliant wedding.

Room Tip: quiet but no charm, choose the Ripley barn
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Looks lovely from the outside and in the reception and courtyard areas. However once you make your way to your room it's all downhill. We stayed in the new block, the Ripley rooms, and as you walk into the lobby you are overwhelmed by the smell of mouldy carpet. The paint is peeling from the door and the lobby littered with leaves and mess. The room itself was a decent size but the bed can only be described as uncomfortably saggy and the pillows hard. The room was very warm but quiet at night (during the day you can hear the A3, but you hear that for miles). The bathroom was clean apart from the ingrained mould in the shower. For my £100 per night I expected more than one small shower gel, whole UHT milk and a teabag each.

On the plus side, breakfast was plentiful, although personally I don't like seeing chorizo mixed up with ham in one dish, and the service was a bit haphazard (we didn't bother ordering drinks refills but other guests were consistently having to get up and ask more tea and coffee).

Handy for the M25 and little other choice if you need to stay in Ripley, but I resent paying what they charge.

Room Tip: I gather the top end rooms are nicer but you risk being in the middle of a wedding disco if you come...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Chertsey, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

A friend and I decided to stay here as a room was cheaper than a taxi home for a friends wedding. Had no idea of previous reviews and hadn't looked into the rooms at all before booking thinking how bad can it be.

I could not find fault with any part of our wedding weekend experience.
The room was located in the new barn structure, which was warm and easily signposted from reception. The bed was honestly the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the shower was very powerful, didn't use the TV but the industrial fan came in handy on a muggy August evening. In the morning the full English was quickly prepared with the most delicious scrambled eggs I've ever eaten. Being fussy I would have preferred orange juice with bits in as I always find smooth tastes artificial but this is purely my taste and not a criticism.

The wedding reception we attended was well staffed, food exceptional with a well stocked bar. Again no criticism, but if the function room/barn bar had use of a card machine it would have stopped me having to walk up to the main bar the locals were using therefore waiting longer for service. Maybe something to consider in future.. Surely an extra card machine couldn't be too much to arrange for the evening.

Drinks were fairly reasonably priced, spirit and coke around £5, very nice bottle of rose £22, pint £3.80... Hardly whetherspoons prices but by no means extortionate.

In all I would be more than happy to recommend to a friend, and intend to book a room again for another friends wedding here in May

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Chertsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at the Talbot Inn, we had a lovely time . The food and service were superb. The room was very hot , and we could have done with a fan, however we have had extremely hot weather recently. Lovely little village to wander around , we walked to the river and enjoyed a picnic, so relaxing after a busy week. Can thoroughly recommend The Talbot Inn. Claire & Alan Hall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Claire H
East Molesey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

the food was ok, everything else was dreadful. We were there for lunch , the guests of my sister and husband. No-one to showed us to our table. There was no sherry or bitter available at the bar. We waited for 15 minutes for menus (at 1 o'clock they hadn't been printed). Order taken and then waitress returned to check our order. No bread with first course and when on request it arrived, it was buttered. We asked for 4 coffees and we were served 2 pots of tea. Coffee when it came was awful. There was no sign of the manager just 2 staff-untrained-doing their best. Avoid

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Ripley hotels

Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Lovely olde worlde inn, with great character and pretty garden and courtyard. However the management need to realise that it takes more than that to make a good hotel.
We were booked in for two nights but cancelled our second night due to the appalling service.
We had to ask for menus, ask to place our order, ask for dessert menus and nearly gave up waiting for the cheese board to arrive. We did wait patiently and understood that we weren't the only patrons but when we watched the head waitress playing with two children by the apple tree when we had been waiting a ridiculously long time to even get the dessert menu it did annoy us. Especially as our table was near the apple tree !!
In fairness although the service was dreadful the food was superb, just a shame the service lets it down.
Oh well breakfast will be better (haha). I chose a table on the terrace and was asked for my choice of tea or coffee. The waitress brought the coffee telling me she had spilt it in the saucer and would I like another saucer ! Er yes please !
After waiting 25 minutes I finally went and found the waitress and asked if there was a reason no one had taken my breakfast order? She had cleared a few tables and completely ignored me. There were only two other customers having breakfast. Again the eggs benedict was superb but the service unacceptable. The rooms in the ripley annexe are extremely hot and the windows can only be opened about a centimetre. It is such a shame that a lovely hotel is let down but such bad service and I certainly would not recommend this hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The first time i stayed here, i really liked the rustic style, cobbled entrance and ivy-covered exterior. The food was really great, and still is, and it feels very homely which is great when staying for business.

However, last week I recommended it to 4 colleagues, to then be very disappointed. The staff were slow and inefficient, struggling to find keys, having to walk down a corridor for the card machine to work and not even being able to print out an invoice. The reception area was cramped and tired looking, with visible clutter all over the reception desk, and only one receptionist during the peak checkout period at 8.00am.

The restaurant is lovely, with a glass wall leading out into the garden, however one evening we were told they could no longer serve us food when we tried to order at 8.45pm. There were also piles of unused event chairs stacked along one side of the restaurant, making it look messy and cluttered. For a hotel, this seems a ridiculous time to close the kitchen and stop serving guests.

For breakfast my room only included the standard continental, when i asked the meet-and-greeter if i could have the full menu option, he was confused and began trying to charge me a different room rate and upgrade me to deluxe - after much discussion, in the end i just went with the toast, loosing the hotel money and me going hungry.

I am writing this because i think there is so much potential with this hotel, with its natural character & beauty, garden, patio and smart dining area, lovely quiet destination and proximity to larger cities. However the rooms look tired, the beds are extremely soft, they provide no drinking water in the rooms, the soap is a bar of soap (potentially used by lots of previous guests), the staff seemed slow and easily confused, the reception is small, messy and too low-key and the kitchen should serve until later.

If some of the above points are dealt with, i would certainly recommend this hotel. However for the time being i do not recommend. Marco Pierre-White himself should come and stay a night and see what he thinks.

Room Tip: The more deluxe rooms are well priced and have much more character than the cheaper "stables&qu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!