“Basic Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manchester
Englewood, Florida
“Basic Hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location for a family function and a good location right off I-84 in Manchester Ct. The front desk staff were very helpful and checked us in quickly. A thing to note about rates though, with Extended Stay, the number of people in the room matters for the rate you will be charged. For example I was able to see on my smartphone I could get a room for 89.99 but when I asked the rate to be changed to the lower rate they told me it was because of the number of people in the room (3) not 1. Though the room had 2 beds?? Not all hotels work this way.
The room was clean and recently refurbished, as was the entire hotel. They offer FREE basic WiFi and offer a faster WiFi for a fee. I used the basic WiFi and had no problems doing web surfing email things. Not sure if this would be good for streaming though. Although most people stay here for extended stays we only stayed one night. The room had a microwave, fridge, 2 burner stove and sink. Some basic items like forks and knives were provided. An iron and ironing board were also in the room. Missing though is a hair dryer of any kind. They tout a huge workspace area. This was a small table and two desk chairs. I would not call this huge and have seen larger in other places. There were ample outlets for charging electronics around the night stand and on the island in the kitchen area.
The windows open and close for fresh air and the AC worked well. We were there during a hot spell and used the AC. It was loud and cycled on and off all night. Our room also had a very strong smell of curry in the kitchen.
The hotel has no outdoor sitting area whatsoever. No chairs, chaises - NOTHING. For an extended stay place this is VERY out of the ordinary. Also no pool or fitness area. No Wednesday night meet your fellow travelers nights with light grub that you encounter at other extended stay places.
Includes a "grab and go" breakfast. Do not expect much of this. Coffee, oatmeal (hot water), breakfast bars... stuff like that. No juice. No yogurt. This must be a new category below "continental".
There are other things in the area to find food. A large area of shops within walking distance. (a Dunkin Donut & Panera Bread for example). You would need to be extra careful up on the road because the shops are located just after the on/off ramp to I-84.
For those of you that like to travel with dogs, you can do that here.
Would I stay here again. Yes. It was a good value, they staff was nice and the place was clean. If I needed to stay for an extended stay... I'd think about it. Do you want a pool or place to keep fit while on extended travel? Do you want an outside sitting area?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for giving such a detailed review of your stay at our hotel. I'm happy that our location was convenient for you, close to the family function which brought you to town. As well, that you were able to enjoy our recent renovation, including an upgrade to offer free wireless internet. Still, I apologize there was not a hairdryer in your room. While we do not offer these in guest rooms, we do have several at the front desk available upon request. In addition, I do apologize that the room had a slight odor and the grab-and-go coffee bar breakfast was not properly described to you. I will work with my staff to help avoid these situations in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that the next time you're in the area, you'll choose to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Check in was quick and the woman at the front desk was very pleasant. We needed a roll away bed and it was delivered quickly. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There's a nice dog walking area behind the building. There were 2 areas that could use tweaking - the roll away bed must have been used in a smoking room because we could detect the smell of cigarettes and we could hear noise from the room above. Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Nancy - Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you had a good time during your stay with us and were able to enjoy the dog walking area. I apologize that the roll-away bed had a slight smoke odor; we can certainly switch that out in the future, if you encounter it again.

I hope that if you visit the area in the future, you'll let us be your "home away from home" again.
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The rooms were good even of we found a wishbone hanging on the kitchen cabnet door. We did have to get some more dishes and silverware as there were only 3 plates 2 Bowles , cups and mugs. We just got a thing of cups and Bowles at the dollar store and the kids took them home to use.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay at our hotel. I'm glad that you and your family enjoyed the room provided. I do apologize that you found a wishbone in your cabinet and for the lack of utensils in your kitchen. Please know, if you ever need any additional amenities, we'd be more than happy to deliver them to your room.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey and let us know how your stay was, so we can continue to improve the service we provide.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were very disappointed with the facility last year, but since then they have spruced up the rooms, replaced the worn out furniture etc., improved housekeeping, and added a Grab to Go breakfast bar. The staff also seem to have been given some 'customer service' education, or they have just hired some really nice, helpful people. Lots of families use this facility, and there also may be pets, so if this annoys you, it may not be the right place for you. The location is very convenient to a major chain grocery (less than one mile), a large mall and lots of restaurants. If you want a little exercise, there is a nice park within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Hi Sandra,

