“Horrible customer service and not clean”
Review of Club Getaway

Club Getaway
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kent
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Club Getaway is happy to sign you up for the weekend and take your money but in terms of getting the details right, they're not that swift. They messed up on how much to charge our credit cards and took several weeks to fix their mistake. They also did not put my friends in my room and we had to wait a while when we arrived at CG for them to finally put us all together.

Worse yet, the rooms were not sanitary and the toilet wasn't working. The activities were fun but all and all, I would not recommend anyone go there since the negatives outweighed the positives.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
20  Thank BeachTravel10273
There are newer reviews for Club Getaway

Reviewed 1 September 2011

So I did stay at Club Getaway, and I did write a short, sweet review, saying that the camp is not quite the minimum cleanliness that I (and most) expect, for a $600 long weekend. I really wish that I had kept the photos of the filthy black mold in the shower or the cobweb/bug filled room... but i didn't. Here's the funny part. I posted my review, and a short time later, Sean from Club Getaway called me. He offered me a partial refund to basically take down the review. He asked me to write an email of all my complaints. I took the time to do so, listing the dirty rooms, lack of air conditioning on a hot weekend, and no water on Monday, causing toilet back up and no showers, and sent it !! I NEVER heard from him again. Thanks, guy. So, here is the deal. If you want a boozy weekend and don't care about the very rustic, not so clean quarters, go for it. If not, stay away.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
22  Thank kbsing
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We were there for family week : Aug 21-27th. My kids are 12 and loved it. They really bonded with the other kids and the counselors were fantastic. The food was so much more than we ever expected. For lunch, there would be a six foot hogies, a carving station (one day turkey, one day steak, one day ribs etc), tons of fruits, pizza, grilled cheese, salads, chicken fingers, french fries, egg salad, tuna, and three bean salads. The desert table had an overload of choices. Dinner was family style and you sit with another family. If your kids chose to eat with their group, you will be seated with adults only. The activties weren't hard to sign up for. You could also show up and take the spot of someone who didn't show...but, there really wasn't an issue doing what we wanted. Kids were waterskiing and trapezing during adult time after the adults had their fill. All of the staff were incredible. Although, we learned they are paid $100 for like the first 4-6 weeks and then $200 a week after. They work long hours and six days a week. Even so, they were really great with all the kids no matter what the age group. I never saw an unhappy counselor or kid the entire week. When it rained for a half of day, they immediately put out an alternate schedule. Most of the camp kids boarded a bus and went bowling. Those who stayed, did really cute arts & crafts and played board games. The cabins are VERY rustic. Our phones (iPhone and Blackberry) worked without fail. I heard if you have TMobile, you won't have service. Yes, there are no TVs..but, I'm not sure why this would be an issue. If you need to watch TV, you can go to the lodge where people set up their laptops etc. There are no alarm clocks. If you need one, bring one. I saw people who brought in their own bedding. The shower towels are replaced every day. Bring your own beach towels, shampoo, soap etc. The doors do not lock, but you can chain lock them from the inside while you're in the room. You do have to buy drink tickets. They are sold in packets of 20 for $20. Wine is free flowing with dinner. You can do as much or as little as you like with a full activity schedule starting at 10am and ending at 11pm. I really couldn't find fault with the entire week. Truly a top notch staff. We would love to go back!

