“Please read my review to understand my rating.”

The Copper Beech Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Ivoryton B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Please read my review to understand my rating.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have rather mixed feelings about my stay here because my expectations were fairly high (the website makes the place look so good) and there were some good aspects to our visit, but the experience had some definite bumps in the road.

Perhaps it’s easier to start with what is good about the place:

(1) It’s only about a 10-minute drive from Essex Village and a 5-minute drive from the Essex Clipper Dinner Train, so if you’re in the area for these attractions, the Inn is very conveniently located.

(2) The Inn has a definite charm to its architecture, and the front room where the check-in desk is located is adorned with rich, wood paneling and decorated with paintings and antique furniture.

(3) The grounds are well maintained and include an area with a small, decorative pool and a garden.

(4) Breakfast, which was quite good, was included with the cost of our stay. The restaurant is right on site, and it offers outdoor seating for when the weather is pleasant.

(5) The rooms are large and they are tastefully decorated.

(6) The toiletry items and towels supplied by the Inn were top quality.

Then there were the not-so-good elements:

(1) I had booked a specific room (via Expedia.com) based on the Inn’s own website pictures of how each room is decorated. The room we were first put in (Room 212 in the Carriage House) looks nothing at all like the picture on their website. The room we ended up in, Room 215 in the Carriage House, does look like the website picture.

(2) When booking the Inn, I specifically chose Room 211 because of the décor. We were put into the adjacent room without an explanation. When I asked the “Innkeeper” about the change, he was unable to offer a satisfactory answer. I found it odd that a management level person would be in the dark about such things.

(3) I awoke at 2:00am because the room was too warm. It turned out that the air conditioner was not working properly. I phoned the front desk, and the Innkeeper said he would be right over. He arrived ten minutes later and examined the unit. He left and said he would be back. Upon his return, he offered us the option of moving three rooms down to Room 215, since there would be no way to fix the A/C at that time. We agreed, and a working A/C made a big difference. Room 215 was an upgrade compared to Room 212, but I cannot say whether this was a conscious choice by the Innkeeper to make up for the inconvenience or whether it simply was an available room that happened to solve our problem the easiest and quickest way.

(4) The next morning I discovered that the TV in Room 215 was only receiving three channels. It appeared to be wired correctly, and I even tried running the TV’s setup program to load more channels, but to no avail.

(5) While the Innkeeper had apologized repeatedly about the non-functioning A/C, it was quite a nuisance to have to move to another room, with all our stuff, at 2:00am. When we checked out, I placed *two* room keys on the front desk, and the hostess looked surprised. I had to explain what happened. Why didn’t the Innkeeper inform her? I was again offered an apology, but that was all. It seemed that the two staff members I interacted with were not solicitous about having me return to their Inn. While I was not expecting the world, it was a reasonable expectation to be offered *something* for my troubles. Breakfast was already included in my cost, and the Innkeeper never said to me to the effect of, “I’m upgrading you to another room to compensate for your troubles,” so I still don’t know if Room 215 formally represented a comp or an easy fix.

Considering the cost of the room and the presumed reputation of the Inn, I cannot help but feel disappointed with our experience. As the saying goes, “You only get one chance to make a good first impression.” It is unlikely that we will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ScenicTrek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Greenwich, CT, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I were there in June 2014 for our wedding anniversary weekend and to attend the Hot Steamed Jazz Festival in nearby Essex (25 minute walk from the Inn). We were welcomed graciously by the hosts upon our arrival and had two excellent dinners and breakfasts. The place is well cared for and running smoothly under the new ownership. Our room was in a quiet annex at the back. The king sized bed with big fluffy down pillows was quite nice and the bathroom spacious. My only negative comment is that our room was very dark. The windows were small and the woods so close that very little ambient light got in, so it could have used some more lamps to brighten it up. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked four nights at the Inn for a quiet getaway from the bustling city on our anniversary, and were very pleased. Named after the spectacular old copper beech tree in the front yard, the three houses and property is well-maintained. The Main House is the original inn with restaurant (more on that later), then behind that there's the Carriage House (built in the '70s) and Comstock House (built in 2008). We stayed in the Comstock but also saw some of the rooms at the Carriage House, where it appeared all bathrooms had been renovated nicely. The rooms at Comstock are larger and obviously newer. We had a Jacuzzi tub which was a great bonus. It was very peaceful. Breakfast is included with the rooms, and you eat at the Main House either indoors or out. I had the lemon pancakes, the Belgian waffles, the omelette of the day and the "standard breakfast" of eggs, bacon and toast, while my wife enjoy the yogurt, granola and fruit - everything was delicious! And we had dinner there twice in the beautiful Main Dining Room. The filet mignon was cooked to perfection, the Ivoryton Burger was beautifully stacked and prepared, and the organic breast of chicken was moist and delicious. On top of everything else, Innkeeper Peter Pajor, Colleen and the rest of the staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. We will definitely return to the Inn and Essex/Ivoryton!

Room Tip: The Comstock house has the best overall amenities, like Jacuzzis and some have terraces. Corner room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank German B
Plainville
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed overnight for our anniversary, and I can't say enough about both the Inn and
restaurant. We stayed in the carriage House, and loved our room. You feel as if you are on vacation at a far away place, so peaceful and beautiful. The staff was so accomadating and knowledgable about the sights to visit. We are planning on going back this fall for a 2 night stay this time. One night is now enough!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Everything about the place screams "New England Charm". The inn and restaurant are lovely. The bar had a wecoming fireplace and all of the dining rooms had a cozy feeling, but spacious No tables Too Close, like in NYC The menu was appetizing to read, and each dish was eye appealing and delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly. We felt welcomed the minute we stepped inside the inn Our room (we were lucky to get the winter special on Easter weekend) was very inviting and comfortable. Bathrooms had it all for the modern traveler.

Room Tip: We loved Room 5 in the main house
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My boyfriend,beagle and I had a wonderful time at the copper beach in for New Year's Eve. We arrived to a warm welcome and stayed in the carriage house. It was a wonderful 2 night getaway with delicious food at the resturant. My only suggestion is a dog friendly room in the main house.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We took advantage of The Copper Beech Inn's winter special (1 night, $100 dining credit and breakfast for two for under $300) for a short getaway. We had such a wonderful time! The room was lovely! I can't say enough wonderful things about the bathroom - heated floor, whirlpool tub, bath robes, rain shower! Wow! The bed was super-comfy and there were tons of pillows to get cozy.

Our dinner that evening was incredible and the cocktails were even better! So glad we only had to walk back to our room after ;). The breakfast was also lovely - the bacon was so flavorful ... sweet, salty and spicy all at the same time!

I would have given this 5 stars, except for two small things. 1. The couple in the room next to us kept their TV on all the time and we could hear it through the walls, which was just a slight annoyance. They also took advantage of the room's snow-covered balcony to smoke - which drifted into our room. Ick! 2. In the morning we had a very hard time getting enough hot water. I assume it was just because everyone else was trying to shower at the same time, as we didn't have any problems with filling the bathtub the night before. But, overall, we had an amazing time and will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bella531
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivoryton
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook
Bee and Thistle Inn and Lounge

Been to The Copper Beech Inn? Share your experiences!