“Feeling like family--Excellent Service--Nestled in New England Charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Litchfield Inn

Litchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield
Wake Village, Texas
“Feeling like family--Excellent Service--Nestled in New England Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I am an extended stay traveler first arriving in the Inn in August, and expected to spend no less than 3 weeks of every month and usually no less than 4 nights of every week through June or July of 2014. First about the Management and Customer Relations (CR)team: Relationships of value usually start out somewhat rocky before leveling off and becoming something extremely meaningful. It's somewhat like the "storming/norming" of teams in building productive relationships--and my relationship as a whole (Management and team) has evolved into what I deem a family type relationship. The CR team has always gone out of their way to attend to the needs of their guests. I didn't always understand why someone wasn't at the front desk, until I needed them. They didn't short change me when they dealt with reported issues. Extended travelers need a feeling of home and familiarity and that's just what I get at the Inn no less than 80% of the time. Upon arrival, and because I need space to work in the evening, I was placed in one of the renovated Suites (the Jr or Sr), but then I had an opportunity to speak to the Manager about job here, my needs, Just from speaking to me, and somewhat gauging my personality directed me to one of the rooms in the "Themed" section of the hotel--a room with an easy chair with a light, phone at arms length and electric fireplace--just like home--but with, old world charm furnishings and fixtures, and a canopy bed fit for the Queen that I am! The bigger closets really work well, and the separate vanity area off from the bathroom affords just the right lighting to apply facial creams, make-up, etc. Although there is a Keurig downstairs, the individual coffee pot in the room lets me have coffee in the privacy of the room. Each week, at check-in, the staff makes every effort to assure I am returned to the same room which really makes it a home away from home. The staff has resolved every issue I've reported and I'm not shy about reporting things and giving them an opportunity to resolve. I learned long ago that people can't read my mind, and its unfair of me to think different. My husband has traveled with me and is in awe of how I'm treated by the staff--just like I'm family returning from a weekend trip. I leave items, that are for the most part returned to my room and waiting for me on the day of my return. Roccio always assures my room is cleaned and in-room amenities are replenished. Judy (before leaving), Amanda and Nicole.are priceless and the new team members are following in their footsteps to make every stay memorable. Nothing is perfect, but from the appearance of the grounds, public areas, restaurant, and both the renovated and Theme rooms, this staff certainly is poised to remain on the excellence and perfection journey and wont rest on their laurels. A big ole Texas sized THANK YOU for your hospitality and for making me feel right at home and part of a family even when my family is 23 hours away!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ladyessents
Jessie A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking out the time to share your experience. You are and will be one of our family members at the Inn. I am happy my team at each level is able to make you feel at home. I always hear your arrival and your needs been discussed before your check in and it feels great to see the staff being personally responsible. I am sure your kindness and sense of understanding towards the daily practical issues which may sometime hinder our services are truly acknowledged. My team will always be at your service and would make you feel great at all times.

Thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Litchfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Had a recent extended stay at the Inn. The facilities were recently renovated, nicely upgraded and well-maintained. A dedicated and attentive staff will ensure an enjoyable visit. The Inn successfully offers an alternative to a B+B or more elaborate hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 957traveller
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We are very glad to read about your stay and definitely will be always striving towards best of our services. We look forward to have you again.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I got married here on December 3, 2013. The staff was exceedingly helpful and friendly. Our room was large, well-appointed, new furnishings, and clean. We had a small reception at the adjoining restaurant, Bantam Café. The food was excellent, and our waitress was very attentive. We had a wonderful experience, and believe this is an excellent location to stay at and enjoy a special occasion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jessie A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you at the Inn and make your special moments memorable. We at the Inn like to celebrate the joy of our guests and always are eagerly waiting for their visits. We wish you great times ahead and hope to be a part of it again.

Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

As a business traveler, I'm used to hotels all blending together, nothing memorable. The Litchfield Inn broke the mold. The staff was incredibly accommodating and every detail was thought of! I can't wait to visit again

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback and we truly acknowledge your compliments. We are glad to come up to your expectations and make you feel at ease. We understand how it must be to be on the road all the time as a business traveler and to make a stay perfect for you is a victory for all of us at the Inn.

Frenchtown, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Be VERY careful if you plan to stay here! This was our experience on the nightmare of Thanksgiving 2013...

We booked two rooms for our family -- 3 adults, two toddlers, and an infant -- and asked for adjoining rooms. The only adjoining rooms this hotel has are in the "un-renovated section," but they didn't tell us that when we booked. On Thanksgiving we went by the hotel when we got into town, around 11:30 a.m., and asked if we could check in and drop the bags in the room. We were told one room was ready and one was not. But in order to drop the bags in the room that was ready, it would be a $35 early check-in fee; otherwise. We couldn't drop the bags without paying an extra $35 – and the room was already paid for. Seriously!

