“$ 8.00 for Coffee???”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a friend from CA who was staying nearby. It was on the way home to NH for us so we decided to try it. The interior was very comfortable and we were promptly seated. It was about 4:30. We "lucked out" with CT Restaurant Week. There were a lot of great sounding choices both on the regular menu and RW. I asked for "brewed ice tea" and was informed "We have Arizona Tea", My friend and I ordered coffee. We asked if the Triple Creme Cheese was partly goat cheese, as neither of us care for it. After asking twice, we received the "final answer." We both took advantage of the RW special and had a delicious 3 course meal. I was able to substitute sweet potato fries and cheddar for my burger instead of triple creme cheese. I had to ask for the fries again when my burger arrived with regular fries. The coleslaw was VERY oniony..perhaps an overzealous chef! My pumpkin cheesecake arrived with the whipped cream on the side of the plate but was missing the side of caramel sauce. I did not bother asking for this. By that time we just wanted to get back on the road. When the bill came, however at the top was 4 coffees $ 8.00. I said "We didn't have 4 coffees!" The waiter replied, that was for the refills. Never in my life have I ever had such expensive coffee! We also noticed that all the other waitstaff explained the "farm to table concept', which our waiter did not. I would return when going to the Hartford area again, but will stick with water. I agree with Kara regarding the inexperienced wait-staff. The food was good, and hopefully upon returning to the are next October, service will be more polished.

1  Thank Kathleen C

Reviewed 14 October 2012

while the food is good, except for the dry rolls, the alcohol is ridiculous, they dont have brand names like grey goose, makers mark etc. They give you some lame speech about local brands tasting just like these, sounds great, except the alcohol is not good and the same price as quality liquor. So just have dinner and forget drinks. Also the cheese cake is not very good. and the seating is also a mistake on their part, they will find that customers prefer private booths.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Went on a Saturday night to try out the new Market Grille. When we arrived, we noticed the large open patio - a few propane heaters and an outdoor enclosed fire pit with a table overhang and surrounded by chairs - very inviting. Entering the building we were welcomed by the aroma of the fresh apples sitting on multiple racks on both sides of the entrance. There was a wait for a table but there were some empty seats at the bar which we took. Chatted with the bar staff - very informative. Menu changes seasonally, everything is American even down to all libations. They make their own infused liquors which I will try next time. Started off with the Pumpkin and Feta Quesadilla - delish! I had the Butternut Squash Ravioli my friend had the Market Burger. Both very good. I live in town so defintely will be one of my regular stops.

1  Thank irene b
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This restaurant opened a week and a half ago. My husband and I live nearby and decided to try it. We were seated immediately on a Sunday evening even though it was pretty busy. After looking at the menu, the waiter came over and asked if we had questions. My main question was about the jambalaya, which is in the "From the sea" section of the menu.

Our waiter, Nicholas, said, "It's delicious. If you try it and don't like it, I'll pay for it myself."

I said, "That's great, but is there any meat in it?"

He said, "Often people say it's missing andouille sausage,"

My reply, "I don't eat ANY meat at all. Only seafood."

"It's all 'from the sea.'"

"So no meat?"

"No."

"Is it made with chicken broth?"

He said he would check. He came back and said it was not. So I ordered it.

I also ordered the tomato-garlic soup, which was delicious. We were offered bread, which they plunked down without asking what kind of bread we wanted (the table next to us got a choice! we, apparently, weren't good enough to be asked for a choice).

Our main courses arrived and several bites in, I noticed ground chicken in my jambalaya. I recoiled in horror; I have not eaten any meat in many, many years (I occasionally do eat fish). I called the waiter over and explained this and his tone made out like it was my fault! "Oh... sorry. Well, I only asked about the chicken broth. Do you want something else?" I said, "Absolutely. Please bring me a menu." He said he would and also said he would "work on the bill" for us.

I ordered the pasta primavera, and asked for new cutlery. The food came out about 10 minutes later (my husband had already finished his meal). It tasted good, but the bok choi unfortunately had dirt between the leaves so tasted sandy - no one had washed it, apparently. I didn't say anything to the waiter, however, because I assumed I was getting a free meal. I never got new cutlery, and had to use my dessert fork - no knife. He also promised us more water - we never got it.

When the bill came, the waiter delivered it with apologies. But I saw it was $54 - for the two of us. I looked in disbelief - shouldn't my meal have been paid for? I looked up at him questioningly and our waiter said, "See, I took off the jambalaya." Before I could protest, he took off.

I think the kitchen staff is pretty good - but the waiter we had was inexperienced and made for a really poor dining experience. I might try it again in a few months if I can be assured that the waiters will actually know what they're doing.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

This new restaurant commands a fantastic view of the whole Connecticut River Valley, including the Hartford city skyline. There is a marvelous patio, that will surely be "the place to be" in warm weather. The interior is lovely, with a large, comfortable bar area. The menu has variety aplenty, including a long list of small items that can be shared. The food is excellent - hardly surprising, since the owner also owns the Mill on the River restaurant. The members of our group of five were all very pleased with their choices. We were there during there "soft opening", so service was not yet running smoothly, but I'm sure it is by now. Definitely a winner!