“Very Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old State House

Old State House
Ranked #12 of 62 things to do in Hartford
More attraction details
Owner description: The Old State House is a registered National Landmark and open to the public year-round. The restored historic chambers, and grounds are now the site of events such as exhibits, curiosity museum, hands-on history, guided/self-guided tours and more! It is managed by the Connecticut General Assembly
Roseville, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Beautiful. Friendly tour guide gave us lots of historical information.

Visited October 2011

New York City, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Conveniently located Hartford history with something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

AAA discount was $3. They were proactive at the desk about asking me if I was military, a teacher, a student or AAA, which was nice. I knew walking in the door that I got a discount by showing my AAA card (be prepared to present it!), but I thought it was a refreshing change of pace for them to actually offer me a way to pay less than the full admission price.
The tour starts with a 5 minute video overview of Hartford history, during which you sit on comfy couches while watching the video on a giant flat panel tv recessed in an old fireplace.
Afterward, you can either take a self-guided audio tour or a guided tour (which I took). My tour guide was Hannah (who I thought was excellent and very knowledgeable).
If you have kids in tow, highlights (of the guided tour) will be the giant LEGO Old State Building (in the lobby) and the Museum of Oddities (3rd floor) with the two-headed calf. However, young kids might be bored with most of the guided tour. Stick with the kids areas on the lower level and try the “build Hartford” block area, where there are bins of location-coded colored blocks and a grid map on the floor for kids to build Hartford during certain historical periods. Neat concept.

Allow 30 mins for the video and guided tour. Allow 15 mins for the walk-through display area on the lower level. Add more time if you have kids who want to explore the kids area, or if you wander back through for more pictures.

Conveniently located a couple blocks from the Convention Center, the Science Center and several hotels.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank Kimberley R
Windsor
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2007

My husband and I recently visited the Old State House to see the opening of their new exhibit. "History is All Around Us". I can't believe how much things have changed since we've last been there. We took the audio tour and even saw a two-headed calf. I could have spent hours in the new exhibit. There's so much to learn about Hartford. I even picked up a beautiful necklace made by a Connecticut artist in the Museum Store. Great place to shop - could spend a day in there too!

2 Thank juju912

Been to Old State House? Share your experiences!