“quality”

Kingswell Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Harwell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have not stayed in the hotel, but have eaten in the restaurant on several occasions, with friends, with family, and as a couple. Each time has been excellent. Hot food served on warm plates. Lovely menu choices, at a reasonable price. We are a bit partial to an Eton Mess, each time we have been the chef has made one specially as it does not appear on the menu. Now that's what I call good service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed for two nights at The Kingswell Hotel with a group of close friends when we attended our son's wedding in a nearby venue. When I looked at the map I was worried by the proximity to the A34 and it is true that, sitting outside, the noise is a negative but, as soon as you move inside, the hotel is quiet, the rooms very comfortable and well-equipped and, above all, the staff are wonderfully welcoming. This is a family-run hotel and the owner clearly takes enormous pride in the very friendly way that guests are looked after. We felt that our presence was genuinely appreciated and that the staff cared about whether or not we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe R
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel two nights for business. the hotel staff were very friendly, the room clean and really good restaurant with an excellent wine list. For a moment of relax I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

From Christine Cowen Manchester.
The Kings well Hotel provides the highest standard of service. On arrival you are greeted by the most professional caring staff who go out of their way to help you and make sure you enjoy your stay. The food served in the Restaurant is exceptional, it is always well presented and delivered with a friendly smile. The Kingswell is one of my most favourite hotels ever, once you stay here you will just have to keep coming back.

Room Tip: Just ring the reception and ask the team they will help you choose the best room for you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stay in the south Oxford area on business regularly and was booked into the Kingswell by my client after several disappointing nights at the nearby Didcot Premier Inn in 2012. The Kingswell is only slightly more expensive than the PI but there's no comparison; I've insisted on staying at the Kingswell regularly ever since.

There are a few drawbacks with this hotel that I'll cover here but please read to the end because there's still so much to commend it. The hotel sits beside the cross-country A417 Reading Road in a 50mph zone that's largely ignored. In a cutting at right angles to the A417 is the busy A34 dual carriageway literally a stone's throw from the hotel building. Traffic noise is a serious problem. The A34 thunders throughout the night and in the summer one must either lie awake in a hot, airless room with the (double-glazed) windows closed, or lie awake listening to the roar of the lorries with the windows open. I never open the windows but I accept that nothing can be done about this; the hotel was here long before the A34 was built.

Secondly it seems that many of the bedrooms rely on an electric pump to provide water pressure. I'm guessing that the pumps are shared between adjacent rooms. If your neighbour flushes the toilet during the night the pump noise will wake you. I try never to flush the toilet during the night because of this.

Thirdly I was told by a waitress that there are two chefs who work in the kitchen, one good and one not so good. If you get the not so good chef the food is disappointing. I ordered new season asparagus that had been boiled until it was floppy and flavourless, topped with a good hollandaise and then with a mound of rocket leaves. All I could taste was peppery rocket. On another occasion I ordered venison which was served uniformly grey as if it had been cooked in a microwave.

For the above reasons I've removed one star from my rating. However, please do not let these points dissuade you from staying. This really is a lovely hotel and I think it's excellent value for money. All the staff are friendly, welcoming, and keen to help. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well furnished. The beds are very comfortable and properly made with crisp linen. The en-suite bathrooms are well-equipped and clean with pleasing dual-head power showers (as that pump whirrs in a nearby cupboard!).

Despite my comments about the chefs the restaurant is pleasant and the food is usually delicious. The waiting staff are all, I think, Romanian with varying levels of spoken English. They are well-trained and attentive so although I have witnessed a diner order a lager and be brought a white wine this misunderstanding was immediately put right. For a business traveller dining alone (and there are many of us) the staff are very helpful and the food service is pleasingly quick. Nearly all items on the menu are excellent although the basic menu changes little and a regular visitor must resort to the specials menu to avoid boredom.

The breakfasts are excellent with a pleasing cold buffet. Hot breakfasts are cooked very quickly to order, served by a friendly, attentive waitress. The filter coffee from a jug isn't great but if you ask the waitress she'll make you a fresh cup from her machine.

The hotel has numerous little touches that indicate attention to detail: the bread is always fresh and delicious; there are invariably vases of fresh flowers in the restaurant and bar; the plates, cutlery and napkins are of good quality; a steak is cooked exactly as ordered so a rare steak is properly rare, not medium-rare as in many restaurants; a drink in the bar is served with a little pot of olives and cashews; the wine list is interestingly diverse with some good wines at fair prices available by the glass; there's free wifi in all rooms; the bills are ready early in the morning to allow a swift checkout. These little things all matter and help to make a pleasant overnight stay for the business traveller.

Go on, give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Colin M
Sam B, Owner at Kingswell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the Kingswell.

At the Kingswell we pride ourselves on going the extra mile, guest satisfaction being our highest priority and I am glad you found our staff to be friendly, helpful and attentive. We firmly believe that our team contribute to our guest overall experience, therefore all guest comments are internally communicated.

In regards with the road noise it is indeed a nuissance and unfortunately we have or hands tight for this matter, however the people who maintain the roads said will work in the near future to improve traffic noise, hopefully. We tend to look at the positive side of being so close to a busy road as this brings to the hotel even more business.

Thank you for appreciating the “little touches” we strive to offer to our guests, which keeps us above the other hotels. We pride ourselves on the finer details we provide for our customers as we aim to create an experience that will be one to remember and leave you wanting to come back.

While the building may date back to around 1500, giving it character and charm, excellent value for money and first-rate service on offer ensure the Kingswell is very much up to date. We regularly maintain and upkeep all bedrooms to a high standard and always aim to exceed guests expectations.

Although, I am slightly troubled by your comments listed in the middle part of your review, we are always pleased to receive feedback from our guests, welcoming all comments from every aspect of their visit and your comments and recommendations have been duly noted and I thank you for these.

I sincerely hope these comments did not deflect from your overall time and experience whilst staying with us, and my apologies for your not too good food experiences which I can reassure you this is not something to happen no matter who is cooking. I am however pleased that overall you found the food to be delicious as the chef and his team work hard to ensure menus are kept seasonal and constantly strive to use locally sourced ingredients where possible.

We are happy that you would recommend us and looking forward to welcoming you back at the Kingswell in the near future.

With very best wishes,

Erica Chevis,
Owner and General Manager

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just had a 2 night break, spotlessly clean, courteous service and excellent food. The rooms have very very comfortable beds and beautiful white linen. Little extras like chocolates with your pots of tea, olives and nuts with a glass of wine just add to the service.

Room Tip: Previous reviews commented on road noise, we were on the road side of the hotel but it was not a pro...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gailc2511
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed for one night over August Bank Holiday and it was a night place with friendly staff, decent size rooms and a lovely cooked to order breakfast in the money.

It's not he Ritz but then your not paying Ritz prices - would recommend and would visit again. Our room was away from the road so no traffic worries and it really was great value for money. Great stopover to explore Oxfordshire.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mariarichards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwell
Milton Hill, Abingdon
2 mi away
Steventon House Hotel
Steventon House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Steventon

Been to Kingswell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!