“Wonderful visit, great experience”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Wonderful visit, great experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family stayed at the hotel over the fourth of July weekend and we were very impressed! The hotel is beautiful and very clean. We were in a suite which was perfect for our family of four. The room we stayed in was perfect and the bed was very comfortable. The room was spotless and, having two bathrooms was so convenient. The staff was kind and helpful- Ron, in particular, made us feel special and taken care of. The breakfast at Vivo was fantastic. There is a Starbucks located right in the hotel lobby which is so convenient. The wedding we attended there was so beautiful and elegant. The hotel staff were attentive and kind and were very patient with my kids. I definitely recommend this hotel. It is in a great location in Hartford in walking distance to great restaurants (Capitol Grille, the move theater that serves meals,) the convention center and the fantastic Connecticut science center.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Exactly one month ago I hosted my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in the Marriott Ballroom and spent the weekend there along with my out of town guests. First, Stephanie Simmons and the rest of the banquet staff was there for me every step of the way in the year plus planning process right up until the day of the event. The attention to detail was amazing and the white glove service was right on. I can not tell you how many of my guests gave rave reviews on the quality of the food and the service. I would highly recommend using the Marriott Ballroom for any special event.

The hotel rooms were clean and adequate. The staff, again, was what made my stay special. Everyone I came in contact with went that extra step to see that I was comfortable. I must give special note to Blake and his staff at Prossage (the spa on the 22nd floor) who are very professional and GREAT masseuses! Also, when I checked out with my kids and oh so many gifts etc. the bell hop made several trips to get my truck loaded and always had a smile as he was there to help me.

It truly is the little things that count and going that extra step in service seems to be what this Marriott is about!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jackie B
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The quality of this hotel took a severe turn for the worst over the last four years that I have been staying here and this year took the cake. We booked our stay almost a year in advance for the Connecticon Convention that is hosted here every July.
We went to check in Wednesday night and were told we had to pay 'incidental fees' in order to get into our room. We were NEVER informed, either during our original booking or in future months leading to the event, about these so called fees. Not one person behind the desk was able to tell us what an incidental fee was, they just kept repeating we had to pay it. We called corporate offices, they couldn't tell us what an incidental fee was either, only that it was 'this hotel's policy'. We've never been asked to pay an incidental fee prior to this year.
It is our best guess that an incidental fee is nothing more then the Marriott forcing con goers to pay for 'possible' damage to the room ahead of time simply for the fact that they're attending that event. Which is quite discriminatory.
We had to sit in the lobby for four hours. Only one valet parker asked me if he could get me water or something to eat in those four hours. At 32 weeks pregnant, I'm appalled that all the other employees chose to pretend my husband and I didn't exist. It was about 10pm by the time we were finally allowed into our room and I was so stressed out by the whole ordeal that my breasts had over produced colostrum to the point where I smelt like soured milk when I went to take a shower.
The following morning we had to call up housekeeping/engineering to inform them of a massive rip in the curtain and that an electrical outlet was not functioning, as we didn't want to be charged for damages that were there for who knows how long. That evening we went to the Vivo for dinner. It took over 10mins for someone to take our orders. After my husband's water glass emptied, I had to go behind the bar in order to refill it because the bartender had vanished and only appeared asking if I needed any help after I filled the glass.
Friday morning we opened our hotel door to find shattered glass covering the entire front of the doorway. Someone had smashed a bottle in the stairwell and the debris went under the stair door in front of ours. Glass from that bottle was still in the stairwell when we checked out this Sunday.
Saturday evening, my husband was unable to get a simple glass of water from the Vivo bartender as she preferred to sit at the other end of the bar and chat. I had to call about the toilet suddenly backing up and waited over 45mins for someone to take care of that. The second time I called, they finally bothered to send someone up.
That night I also had to call security for the first time on an overly rowdy room, who chose to fight with hotel security. Why were these people not removed from the hotel? It was nothing short of a miracle that there were no further issues with that room afterwards.
And finally, as we tried to leave the parking garage this morning, the hotel tried to over charge us, even though there was a special parking rate installed for the convention attendees.

Never, in all the years that we've been staying here, have we had to deal with such lackluster service. Clearly the Marriott no longer cares about customer service and I think next year we may opt to stay at another venue.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha R
WHGGuestService, Director of Operations at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Samantha,

I am happy I had the opportunity to speak with you this afternoon regarding your stay with us. We certainly value the feedback from our guests and appreciate the opportunity to walk through the concerns related to your stay with us.

As I explained during our conversation, our security deposits, or incidental holds, are a standard in the hotel industry and have been established at our property since opening. These funds are only a temporary hold which allows our guests to use any of our services, such as in room dining, charges from our outlets and movie rentals without having to provide anything more than a room number and signature. These funds also provide coverage should anything accidentally be damaged in the room during a stay.

In regard to parking, I am glad we were able to clear up the confusion on the charges. Our garage is owned by the state and run by a third party management company. We provide our guests with a discounted rate off their established rates.

We are very committed to the satisfaction all of our guests and do hope that you will join us again soon. Please feel free to reach out to me personally with the contact information I provided should you have any more questions.

Best Regards,
Ron Wichowski
Director of Operations
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My son got married last weekend in the Hartford area.and we arranged to have a block of rooms reserved for the occasion at the Hartford Marriott Downtown. Three staff members were involved in booking, coordinating and assisting to make sure that my guests and I were treated to an enjoyable experience. The rooms were spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The buffet the next morning at the restaurant was delicious and the omelet and waffles were cooked to order.The hospitality suite was great because it allowed us to freshen up between the wedding and the reception and then relax afterwards. I have to thank Danielle, Alexa and Melissa for providing the personal touch that made a special event even more special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pat o
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've been staying at the Marriott Downtown Hartford for business for the past 8 months and I have to say that the staff has been absolutely amazing. There are multiple hotels in the area but I always come back to the Marriott because of the staff. Rich, the bellman, is fantastic - he is super attentive and such a nice guy. He's welcoming every time I arrive and goes out of his way to help me. Carlos and Andre, who work in valet, are also extremely attentive and always welcome me with a smile. Erin, from the concierge lounge, is absolutely wonderful! She has a great memory for guests and is a great person to talk to. Joey from the front desk always makes sure my room is perfect and helps me check in early, if possible.

It's hard being away from home for 4-5 days/week and the staff here does a great job welcoming me when I return. They go above and beyond to take care of their guests and really are wonderful people to be around. I would rate the staff a 5/5...the hotel on the other hand is somewhat old school. The rooms need better lighting and the furniture should be upgraded. 3/5 for the hotel appearance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jess L
Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel after a wedding in the area. Found the hotel staff friendly. The hotel itself is average. Parking is a bit expensive in the adjoining garage. There are not a lot of choices in the area so if you have any events in the Hartford area you would probably end up at the Marriott and it more then suffices.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was in Hartford for a conference and only stayed one night. The room was fine, but nothing to rave about. Staff was friendly. Furniture in lobby and Starbucks area was dirty and a bit run down though they had a staff member walking around regularly to pick up garbage people left on tables. If you are attending a conference at the convention center I would recommend staying at this hotel simply for the fact that it is adjacent to the center.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Jaclyn1106,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback on our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we can better improve our services and facility.

I’m happy to report that we will be renovating both our Lobby and our Starbucks this year. The entire area will be getting a remodel in order to provide a fresh look with more seating and a more comfortable atmosphere. In addition, the beginning of next year will begin the renovation of our guest rooms as well.

Again, thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand and we hope to see you again real soon.

Best Regards,

Ron Wichowski
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
The Goodwin
The Goodwin
#6 of 12 in Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!