Around 8 p.m. that night we arrived to check in. Three adults, with two toddlers and an infant, walked into the first room and it was cold and dark. There weren’t any good lights in the room because, as we learned later, this was the “Sherlock Holmes” theme room. “I love that room,” the clerk said. It was cold because the heat wasn’t on. We went into the adjoining room and it was cold too. The heat was off in both rooms and it was 18 degrees outside. We turned on the heat and I went down to get a lamp. They said they would bring a lamp up, and I went back to the room – to find that the heaters were now on, but blowing cold air. This was too much! I went down to ask the manager to switch to new rooms. “I’m sorry sir, but the hotel is full,” she replied. “But not everyone has checked in,” I replied, “and we have little kids sleeping on the floor of a cold room. Can you find us a different room?” The reply: “We can try, but that would mean moving someone who asked to be in the newly renovated section.” Ahhh, I didn’t know how important it was to ask for the new section, if you want light and heat!

After another 10 minutes the call came that they had found one new room for us, but only one and they would do this because of the children. We had decided by that time to just tough it out where we were – the kids were settling in and everyone wanted to go to bed. So we asked to please get some extra pillows (only two per room), extra soap (one bar per room), and please fix the heat. The bedspreads were light weight, and there weren’t even extra blankets in the closets. 18 degrees out -- seriously.

Speaking of heat, when I asked why – when it was so cold outside – they didn’t bother to have the heat on in the room, the manager said, “Sir, we have an old system, and if we turn on the heat at check-in for all the rooms, then it would mess up the tower and throw off the whole system.” Seriously?

Eventually the air in one of the rooms warmed up, but in the other room it stayed cold. The desk clerk came up with two space heaters – the kind you put under an office desk – and I asked her to please feel the air blowing out and give her opinion. She said, “Well, it’s not like AC, but it’s definitely not warm. I suggest you turn it off and use these. “By the way,” she said, “we’re giving you 15% off the room because of all the trouble.” Hmmm…

Next morning at check out, I double checked on the 15%. For both rooms? No, just the one where the heat wasn’t working. “That’s nice,” I said, “but I think 50% would be more reasonable.” The reply: “Sir, we can’t do that. My manager doesn’t even know about the 15%.” Seriously.

The problem is, Litchfield Inn is basically the only option for many miles around. So, weary traveler, you may not have much choice. But despite the price, this is no Marriott. The staff is kind, but don't expect much from the management, and definitely ask for the renovated section!

Room Tip: Whatever you do, ask for the renovated section!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PWTJ2013
Dear Guest,

I feel extremely sorry to read about your experience with the Inn. Our efforts are always to make our guest comfortable but unfortunately when your mother made the reservation, the Inn was 70% occupied and the kind of request of adjoining rooms was asked for was given and informed about the rooms. While a room in the newer wing was also offered to you in the evening which you denied to move. I understand the discomfort which you were facing and my staff made all the possible efforts to make you feel better. We do not deny a situation of possible technical flaws and my team was trying to overcome with all their capabilities. Your rude behavior did hurt them but we prefer to work on a possibility of making things better than worst. I know the discount we offered on both your rooms cannot substitute the hassle you had to go through but I assure you of best of our services in future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in late October whilst visiting from Ireland. The staff are outstanding and couldn't do enough for us. The room was really spacious and beautifully decorated. There were lots of beautiful little treats for guests, chocolate chip cookies and a welcome letter from the Manager. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the staff really lovely. There was a beautiful lounge with lovely views and a very handy business centre. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Oscar05032005
Jessie A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

My team is overjoyed to read your response and quite motivated to step up as always to make our guest comfortable. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to have you again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The good,,,,we made reservations with Judy (night desk) by phone at this Inn. What an exceptional lady, probably the best customer service from any one individual we have ever received. She booked us for early arrival and one night and then got us a second night even though the hotel was booked solid, though we were going to have to change rooms.
The B&B is very nicely decorated and the room (new wing) was large and comfortable with an assortment of amenities. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
The bad....when we got to the room the heater didn't work and the room was about 35 degrees. The manager came up and got it running and then brought up a space heater (kind of scary having space heaters running in a very old wood building) to help warn up the room. The regular heat only had two settings, on or off, no matter how much we tried we couldn't adjust it. So we had a choice between sauna or an arctic adventure. Made for a very uncomfortable night. Some of the remodel was poorly done, like the toilet rocked back and forth (room 201).
Like I said we were going to have to change rooms for the second night but we were leaving early to take our Granddaughter to New York. Judy had told us we could leave the rooms at the front desk and they would put them in the new room after cleaning. Went down four times to do that between 4:30 and 5:30 but there was no one there, so we just took the bags with us and drove on to Hartford for our flight out the next day.
Overall....it is a beautiful inn but they really need to upgrade the HVAC (air.heat) system and check their contractors work, sometimes its the small things that can make a difference. And if all their staff was as helpful as Judy they would receive five stars all the time.
I'll review the restaurant on another page but I would give it a pass based on our experience.

Room Tip: Room 201 has heat problems and toilet not bolted down properly
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DKB100
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review and we definitely will take your comments as a suggestion to improve our services. We are happy that your stay was comfortable. We look forward to have you again and hope to make your stay even better.

Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield
The Mayflower Grace
#1 of 4 in Torrington
Blackberry River Inn
Blackberry River Inn
#2 of 4 in Norfolk

Been to Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!