“Go for the view, not for the food”

Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Madison
Hamden, CT
“Go for the view, not for the food”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We have been here for lunch twice and dinner once. The view is spectacular, and I really want to say I love the restaurant, but I can't. We have had great service at lunch, but our dinner experience was chaotic at the very least. We waited over 20 minutes to get a drink, finally going to the bar ourselves. The food is just mediocre at best - very bland and boring menu. Generally I would suggest this if you are willing to wait for a table outside, and have plenty of time to sit, but dont have great expectations for a memorable dining experience. I can't vouch for the rooms, but the lobby of the hotel is quite nice and the staff very friendly. I hope they can ramp up their restaurant, because this has all the potential to be THE place to go on Connecticut's shoreline.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DaveSteve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
NY
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Too bad such a beautiful location is wasted with such poor management and wait staff. My husband and I spent a beautiful afternoon getting annoyed and frustrated in this restaurant. They didn't come over to even take our drink order for nearly 45 min before we left! Come on! Don't waste your time, or money (they are not cheap, either). Hopefully they will get their act together...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank yorkiegirl999
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The Madison Beach Hotel was quietly lovely. The rooms were beautiful, the massage at the spa incredibly relaxing, and the service is very friendly. Also very importantly, it's easy - easy to reach without a lot of traffic, easy access to a walkable beach, and easy to get to a downtown with cute shops and a fantastic bookstore. While laying on the hotel's provided beach chairs and towels, we were offered complimentary water with lime and lemon, and a little later, frozen grapes. Overall, the place was just pure relaxation.

The only thing I wasn't obsessed with was the restaurant, which was fine, though a little overpriced as hotel restaurants typically are. Next time I may venture into town for dinner, if I can work up the energy.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms face the ocean, so you really can't lose
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Wolcott,CT
Reviewed 15 July 2012

First let me tell you that the staff is excellent. From the moment you arrive you are greeted like you are a VIP. We decided to dine on the deck the views where par none and the hotel beautiful. My only compliant was that they used plastic glasses on the deck. I had ordered a $12 dollar Lemon Basil Martini. It was excellent... but did not do it for me in a plastic martini glass that did not stay chilled. The manger explained something about glasses breaking regarding some guys who put there drinks on the deck and a wind blowing them over. The wine also had to be served in plastic glasses. They ran out of glasses and served it in a champage glass. The pasta dish we had was mediocre and the shrimp wrapped in bacon good. I would probably stick to the burgers, calamari and pizza that they offer for the deck and order a beer in a plastic glass. Eat in at the bar and go for a martini in a glass.

Room Tip: Didn't stay over but plan to try again for a long weekend.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2012

While in Madison with family, we decided to try this spot. To start we waited almost 45 minutes for an outside table after the hostess told us a 5 minute wait. They kept giving tables away to people that just arrived. If that wasn't enough of a waste of time, we sat at the seat for another 40 minutes, not even served water. We were completely ignored by the waitstaff, and the manager.
Although I was lucky enough to not try the food, I heard people complaining all around me. One woman was complaining to wait staff that the 4 dollar each shrimp tatted like rubber. Somebody else told us to leave because they had to get the owner over just to get a drink. I would avoid this spot at all costs. There are only so many weekends in a summer. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Johnm33798
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Very friendly staff, excellent service, the restaurant is very good. Would highly recommend to anyone seeking a deluxe hotel on the Connecticut coast

• Stayed June 2012
Farmington, CT
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I ate here on a Friday night in late June 2012. It was recommended to us by her parents. We arrived with no reservations around 6:00pm. The hotel has complimentary valet parking. The valet was very pleasant and even showed us the way to the restaurant. There were tables inside that were available, but we wanted to eat outside on the balcony overlooking the beach so we waited. We sat at the bar and had amazing drinks and good conversation with the bartenders. The bar was very nice and we could have easily ate there. We were seated after about 30 minutes.

The setting outside was very nice. The service was very good and the food was spot on, but maybe a bit pricey. The fillet was $44.00, we didn't get that. The calamari was excellent for about $12. The $23.00 strip steak was good, but nothing to write home about.

The Madison Beach Hotel Restaurant gets my overall approval.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AWandering1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Guilford
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!