“Traditional Hospitality with Progressive Service”
Review of Wake Robin Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakeville
Wake Robin Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Lakeville B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Traditional Hospitality with Progressive Service”
Reviewed 10 November 2005

The Wake Robin Inn is an amazing find among the hundreds of other Bed and breakfast/Guesthouse styled accommodation in the New England district! I was looking for a special place to spoil a touring school trip from Australia of which I was in charge and I happened upon the Wake Robin Inn website. The replied immediately with all the extra information that I requested. They facilitated payment in a easy manner. They kept in contact until the very week of our arrival at this incredible property. The building speaks for itself, "classic old world charm" in a delightful setting. The property has been woderfully renovated but has retained the mystery and allure of yester-year! However, and most importantly, I felt that we were booking into a family home. The receptionnist did everything to ease our arrival, even going out of her way to find us a local restaurant to accommodate 7 at 8pm on a week night - no easy task! The rooms were impeccable and large and fitted the image that we had expected of a "country house retreat". The were elegant and full of style and history. The entire stay was an adventure! One of the owners Shaffin greeted us personally the next day and made us feel as if we were the only guests at the Wake Robin Inn, such was his attentive nature. I am certain he is the same with everyone. He is the consumate hotelier. A master of his craft. We left the Wake Robin Inn wanting to return the following weekend and treat ourselves again to the spoiloing delights of the establishment. However this is not possilble since we live in Australia, but the Wake Robin Inn WILL be on my intinerary the next tine I travel. I will even go out of my way to adjust my travel plans to make certain I can spend a couplke of nights amidst such welcoming company. I recommend people to plan to stay at the Wake Robin Inn before the year is out!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 31 May 2005

My partner and I stayed for one night recently. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a large private balcony. The view is incredible - the grounds are beautifully manicured and natural. We were very comfortable and enjoyed the relaxation. We chose to dine at the Inn's pub and were very impressed - the food was delicious and the service was wonderful. The nearby towns are also very quaint and filled with wonderful antique shops. We will be returning to Wake Robin in the fall to celebrate our civil union and would recommend this wonderful establishment to anyone looking for a civil union/wedding/reception site. Also, the lake (right across the street) is lovely with some wonderful spots for pictures, as well. Thanks to Michael, Shaffin and their exceptional staff for a wonderful stay. We can't wait to return in October!

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lakeville, CT
Reviewed 26 March 2005

As a resident of Lakeville, CT, let me tell everyone this -- there is only one place to stay in this area. Wake Robin Inn. Why? A great place with great, large rooms and great hospitality, like a European hotel. Unlike other places in northwest CT, which seem to see service as a chore, the staff and owner-managers of Wake Robin are always, always welcoming. Everyone there has managed the almost impossible task of being a place to call home for getaway & corporate travellers as well as the local population. All the parents at the private schools in the area (I work at one!) stay here. These are very demanding folks from all over the world. A lovely Irish pub on the ground floor serves surprisingly good food and has an outdoor dining deck open in summer. If you're looking for a civic and civil place unlike any other around here, Wake Robin Inn is it. Just ask anyone who lives here.

• Stayed January 2005
7 Thank Chefetter
Reviewed 19 February 2005

My husband and I have had several wonderful dinners at the Wake Robin Inn and have enjoyed the Michael Bryan Pub which reminded us of our trips to Ireland. We decided that since we were "empty nester's" we would spend Christmas at the Inn with friends. The Inn was very festive and inviting for the holiday. Our room exceeded our expectations! Not only was it extremely clean and comfortable, it was exactly what I expected an elegant country inn to be.

Christmas dinner included a 5 onion soup, field green salad, choice of amazing entre's and a dessert buffet to die for. The presentation and service was perfect.

Breakfast was at our leisure in the morning and included not only an ample buffet but also a served hot dish.

The warm, friendly staff, beautiful room and incredible food at Wake Robin Inn made our Christmas special. Our friends and we are looking forward to visiting the Inn again.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 January 2005

