“Worst guest house ever”

Ranked #3 of 3 Ripley B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Worst guest house ever”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had the misfortune of having to spend a week in this dump! Parking is far from ample and the wifi is non existent as us the housekeeping services. Same towel for 4 nights and it's hit or miss if your bin gets emptied! Food is crap. Bangers and mash was more like a bowl of soup. Would rather sleep on one of the benches out back than stop here again!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank evertonolly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed one night as part of a business trip.

On arrival the first thing that was apparent is that there's no dedicated private car park. I had to park behind the pub in the public park car-park. There's no parking restrictions here, however, and no tickets needed.

Entering the pub I had a very nice welcome and showed to my room. My room was a "standard twin" but the expected en-suite turned out to be a shower / toilet room down a flight of stairs. The bathroom was private to my room but the description is misleading (from memory - "the room has it's own separate bathroom"). Make sure you confirm your room is actually en-suite if that's what you want! This room did have a sink, although you had to press a button to operate an industrial sized pump to get the water flowing!

My room was right at the top of the pub with 3 single beds. I'm 6 foot and the bed struggled to keep my feet from dangling over the edge. The bedding was just a flimsy duvet with no additional sheets other than the cover sheet. I always feel uneasy about this as I can't imagine hotels washing and changing duvet covers after every guest visit.

That said, I didn't really need the duvet as the radiator was on full blast all night. I awoke at 2am so sweaty and uncomfortable that I had to turn the radiator off using the valve to cool down!

The room itself was nice and quiet at night despite the hotel being on the main road. That is until the morning when I was awoken by a mystery fan or motor running somewhere near my room that woke me up early.

There was free wifi in the pub, but the only place I could access it was downstairs in the actual bar.

Breakfast was mediocre / awfull. I was greeted by a stern lady who just said "Breeekfast foool?" (I took to mean Full Breakfast) to me. I said yes and requested coffee which arrived in a pot but with the granules of nescafe evident around the lid. Five minutes later was given a plate consisting of 2 fried eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 hideous "economy sausages", an ocean of baked beans and a spoonful of tinned tomatoes with some unidentifiable herb twigwidge stuck in it. I ate the bacon and eggs and left it at that.

I've stayed in worse but I don't feel this stay was worth anywhere near £70. This stay was a £30 room at best.

Best part of the night was my evening meal at the curry house just down the road.

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions carefully and confirm you have an actual en-suite bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DougBalloon

Travellers are raving about these Ripley hotels

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This place never fails to please.I stay here periodically my last stay was at the end of November, we attended a friends wedding near by . The room was clean warm and very comfortable.Breakfast was excellent!
They had a charity event and auction for Movember over that weekend and raised just under 5k, good for them !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

In short this review is centred around the quality of the accommodation not meeting the price. I also think we had an atypical room, as we know some of the other guests the night we were there were happy with their accommodation.

We stayed at the pub as we were going to a wedding locally. We were looking forward to arriving to a warm, friendly pub and grabbing a pint and some food before getting ready to go out. What we got, at 5.30pm, was a closed pub and a cold wait of 15 minutes in a dark doorway for someone to let us in.

Our room was in an outhouse round the back so it was quiet, but really tiny. No way a double - you could only get into the bed from one side, and you had to shuffle around, because there was hardly any space in the room that wasn't taken by the bed.

As well as the room being small, it was grubby - dusty and tired, particularly around the bed and in the shower. It needs a really good deep clean.

The bedding was clean but thin and lack lustre, the pillows had seen better days and the cases were worn from washing. It was, in short, like going back to student days, or staying in a cheap hostel, that wasn't actually cheap!

The Half Moon did kindly get me gluten free bread in for breakfast and the morning staff were friendly and breakfast was nice.

Essentially for £70 per night I would expect to be able to get into bed from both sides, have a decent pillow and duvet, a clean shower and sink and not be grossed out when I drop my phone charger by the bed.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is a real double, not a single with a double bed squeezed in!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We recently stayed here whilst attending a local wedding the rooms are modern and well presented though a little on the small size. A double bed would have given more room than the two singles. My biggest negative is that the mattresses are in desperate need of replacing as you can feel every spring in them. We eat in the bar and the food was good there is a well stock bar including a number of real ales. Despite having to cope with the orders for about 20 people at once the small kitchen coped very well. The pub does not have it's own car park but there is plenty of parking in the area behind the pub. However the lighting at the side and rear is not great and there are some very large puddles when it has rained.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iain Y
Billericay
Reviewed 6 March 2013

A good little place, friendly & quiet. I've only rated this place average as its not the Ritz! Worth the money and never a bad choice. It has some qwerky features, and would do a lot better if it wasn't in the random town if Ripley - hardly the centre of the universe (although easy access to the M25)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kyle C
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stopped in Ripley for a few nights with work. Having been braving the Guildford rush hour, I decided to try out the Half Moon as it's very close to where I was working and hardly any drive at all.

For starters, don't expect luxury. This is very much "rooms above a pub" territory and to that end you are getting what you pay for. I booked the double ensuite (can't be doing with sharing bathrooms). The bathroom is spacious and well appointed but sadly lacking in any complimentary toiletries (just as well I had that shampoo and shower gel with me). But then again, I couldn't knock the value - really a very good rate if you're on a budget.

The bed was big and comfy enough although it had one of those "crunchy" water resistant matress protectors which I don't really like. Otherwise decently furnished if a little dated.

The wifi was slow, especially when everyone else was on, so my hope of streaming Sky Sports on the laptop went out of the window. It also didn't extend to all parts of my room, meaning the laptop had to to be sat near the door to get a decent enough signal. I do understand it is difficult in rural areas to get good broadband for wifi, but a solid internet connection is a must.

Downstairs was a better experience. Breakfast is really good if full-English is your thing - large and substantial and not overly greasy. Plenty of orange juice and tea, and the friendly lady who cooks it will cook to order. The bar was really pleasant for relaxing - no rough types around and just a good solid English pub with a very decent selection of beers and spirits.

Because of the limited standard of accommodation I can't recommend this place for long business stays - two nights was definitely my limit and I couldn't envisage stopping much longer. That said, if you are in the area in need of a stopover this is definitely good for a rest and refuel, especially if you are on a budget. The pub itself is also well worth a visit for a drink if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Unless you want to share a bathroom, make sure you get one of the ensuites.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
Hilton Cobham
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Half Moon Inn? Share your experiences!