“Horrible food...”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Madison
New Milford, Connecticut
“Horrible food...”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently were there for a wedding and although the wedding was beautiful the appetizers and meal were NOT good. Yes I know it is wedding food, but if you are paying $175 a plate you expect it to be edible. The appetizers were okay at best. The brie filo pockets were okay but everything else tasted like frozen boxed appetizers. One waiter came around with what he said were jalapeno popper balls and I went to put one in my mouth and my brother screams "it's a crab cake" don't eat it! I am VERY allergic to crab and thankfully he had eaten one first because I would of ended up in the ER. His response was, "oh is it?"

They brought out the salads in at the dinner and we proceeded to start eating them when my family member next to me realized at the bottom of the plate was pecans which he is allergic too. The waitress never asked anyone at our table if they had any allergies or told us that the salads contained nuts. Thankfully he did not accidentally eat one and he is not as allergic as some people to nuts.

So after all this I was banking on the filet mignon dinner being good since they had upgraded the beef dinner... I was wrong. It was not filet mignon no matter what they say. It literally tasted like beef pot roast with a weird red wine. It was incredibly dry and had the consistency of pot roast. The few small carrots and patty pan squash it came with were raw and hard. They wouldn't even be considered al dente steamed, they were raw.

Another person at my table got the chicken it was pink inside from being undercooked. Another family member next to me who was a vegetarian (the same person that is allergic to nuts) asked what he would be served and they said it would be a vegetable ravioli. She later came out and apologized saying that it was a grilled portobello mushroom. It was a barely cooked portobello mushroom with the raw vegetables.

Bad food and the servers really should be aware of allergies. Ok granted maybe we should of asked about the nuts but I asked what was being served and they said Jalapeno Popper and it was a crab cake!!! BEWARE

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Christina C
John M, General Manager at Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Christina C -
Thank you for taking time to share your concerns about your experience with us. I am very alarmed about the situation you described. We take great care when planning wedding menus to review any and all allergies. Our contact with the wedding party provides us with attendees' menu choices and advises us of allergies. We review these allergies at our pre-event meeting and note where the guests with allergies will be sitting. We also advise our staff of any food items that contain ingredients that are allergens. Of course, there may be attendees with allergies that the wedding party was not aware of. For this reason, and due to your comments, we are now taking the additional precaution of inquiring at each table about allergies. Your comment about the jalapeno poppers is especially concerning as we do not have, nor have we ever had, such an item on our menu. Perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me directly to discuss your experience in more detail.
Best Regards,
John Mathers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Korean first
Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I needed to travel to coastal Connecticut from Virginia and we were lucky enough to find this perfect spot and room availability for 2 nights just before the 4th of July holiday. Michelle at the front desk was terrific, Valet /Bellman assistance from Enzo was superb, he took very good care of my husband's newly purchased car as did Dane who made some great suggestions for our trip to Mystic (see my review for dinner there).Anne on the beach was very gracious to us as well and we enjoyed all of these young people as it was clear they were well trained and enjoyed their jobs.
Our room had a great view and a very long porch which wrapped around. Plenty of closet space and a lovely shower and bathroom area. The bed was very comfortable, albeit a bit soft for our taste, but linens and pillows were of a fine grade. There were 2 TV's in our suite and a mini refrigerator which we did use. I missed 2 things in the room that I would have liked; a full length mirror and our room did not have a listing of the TV channels...not that we watched much but it took a while to find FOX News while flipping through a lot of marketing channels :)
We met some lovely people and had a quiet and restful few days at this resort. I would tell anyone who wants a friendly atmosphere run by genuinely nice people who care about their staff and who ensure that their staff care for their customers to stay at the Madison Beach Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lakemates
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Beautiful location and wonderful staff, arrival to departure. Lunch on the porch was great, dinner on the porch even better. Water view from every room. Nice small beach for guests only. Wish we found this get away sooner, but we will return

1 Thank Sue A
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The fellows that took care of our automobile during our stay were 110%, they couldn't do enough for you. In fact I never tipped them until the last day when I gave a very generous tip that wasn't expected. But even though I didn't tip them each time they brought the car around and had no idea that they would ever receive anything from us (my wife and I), they were always extremely courteous and professional. That's the sign of a well run resort.
They book a lot of weddings and on the weekend while we were there, the hotel was packed with people and parties. Even though it quieted down at night and everything ran smoothly. Definitely recommended!!! Jim and Nancy-Honda Cross tour!!

Room Tip: Every room faces the Ocean. Stay on the second floor if you can so you're not too dependent on t...
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Let me start by saying that the Hotel is generally amazing. The location, the views, the staff, the restaurant, and the spa were all top notch. The King room south facing was very nice with a great comfy bed and huge bathroom with deep tub and large separate shower. We were on an anniversary one-night getaway.

Please be aware that even thought the hotel was torn down and rebuilt three years ago, it has some issues. The first being soundproofing. We were in a room in the middle of a block of wedding party rooms. The room had an adjoining door to the next room which has NO SOUNDPROOFING. Even if they weren't loud and crazy into the wee hours, a normal conversation could be heard. Same went for the door to the hallway. You can see light all the way around the door. Again, booming voices and slamming doors right in your room. Pretty disappointing. We called the front desk at 1:30am and the noise diminished. We complained at checkout and were told there is a no noise after 11pm policy, so don't be afraid to call earlier than we did. The takeaway from this is that you need to ask for a non-adjoining room and ask if there is a wedding party on your floor. There are 1 or 2 weddings each weekend of the summer.

The second issue was an obviously leaking roof of our balcony which dripped from algae stained roofing the whole time, so we only had 1/2 of our balcony useable. Just fix it... it's obvious.

Brunch on the Beach turned out to be just in the Warf restaurant, which was EXCELLENT, but we were hoping it would be actually outside near the beach. Silly me? I guess.

We had terrific meals, spa treatments, and the staff was friendly, helpful, and welcoming. An excellent place to getaway with the the above noted caveats.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjoining room and ask if there is a wedding.
8 Thank Fred3343
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is only a few years old, but it has service that will withstand the test of time. The rooms are modern, large and stylish. The ocean view balcony from each room has great views. The on site valet is a nice touch. The restaurant on site offers high quality food and drink at a very reasonable price. A+ in my book for the MBH!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank bdobis12
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 May 2014

One of the nicest places I have ever stayed!! The staff couldn't have been nicer! Always smiling and willing to help with any request. Food was excellent at the bar's happy hour and in the main dining room. What beautiful rooms with amazing views of the sound! Would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone! And I did!!! Wonderful friends of ours stayed there for their 25th wedding anniversary and also loved it!!! General Manager and his wife were lovely to us!

Room Tip: we stayed in 305, perfect!!! Right in the middle, upper floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Lorraine R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Guilford
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!