“Beware of Weddings”

Interlaken Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeville
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lovely venue. Sadly, when we visited there was an outdoor wedding reception. Despite being told when we made the reservation, that the reception would end by 10, the loud and poorly performed music went beyond midnight. Sleep was at a premium. Certainly not what one anticipates when spending $300 per night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeoZ1956
Kevin B, General Manager at Interlaken Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience this Guest suffered, and I will be gathering more information on how this could have happened. The contracted wedding occupied every room surrounding the wedding facility, so I will certainly work to understand how a room in the Sunnyside building could have affected this person's stay. It is my intention to make sure all travelers visiting our property have a fantastic stay.

Thank you for stating our property is a 'lovely venue'. Trust that I will get to the bottom of what happened.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have been returning to the Interlaken Inn for 15+ years. Why? The Inn is nice, clean and they have affordable packages. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is fantastic.

There are different buildings that can help reflect your stay. This time we were in the Sunnyside building. It is a Victorian home that has 1 pet friendly room with a King bed. Our bed was very comfortable. The room is nicely appointed and there is a mini fridge to keep dog food, soda etc. There is a nominal "pet fee" for your stay. This includes very comfy dog beds that our dog slept in immediately.

We took a three night package and added some extra nights. The weather was great. The lake is beautiful and so relaxing to sit and read. We did our usual walks on the Harlem Valley Rail trail in Millerton. We visited Great Barrington, Salisbury, Sharon, Millbrook, Millerton. My husband played golf at the Hotchkiss school next door to the Inn. He practiced putting on the greens by the big lake. He played golf in Egremont CC nearby. The driving range in Millerton is good too. We went canoeing, swimming at the inn and there is tennis available. We were there for a week and were not bored, even after going up so often, we did new things.

Often, it is up to you to enjoy your vacation, but The Interlaken makes it easy because they offer a lot and there are a lot of things to do nearby. It is a great location from the Metro NY area.

I can not say enough nice things about the staff. From the moment we checked in we were welcomed by Liz. Every time you walked into the lobby, Winston, Liz, Alyssa, Judy, Amy or William said hello, asked how dinner, or breakfast was. They were always cordial and helpful. The housekeeping staff, Managed by Helen were nice and willing to provide whatever we needed. Kevin and Michelle B take such pride in the inn. They are wonderful people. It was nice to socialize with them at the "Intermingle" the inn offers on Wednesdays.

The Inn holds an intermingle on Wednesdays to get to know the guests, staff and local business partners. It is a meet and greet of sorts. They offer cocktails, food samplings and nice company for an hour. This Intermingle was by the lake. It was perfect and the sample cocktail was yummy. A great job by Wes and Brandon for their creative talents for the pallet.

And then there is Morgans and the breakfast during the week. Mon - Fri there is a free breakfast. Brenda greets the Inn guests with a smile. She is always trying to please the guests and she makes yummy omlettes. She has been a wonderful addition to the Interlaken staff. We asked for a special dish and Eric made sure it was perfect for us. They had a pork loin special that was amazing.

The strip steak was as good, if not better, thank the NYC steak houses. There was a homemade gnocci that was out of this world. Lest you forget, desert offerings are great too. Again Morgans is 5 star cuisine and if you want something that is not on the menu, ask. If you have dietary restrictions, let them know before you arrive. They will make it happen for you. The Staff at Morgans is great, Eric, Brendon, Wes, William and Tom and Fernando were on while we visited. Incredible dinners each night!

Lastly, we asked to see the newly done Penthouse Suite...WOW. It is out of a chic NYC Hotel. Beautifully appointed, rooftop Jacuzzi and fountain for relaxing and it is FABULOUS. I am planning on staying there without the dog..maybe for an anniversary!

I think this place is great and I recommend it to everyone. If I did not like something I would write about it, but there is nothing negative to say. Loved it. Thank you Interlaken Inn!

Room Tip: Pet friendly rooms are all nice...If you want a more contemporary room go for the townhouse rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Virginia S
Kevin B, General Manager at Interlaken Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you, Virginia, for such a wonderful and detailed review. Your warm and sincere comments about our property and staff mean so much.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your extra long stay with us, both relaxing at the property and in the local area. As you've pointed out, there really is so much to do while visiting this part of Connecticut. It looks like you did most of our favorite activities!

You are a very loyal Guest and we all appreciate that very much. We look forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully in our new Penthouse Suite. Thank you again for taking the time to write such compliments of Interlaken.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I am writing this to respond to the previous bad wedding review which was held last Saturday at Interlaken Inn. It was the wedding of my only daughter, which she said after, "was the wedding she always dreamed of. A prefect wedding." Every guest who attended basically agreed . "It was just beautiful from the setting , food, flowers, music , ceremony everything perfect' But at last we cannot please everyone.
True it is a short walk to the lake, on a paved road where the ceremony was held. But it a guest feels the walk is to much they can drive or be driven to the sight, The appetizer which she didn't like was , crab salad on plantain, which was one of the many appetizers we picked for a long list was a favorite of mine. Again cant please everyone.
True as any early Spring night it did get cooler. But those who found it uncomfortable could have went to the attached room off the tent. Again it was my daughters choice to leave the sides of the tent up. Noone left early because of the chill. And no one was unhappy except maybe one guest.... All in all my daughter was very happy with her wedding. And as already stated isn't that what a wedding is al about the bride? Not a guest who has a chip on her shoulder. Would I recommend this venue for a wedding. Absolutely, Stephanie was the best wedding planner. The entire staff at Interlaken went out of their way to make this the most beautiful wedding for my daughter. I thank each and everyone for a beautiful day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Liane M
Kevin B, General Manager at Interlaken Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

