“Great hotel”

Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
Reviewed 13 June 2014

First, I have to say I have never seen a GM office right next to the check in desk and the door is always open. I had a small problem during my stay and it was resolved above and beyond my expectation.
Second, the hotel just went through a renovation, I am not sure if all rooms are the same but my room was excellent. It had this loft feel to it with 3 different levels, very cool! The gym is spacious with a lot of variety.
Third, you can't beat the location, its downtown next to a lot of restaurants and cool bars.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, away from the street noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
WHGGuestService, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

AA75:

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We understand that sometimes problems may arise during a stay, but it is our goal to resolve each situation as quickly and thoroughly as possible. I am glad that we were able to accomplish that for you. I am so glad that you liked the layout of your room. All of our hotel rooms are slightly different due to the historic features of our building, but many of our rooms are multi level loft style rooms that offer great space to relax and spread out! We look forward to having you stay with us should your travels bring you back to Hartford.

Lisa McIntyre
Director of Sales

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The service at the front desk is excellent! The representatives greeted me and made me feel welcomed, one employee in particular was Constance. She was extra jolly but it wasn't too much. I would definitely come back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I rarely write a bad review, but I travel a lot for business and this stay warranted mention. I am not a high-maintenance traveler. I understand they are undergoing renovations, however the facility was under par for the cost. First, there are several doors to negotiate manually from the street. Since no one greets you, I was left to handle several bags myself late at night. There are better ways to ensure guest safety than multiple sets of manually operated doors and no help. The room itself was a strange layout, which wouldn't have mattered that much if a) the wireless was working consistently and b) the towel bar didn't fall off when I put a towel on it and c) the sink drained. I agree with Charlotte1203 who noted that the hallways were dirty and rundown. There was quite a bit of noise from the street, translating to a not-so-restful sleep. I moved to the Marriott downtown after 1 night and was much happier. I will not be staying here again, even after renovations are complete.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mark G, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank You for taking the time to comment on your experience at my property. Regardless of a renovation or not, your stay should be seamless and be an enjoyable experience. I am extremely sorry that my property did not meet your expectations. Our renovation will be complete within the next few days, and I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Two times I've stayed. 6 months apart. Each with family, including support animal. Mark the GM has made sure we are well taken care of, that his staff knows we are coming and that we are valued Marriott customers. The staff is clearly very well trained and they do a good job selecting people to represent their brand. I will continue to stay here so long as the quality of service remains high.

Note renovations are occurring right now. But instead of fussing about the work in progress, we view the upgrades a part of what makes marriott a strong brand.

Large rooms, easy to navigate, connected to City Steam for ordering in which is cool. And I felt safe there for my family.

Single con: Disappointing $17 overnight parking fee. Would like to see that subsidized by Marriott for gold or platinum members. For hartford this seems unreasonable given it's $8 down the street across from Black Eyed Sally's (unless I just saw their day rate and their overnight is similar - if so, apologies).

1  Thank Brett R
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel was going through renovations but it seemed dirty in the lobby and disconnected. Felt more like a motel than a hotel. The halls and elevators needed to be vacuumed.
The entrances both front and back were rundown and the hotel underground parking lot very dank and dirty. Disappointed with the cost verses the value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
WHGGuestService, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

charlotte1203,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We value all comments and use it to continuously improve our service for future guests.

The hotel lobby renovation that is currently underway is being completed in 3 stages. We have done this to limit the impact to our guests, however this may be the cause of the disconnected feeling that you mentioned. We apologize for the concerns you had in the hallways and elevators and have taken steps to address that immediately.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again after our renovation is complete so that you can experience the completed hotel.

Regards,
Lisa McIntyre
Director of Sales

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a trial for work and it was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are huge and perfect for setting up a working "war room." The location of the hotel in downtown Hartford is ideal as you can walk to any stores, restaurants, etc. that you may need. The staff was so friendly and helpful and the hotel offered many amenities even a laundry room which was an added bonus. I would never stay anywhere else in Hartford now and beyond impressed with this hotel and staff.

2  Thank Carrie S
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel was being refurbished, and with a good reason. Getting through the doors are like taking a trip to the fifties. My room was very big, almost an apartment with a complete kitchen and the bed/restroom area elevated from the rest of the room. Strange but nice. The reception is a joke, but the service was fine and the complementary breakfast was alright. The dining room was also a joke though, I really hope it was only used temporarily because of the refurbishment.

Hartford city is nice and in walking distance.

The restaurant/brewery next door is absolutely worth a visit.

1  Thank Morten A
Mark G, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank You for your valued feedback. We are nearing the end of a full hotel renovation which includes all guestrooms and the lobby space of the property. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the location of the front desk reception and the breakfast space. Both were temporary while we renovate the existing front desk and breakfast areas. We are extremely excited about our hotel transformation and I hope you can return to see the outcome. We anticipate completion very shortly.