2  Thank NickelFish
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have to say this was one of the best 4th of July vacation I've ever had. The food is top quality, the parties, bon fires are all great. The staff members are hot! most of them are from England or Ireland. I left this getaway doing so many activities that I've never done in my life. You will be so busy having fun that you hardly see your bed, there is ALWAYS something to do and a bonus...I made so many new friends and my roommates were awesome! I miss everyone. I think i have finally found a great place to get away and have fun. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Classified_Info
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Club Getaway was an awesome little trip at a great price. We were a little skeptical the first night, but it wound up being a really good time.
When you first arrive they have you park in a lot at the entrance and a miniature little school bus (choo bus) picks you up and transports you to the main tent. The bus is crowed and small, so pack light! (you can’t bring your car up to the cabin) At the main tent lots of yummy appetizers and drinks are served while you check in. After check in, you are given a little wheel barrel type cart to transport your luggage to your cabin. The cabins are cute. They are air conditioned and have private bathrooms. We brought our own sheets and towels and I recommend doing that. The shower isn’t great, but it is definitely better than normal campsite showers. We didn’t really have a bug situation in our cabin at all. I’m not really sure what the other posts were talking about with the bug thing. Outside of course, there are as many bugs as there would be in any outdoor experience. There are lots of gnats in the central field by the lake, but bug spray takes care of that easily.
After checking in to your cabin, dinner is served at 9:00. The first night, dinner was pretty strange and this is what had us a little skeptical. It was raining that night and we ate in the roadhouse dining room. It was packed incredibly tight to the extent that it was pretty uncomfortable. You sit at round tables with groups of people you don’t know, but everyone is pretty friendly. The food was okay. Wasn’t bad, wasn’t great. My husband and I were also having a strange experience because the only weekend we could go was a singles themed weekend and we were outcasts in that regard. Most people there seemed to have come by themselves and every time they found out we were married, they would act appalled. (all in good fun though) After dinner there was a party down at the boat house. We played druckin volleyball for a while, but the party ended early so we spent the night hanging out on our porch, which attracted a lot of curious single visitors.
We made somewhat of a mistake staying up too late the first night because we woke up at 10:30 and missed breakfast and the activities sign ups. Most of the activities like the zip line and trapeze require advanced sign up, which occurs at 8:30 in the morning. So we missed out on that and the breakfast, but they did leave out coffee and baked goods for the late risers. After breakfast, we did the activities that don't require sign-up like archery, Spider Mountain, kayak, and swimming in the lake. Lunch on the second day was really good. They had a really good buffet in the main tent and served everything under the sun. Then we did some flips on the Euro Bungee and that is when the trip really started to get fun! At 5pm we wandered over to the boat house, where they were having BBQ, karaoke, and drinks. There we joined in one of the most fun games of flip cup I have ever played. It was $5 a person and we played for a long time. The counselors running the game were awesome and made up really funny rules for the losing side. We became fast friends with everyone playing and it really was a blast. Afterwards we had dinner in the main tent. This dinner was much better than the first in both the quality of food served and the comfortability of the seating. After dinner a DJ came out and everyone danced on the tables. A party at the boathouse followed and it was incredible. There was someone eating fire at the entrance, the music was great and at one point an acrobat was performing above the dance floor. Later a large bonfire was lit out by the lake and everyone was given s’more supplies.
The next morning we got up early. Breakfast was awesome. They had really good food stations serving things like fresh made waffles with homemade whip-cream and fresh fruit. On this day we got to do some of the better activities. We went waterskiing, did some more archery and the triple rock wall zip-line challenge. We almost went on the trapeze, but it started raining and they had to shut it down. As the rain came the party at the boathouse started up again, which was followed by a lunch in the cramped Roadhouse dining hall. This time the food was kind of bad, but they had a mariachi band playing, which made the experience amusing. After lunch, we packed up and bid farewell to Club Getaway.
If you enjoy camping, outdoor adventure activities and a party atmosphere, this is definitely the place for you. It is a really good time for a really good price! All of the counselors are incredibly nice and very fun. Everything is included, except for drinks at night (wine is free with dinner), so I do recommend that you bring some cash. They sell drink books that are $20 per book and are only purchased with cash. You get 20 drink tickets per book. Beers are 4 drink tickets and mixed drinks are 6.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with 2 or 3 people, you can pay a few extra dollars to get a private cabin
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank speri337
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Went there alone and did not know what to expect. I was amazed at the amount of great activities available ( all free). I felt like it was a three day party and when it was over I had made new friends who I plan to stay in touch with. Can't wait to go again. I booked my next trip for this labor day.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Ajb555
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My friends and I decided to take some time away for the weekend and we picked Club Getaway in Kent. It was exactly what we were looking for. A cabin by the lake, sports and games on the lakefront, and food prepared for us. Plenty of chances to kick back and relax, and met some great new friends when we were up there.

If you ride a bicycle into the small town of Kent there a good amount of stores and restaurants to check out.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Homestead Inn
#2 of 3 in New Milford
The Cornwall Inn
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall

Been to Club Getaway? Share your experiences!