Thank you very much for filling out a review of your stay! I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and all of the upgrades of the recent renovation. We strive to create a memorable and "home away from home" experience for all of our guests by making sure you are comfortable and feel welcome as soon as you walk through the door! I'm happy to hear that the service you received and the staff you encountered were friendly and helpful during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This review is broken up in 2 parts: First, a general review that ignores what I consider a one-off incident. Second, a description of what went wrong when I first got to the hotel:

This hotel has been renovated inside and out recently (2012). It now has a nice modern look for furniture, beddings, and decorations in the rooms, entrance, and hallway. Beds are comfortable, pillows are nice and mattresses are firm. Outside areas are nicely landscaped. Our room was on the first floor, so bathroom was large for accessibility purposes. Windows seal the outside noise quite well (it's next to a very busy road). Construction is not that sturdy, however. The guests on the room above us were very active until 11ish, so the footsteps and creaking sounds of the ceiling were very annoying.

Now, the one-off incident: The initial pet-friendly room I requested REAKED of pee. Imagine a warm sunny day, sunlight coming in through the windows and the room being closed for days. It was awful. The room had gone through housekeeping because beds were made and bathroom was freshened up. I brought front-desk person to check it out and she clearly wasn't well-trained. Her solution was insulting: to use a air freshener and spray down the entire room and leave the windows open for while. Of course that didn't work, so I spoke with someone else at the front desk who was very apologetic and instantly moved me to another room. Why on earth housekeeping let that go unnoticed and why the first front-desk person offered that solution is beyond me. Besides this hopefully one-off incident, my stay was very nice and I would stay here again for this price point and new facility.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are a lot quieter due to a busy road on the front
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We always appreciate feedback so we can continue to improve, as well as celebrate our successes. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the updates that our recent renovation provided! I apologize that the initial room you were in was not as fresh as it should have been and that you were not moved to another room immediately. Still, I am glad that you were able to enjoy all of the updates in the second room.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will allow us to be your "home away from home" the next time you're in the area!
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2013

In my reservation I requested a quiet room, my room was on the parking lot. The room I reserved was not available so they gave me another room but charged me a higher rate-I had a copy of my reservation and mgr changed the rate for me. After traveling for 12 hours we wanted nothing but a quick nap and showers before meeting old friends for dinner. The front desk called and woke us up asking if our room was ok- we had barely looked at it. After showering I could not find a hair dryer in our room and called the front desk for one only to be told there were not any available. I spoke with the mgr and she said there were none available. I explained to her that I was from a warm climate, that I was meeting old friends for dinner and I needed to dry my hair. She said she could not help me. When I asked her for a $20 credit on my bill to cover the cost of the blow dryer I was going to have to go buy at the nearby Walgreens, she said let me call you back. In less than 5 minutes there was a hair dryer at my door. Staying at any hotel should not require so much work. And, for a newly renovated hotel. the bathroom certainly should have been cleaner.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. It was unfortunate that we did not have a hairdryer available upon your initial request, but I'm glad we were able to locate one for you in such a short amount of time. As well, since we take your feedback very seriously, I'm happy to report that we purchased some more hairdryers for the hotel.

Again, thank you for your comments; I will take them and use them to help coach my team to provide better service.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The amount of space was excellent . The room was clean and fairly comfortable. This is bare bones, no ambience, no frills , no luxuries . We don't know if we would stay here again ,unfortunately we had people above us that were active all night walking around overhead making it difficult for us to sleep. I guess if we did stay again I would request a top floor room. Again this is NO FRILLS lodging but not tough on the wallet either

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Chris - Thank you for your review, letting us know how your stay was. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our hotel's spacious guest rooms, it's great location and the affordable price. Still, I apologize that you were disturbed by noises coming from the floor above you, making it difficult for you to sleep.

I hope that next time you're in the area you will give us the opportunity to be your "home away from home" once more. Again, thank you for your comments!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Baymont Inn & Suites Manchester - Hartford CT
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
Americas Best Value Inn - Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford-Manchester
Courtyard Hartford Manchester
Red Roof Inn Hartford - Vernon

Been to Extended Stay America - Hartford - Manchester? Share your experiences!