We are very appreciative that you took the time to share your daughter's happiness about her wedding here at Interlaken. We strive to make the day perfect for every couple, and to know the day was just as she hoped for pleases us greatly. Thank you so much for sharing with the Tripadvisor audience.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently attended a wedding at this venue. Unfortunately, I can't say I recommend it. The ceremony took place on the lake across the street. It's a bit of a walk to the lake, but once you arrive, it's lovely. After the ceremony, the cocktail hour started out ok, though some of the appetizers were a little strange (dried banana topped with crab salad?) Next we were directed to the reception tent. Here's where the problems started. The sides were completely off on 2 lengths of the tent, mid May. As the sun dropped behind the trees, so did the temperature. It went from about 75 degrees during the day to about 55 rather quickly. Most women were not prepared for the serious drop in temperature. I asked politely (the server at first, then after about an hour the floor manager) if they could please put sides on the tent (no heaters also) I was told that brides/grooms are required to "make a call" at the beginning of the day "sides on or sides off", and that they will not alter or adjust based on weather. I happen to be a wedding planner and have 20 years of experience watching caterers take sides on and off as necessary. Here, I was told it was too difficult, required ladders, tents sides were in storage, not possible....REALLY? I felt particularly bad for the old folks, who left very early. People went to their cars for winter coats. Guests were not happy. It's a shame. They clearly do not understand the wedding market, or their responsibility to their client.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pmg14
Kevin B, General Manager at Interlaken Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

After reading the comments from this Guest, I think this is something that should have been discussed directly and not brought to the attention of millions of Tripadvisor readers. Certainly better discretion and respect should have been considered before she attacked how the Bride wanted her event to be carried out. It appears this "experienced" wedding planner forgot the most vital piece of wedding event etiquette: the entire day belongs to the Bride. What the Bride wants she will get. That is how the Interlaken team has made their success in catering such a special event.

I do not need to answer these comments from a near-sighted Guest; I can only offer the readership this message from the Bride’s family. “It was a beautiful day, Stephanie did an OUTSTANDING job! We will certainly be responding ourselves on the Tripadvisor site."

I have seen my share of self absorbed individuals (being in the hospitality business for over 40 years), but to question the Bride on her day certainly reaches a new level.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

As the warm weather arrived and the driving season started, I once again spent 2 nights at the Interlaken, to attend a Porsche event at Lime Rock Park. The hotel is very close to the track and quite convenient. The staff was once again friendly and on top of things. The room was comfortable and clean. The complimentary breakfast is available very early, which includes made to order eggs or omelets. I had a chance to meet the managerial staff at a meet and greet cocktail hour and chatted with them for quite some time. They are not only very friendly, but very concerned about the guest's experience at the hotel.

If you are going to the area, this is the place to stay. Thanks Michelle for always making my stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank IslandLovers01

We so appreciate you taking the time to write another favorable review about our service and the staff here at Interlaken. It was certainly our pleasure meeting you, so I thank you for joining us at our Wednesday cocktail hour. It is always enjoyable to welcome back the Racers for another great season at Lime Rock Park. We look forward to your next visit, and will make certain all of your future stays with us are most comfortable.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I first stayed at Interlaken one year ago and gave it an excellent rating. Another stay this year it receives the same high marks. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and inviting. The newly redone bathroom showers are now my favorite type of walk-in shower. The staff exceptionally friendly and accommodating. No request goes unnoticed. Each request is met with a smile. Morgan's Restaurant is 5-stars. The food beautifully seasoned and presented. Delicious and a warm atmosphere. Don't stay anyplace else if you are in the area! I will be a repeat customer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mlikens

Thank you so much for such a complimentary review of our property and staff. We all truly enjoy serving our Guests and I am glad it shows. We are so pleased you enjoyed your weekend with us, and will look forward to many return visits from you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I very much liked our 1 night stay at the Interlaken. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, Morgan's restaurant is phenomenal, and my wife got an excellent massage from the on-site Ellora spa.

We paid $199/night on hotels.com and despite that being a relatively low rate for the Interlaken, I still feel like that is a bit much. This is not a fancy, elite looking property, and has more rustic charm than any "wow factor." I'd definitely recommend it overall, but I can see why those paying higher rates in the summer could be a bit underwhelmed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Interlaken Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am so glad that you enjoyed your getaway here, as we strive to create a comfortable, relaxing destination that you'll fall in love with.

As the summer season approaches we do hope that you'll return to take advantage of all of our property amenities. Our staff will soon be preparing the lake front (canoes & kayaks are complimentary for Guests), the numerous gardens & plantings, the swimming pool, tennis courts and more (golf is right next door too). Frequently our Guests find that everything they need is right here, making us a good choice for an "all-inclusive" property in this area.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a favorable review. We do hope that you'll visit us again this season!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
White Hart Inn
White Hart Inn
#1 of 1 in Salisbury
BW Premier Collection The Litchfield Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#4 of 10 in Great Barrington
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa

Been to Interlaken Inn? Share your experiences!