“Not good and shows that you cannot rely on trip advisor”
Review of Tor Spa Retreat

Tor Spa Retreat
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Ickham
London
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not good and shows that you cannot rely on trip advisor”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Hugely overpriced for what it is, there were 2 of us and for almost £100 each for entry and one treatment it should have been so much better.

Firstly it is like being in someone's big old house and has an awkward atmosphere.

The 'spa' is very limited, consists of a sauna and really unpleasant smelling steam room. The pool was not clean had mould in the filter area at the far end, there were also some crusty and dirty degraded floats for people to use.

The operators may try to argue these points but it's absolutely true, they really need to do something about the general cleanliness of the place.

A very bland vegetarian lunch was included in the price, but I was put off it before it arrived when I heard very clearly the 'ping' of the microwave just before it was served.

Treatment was very average but nothing could have made up for the overall impression of the place.

Also they are keen to emphasise there is a £2 charge if you happen to get your towel wet or misplace yours and need to use another one!

There is no competition in the Canterbury area maybe this is why they think they can charge so much for so little.

This may seem like a very harsh review but I have no hidden agenda or vendetta I'm just telling it like it is

10 Thank Hughpeteagle
TORSpa, General Manager at Tor Spa Retreat, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Obviously we are always very disappointed if people haven’t enjoyed their time at TOR. But I do feel your feedback is more than harsh.

We believe we are excellent value for money. Comparable to two established spas near to us. The equivalent package you had is £105 and £99. With your spa package you received 7 hours use of the spa facilities, unlimited refreshments, a two course meal and a one hour treatment. It was our Special Offer. For an extra £36 you could have got a further 2 treatments.

We are sorry you didn’t like the eucalyptus smell in the steam room. We have found it is very popular. The facilities are again comparable with most spas. I disagree that the pool was not clean. We only recently had a new liner installed. As for the skimmer, its job is to collect up debris and floating body fat. So I doubt very much that it was spotless, but I can assure you it is regularly cleaned.

The floats and water aids you saw are NOT for spa guests. They are for our swim members and are owned by the resident hydrotherapist. They are used to help people after operations, injuries and other health reasons. They are left in an easily accessible position as there are elderly and disabled members that need to gain access to them. I’m sorry you didn’t like the look of them, but they still perform their important task accordingly.

We do not and never have used a microwave in producing meals at the spa. I am happy to give you a copy of our Food & Hygiene report from Canterbury City Council, which will prove this. We have a five star rating with them and are very proud of the food that we produce at the spa. The therapists do have a small microwave to warm up products before use in treatments, so you may have heard that.

We actually only charge £1 for a towel. It is £2 for a robe. This system had to come into place as people were using 3 to 4 towels a day per person. I do not see any issue in charging for an extra towel. We do not charge for hiring the towels or robes, nor do we charge for lockers as is the case with other spas. Customers are welcome to bring their own towels if they feel they need more.

I personally feel you do have a hidden agenda as nothing pleased you on the day. It always upsets all of the TOR family when someone goes out of their way to write such a horrid response to a business that does all it can to bring happiness and pleasantness to people. It is also very unrefined when someone chooses the callous use of Trip Advisor under an anonymous name. Therefore rendering it totally unhelpful as criticism. It is neither helpful to us as we were not able to make your day better at the time, nor helpful to anyone reading this as it just looks like someone who is having a rant because they actually believe they are being constructive.

To conclude. I agree with you on one thing. You cannot rely on Trip Advisor.

Dorking, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“unique and relaxing...”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had an amazing day at the spa yesterday. The staff were so helpful and friendly without being intrusive. We spent the whole day there (9:30-4:30) but the time passed so quickly! Would highly recommend the Alepam Fresh Fruit Facial, it was so refreshing and relaxing. The pool, being 95°F, was the perfect place to spend time in between the steam rooms and saunas. Had the Dahl for lunch which was delicious! The grounds there are stunning and so remote that you can wander around in your dressing gown, which was lovely in the sun. We shall definitely be going back soon!

Visited May 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lovely....”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Informal relaxed atmosphere.
Not like some of the 'Hotel Spa's' I've been to and felt slightly intimidated in.
Lunch was fantastic and the treatments I had made me more relaxed than I have felt in year's.
I will definitely go back.

1 Thank EJH000
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Relaxing at it's best”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Had a fabulous Spa Day here yesterday. The welcome was good and all the massage/treatment staff were excellent.

The Spa's grounds are beautiful, even though they weren't at their very best due to the heavy rain that we have experienced lately.

Had the use of the pool, lounges, sauna and steam rooms followed by an Udwathanam massage which was wonderful, and a facial.

I found the prices to be along par with other spas.

I would definitely go again.

Visited March 2014
Deal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Peacefulness and pampering in one place”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have been to the Tor Retreat several times, so was very surprised to see the ONE negative comment.
I was surprised by what I read as this certainly has never been the case on one of my visits. I think the mere fact that this establishment only has one negative comment says it all really.

Highly recommended to unwind and get away from it all! I shall be visiting again very soon

Visited February 2013