“Nice Marriott in Hartford”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Marriott in Hartford”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

As stated previously, this is a typical Marriott. Great central location to walk to most attractions. Breakfast was reasonably priced. Staff was pleasant and helpful. The gym was large with a great view. Same with the pool and hot tub, great view of the city and the trees! They also had a rather lively night club which we enjoyed on several nights during our stay. A bit overpriced, but overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
San Francisco
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Standard Marriott in a safe part of Hartford, with the typical Marriott furnishings. The concierge lounge at night has plenty of good desserts; breakfast has the standard hot and cold selections. Parking was a rip-off $19 a day run by a completely different outfit with a cumbersome in/out set-up.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Arrived late night to check in. The lady at the desk didn't seem very welcoming. Made me keys for two beds though I was traveling alone. After telling me "got you in a room with two beds" I asked for a king and she switched. Could have asked before..? Room was super clean so well done housekeeping but need to touch up some of the furniture which showing some scratches. Basic internet was no moving at all even to read news. I most likely stay again but will not pay over $300 a I did this time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2013

All of the staff were courteous and helpful, from the front desk to the bellman. The room service food was prompt and delicious. The room was clean although a little small for the price. The bed was comfortable but a little on the firm side, and the room was very quiet. The conference area was clean and nice, as well, and all of the staff who assisted with the event were very helpful. The meals at the event in the conference area were quality and great value. I would stay here again and would host a business event here, as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Doesn’t get much better than this for a domestic U.S. Marriott. Stayed here for 1 week in August for a gymnastics conference. Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. I was upgraded to the executive floor. For the first time, as far as I can remember, all of the info in my Marriott profile was actually looked at. I was given a high floor room away from the elevator, extra feather pillow and refrigerator waiting for me. Room was spotless, standard size and king bed was standard Marriott comfy.
Executive lounge had a great view of downtown Hartford and an excellent friendly staff filled with information and tips about Hartford. The breakfast offerings were a little sparse however. On weekends, I was given a breakfast voucher for the downstairs restaurant which obviously had much better offerings. The evening lounge presentations were typical Marriott standard, cheese, veggies, hot appetizer. The lounge staff was not stingy with the drinks at the honor bar, encouraging guests to have a “healthy pour.” The staff really made an attempt to interact with all the guests.
Internet worked fine and no problem using multiple devices. Everything in the room was well maintained, spotless and in working order.
Area surrounding the hotel had everything one could want and close walking distance to Xcel arena. Restaurants, microbrewery, pubs, drugstore etc. all within a few blocks.
Extremely accommodating and friendly staff, great location, nice rooms…would definitely not give a second thought to staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

First time overnight in Hartford. This hotel is near all the great restaurants and most importantly Bushnell park and the city center. Its less than a mile from the park and extremely easy on / off the highway via roads which were not closed. Perfect location.

The staff here was very accommodating.. due to the race I wanted a late checkout and it was no issue. They were great explaining directions and helpful when my wife came to meet up with the kids.

• Stayed October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for the ING Hartford Marathon. I had visited this hotel once before while in the city for a wedding and was looking forward to staying here - the lobby area is quite impressive and gives the sense of a grand flagship Marriott. However this is where the tie to typical Marriott excelence ends.

For starters, this is the first time I tried using Marriott's mobile check-in application for the iPhone. It was pointless and a waste of good mobile data. When I arrived I was still required to stand in the same check-in line as I would have done otherwise in order to receive my keys. Granted, there was an iPad to the left of the check-in desk that seemed to indicate "something" but when I approached it I was quickly told to "get in line". I can't say if the pointlessness of the app is the fault of the hotel or of the brand, but I'm not going to try using it again anytime soon.

While standing in line, I clearly heard each guest infront of me be given a 2pm checkout - excellent since the race wouldn't be ending until after 11am and having a warm base to return to to shower and store baggage is part of the reason we chose to stay in a hotel to begin with.

When I finally came to the front of the line I was asked for my CC and license and when they were returned I was shocked with the silence - I wasn't given the customary "thank you for being a gold member". I am perfectly aware of how arrogant that sounds, but I have stayed in dozens of Marriott properties and each time been given that acknowledgement. In the past I never really paid attention to it, but after not hearing it on this stay, I have come to realize how personal it makes the initial interaction with the hotel staff.

When asked for a late checkout, we were only given until noon - two hours sooner than everyone else before (and as we would find out, after). No reason was given, it was noon and that was it.

(Note: the next day when it became obvious that 12pm would simply not work, we pressed the issue and were given the same check out as the rest of the race participants).

The room wasn't great - it wasn't awful, but I have had better room for far less money at other Marriott properties. The bed was old and disfigured. The AC did not work. There was a slight mildew smell. If the lobby hadn't been so well trimmed, I think the room's shortcomings would have gone unnoticed; but it's obvious that ownership wanted to give people passing through on their way to convention center events a false impression of the quality of hotel.

Next time I'm in Hartford I will bypass this Marriott and go back to the Residence Inn. Its an older hotel but better maintained and offers more Marriott Rewards members, even if that's just a welcoming feeling.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank josephcouture
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Joseph, first, I would like to thank you for being a continuous Marriott guest and a Marriott gold member. Furthermore, Thank you for sharing your review with us, we value all the feedback we receive from our guests as it helps us to constantly improve. I am very sorry to hear about the complications during your stay, namely, the confusion over the late checkout. I want to assure you that the experience you describe in your review does not meet the standards to which we hold our property. We hope to see you again next year to show you a proper experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#5 of 11 in Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Best Western Hartford Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!