We have been staying at the Wake Robin about four times a year for several years now. Our daughter goes to one of the several boarding schools in the area and so we look forward to our trips for parent's weekend, etc. We also look forward to our trips there because of the Wake Robin Inn. We have stayed in many wonderful hotels, B&B's, and small inns but we wouldn't trade a stay at the Wake Robin for any of them!
The innkeepers have only had the Wake Robin for a few years and they carefully restore more of it each time we visit. Yes, it needs some paint in places outside and I know the innkeepers have that on their list, but so did Mt. Vernon the last time we visited Washington's home! Somehow it gives it a bit of charm much like old homes have.
The very large white inn (which used to be a girl's boarding school at the turn of the century) sits on a gentle hill in the gorgeous small town of Lakeville, Ct. The grounds are beautifully cared for and the area in front of and in back of the inn is heavily wooded. One evening several wild turkeys even roamed the front lawn as we drove up!
Inside the Wake Robin you will always be greeted by the staff like you were family back from a trip away, and the dark wood Michael O'Brian's Irish Pub is a wonderful place to sit back, unwind from traveling and have a wonderfuly cooked dinner.
The decor of each room is different, but all tastefully done and very lovely English inn looking. Every room we have stayed in is spotless and the sheets and towels are soft and inviting. On cool evenings when we didn't need air conditioning or heating we have opened the windows to let the quiet breeze in, the sounds of the city are far, far away at the Wake Robin!
I couldn't think of a nicer place for a small wedding, a family reunion, a fall leaf tour, or just a quiet getaway for the weekend. The Wake Robin is a special and lovely inn outside and in!

5 Thank WillaTravels
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 August 2004

In Aug 2004 my husband and I stayed for one night at the Wake Robin Inn in Lakeville, CT. Lakeville is in Litchfield County, north of Kent and very near the New York and Massachusetts borders. It is also near the Lime Rock Park Speedway. We were very happy with our stay at the Wake Robin. It was our 10th wedding anniversary. I wanted to stay somewhere in Litchfield County near to a place to rent kayaks. I originally booked a room at the Toll House Inn, but after reading a couple of really bad reviews I switched to the Wake Robin Inn. I couldn’t find too many reviews for the Wake Robin, but I figured that was a good sign. ;-) I emailed them and said it was our 10th anniversary and I wanted a romantic room with a canopy bed. They emailed me back an offer of their Honeymoon suite at a reduced rate (since we were going mid-week). I booked it, and then even had to change the date slightly when our plans changed a few weeks before our trip. They accommodated the change with no problems.

We arrived up the sloping drive, and noticed that the grounds seemed very well kept. We came around the curved drive to see the lovely big inn. Well, to be honest I was slightly concerned when I saw the peeling paint on the outside of the inn. But my doubts were quickly resolved when I walked into the inn. The first thing I noticed was the very friendly staff. Everyone was very, very nice. When we checked in they wished us Happy Anniversary and gave us two complimentary drink coupons. We went up to our room, and settled in. The room was lovely. The best thing was the cotton bedspread, and cotton sheets, and thick cotton towels, and cotton drapes, and cotton canopy on the bed. So many hotels and even “inns” have awful poly/cotton sheets etc. that feel terrible. Not here at the Wake Robin. Other amenities include a small refrigerator stocked with complimentary bottled water and soda, cable TV, and a private porch with table and several chairs.

We decided to have dinner at the restaurant in the inn, Michael Bryan’s. We used our drink vouchers for a glass of white zinfandel and a glass of Sam Adams. They were both very good. We ordered the sirloin steak, which was cooked and seasoned perfectly. I got the Black and White Mousse for dessert, which was very good. The staff was very polite and the food was served promptly. I highly recommend Michael Bryan’s (incidentally, the name of the innkeeper).

More about the inn itself – the one thing I noticed was how CLEAN everything was. There were areas that were worn (the main carpeted stairs, the paint peeling from the outside walls) but everything was very clean and well kept. The inn has antiques throughout, and the atmosphere was very comfortable and almost elegant. It takes a lot of money and manpower to maintain a very large, very old building such as the Wake Robin Inn, so I can overlook the maintenance issues. But you can tell they really try to keep a high standard at the inn. In the morning the groundskeeper was using hand clippers instead of a weedwacker to trim the sidewalk. I don’t know for sure but my guess is that the innkeeper doesn’t what to disturb his guests with the awful sound that a weed wacker makes.

My only disappointment may have been the complimentary continental breakfast. They were no bagels, only tea, coffee, oj, cold cereal, danish, and a fruit and nut bread. But, this may have been because we were there mid-week. But then, the hostess came to us and said that the chef wanted to make us a special eggs and bacon breakfast to honor our anniversary. We were so happy! And the food was delicious!

There is a lake nearby that has a swimming area, and canoe to rent. Clarke Outdoors is also nearby, with kayak and raft rentals. We didn’t get to go to Clarkes but the lake was very nice. A little further away is Kent, but only about a 15 minute drive down Route 7. We stopped at the Sloane-Stanley and Antique Machinery Museum. We met a man there who gave us a personal tour for about an hour. He was so interesting to talk to – someone who had retired from Wall Street and now spends his free time tinkering with antique machines and teaching others about them. What a nice man and a great story!

All in all, we had a great time at the inn and in Litchfield County. We highly recommend it, and will go back again. We may even bring the kids next time!

8 Thank Shadowfax44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
White Hart Inn
#2 of 4 in Norfolk
The Cornwall Inn
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall

Been to Wake Robin Inn? Share your experiences!