“Beautiful Room”

Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Our room was beautiful but the view was even better! Very comfortable beds Clean bathroom. Costly but be convenient for spending time in the casino

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I spent Labor day weekend at Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods Resort in Connecticut. Our room cost over $500 per night, a little high end for us, but we figured we would splurge and have a great time. Since we requested the non smoking floor, we were surprised when our room stunk like cigarette smoke. When we mentioned it to the hotel, the staff informed us that the hotel was sold out and we couldn't switch into a better smelling room. Then, as we unpacked we heard every detail of the conversation going on in our neighbors's room, I honestly thought someone came into our room, but it turns out it's just that the walls are paper thin. The view outside of our room was the lovely sight of the roof of the casino and the cooling and heating elements. Small amenities were missing that you would expect in a pricey room; magnified mirror, bathrobe, cotton swabs, full mini bar etc., just not offered. Although there is a very fancy bowling alley if you’re in the mood for a few strings!!

We did enjoy the spa treatments and the therapists were excellent, although the spa could use some sprucing up, frayed robes and towels, no products offered for after clean up. We found it incredulous that the “relaxation room” was directly across from the indoor pool that must have doubled for day care as it was loaded with rambunctious children having the time of their lives!! Relaxing it was not, expensive it was...

The restaurants were extraordinarily average, including having to send back a baked potato in Cedar's Steakhouse as evidently they forgot to cook it. After we checked out, we checked our luggage with the bellman and gambled a little bit more. We had a terrific time at the blackjack table and roulette wheel, although by the time we left on Sunday afternoon the lowest blackjack bet was $25, a little too rich for our blood.

All in All we had a good time but very overpriced – not heading back soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyingfingers1
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I just got back from Foxwoods yesterday. We stayed here for 2 nights. We were in a renovated room & it was very nice & modern. The walls were a little thin so we heard some things. The bathroom was okay, but when the bowl flushed you would think that you're going to be sucked in. It couldn't be any louder!! There were 2 sinks....1 in the bathroom & 1 outside, which I liked. The only thing was that I did find a hair in the tub before I used it, & there was some hair on the wall in the bathroom. It gagged me a bit, but other than that, the room was fine. It had a refrigerator which we liked. There was only 1 elevator & our room was a bit of a walk. The staff at the front desk were very nice, & basically everyone was very cordial to us. I think it was a bit expensive for during the week. Overall, it's a very nice place, & we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Stayed at the Great Cedar Hotel @ Foxwoods on Friday, August 8/19 for one night.

Arrived around 3:30PM and was checked in right away to room 704. First thing is the walk to the room from the elevators is 3-4 minutes (literally)....the longest hotel hallway I've ever seen...but it was fine, just strange to think someone would design the building with only one bank of elevators.

Room was recently renovated with very nice furniture, bed and bathroom. There was a vanity outside the bathroom as well as inside.

There was a nice comfy couch in the room. Upon further inspection we found a mysterous stain. We also found a stair on the orange accent pillow on the bed. Just wanted to give housekeeping a call so they could note it so we don't get charged (note: they make you initial upon checkin that you are responsible for any damages.) Called housekeeping and she said "OK"....That was it....How about "could we swap out the pillow or cushion?" or "would you like another room?"...NOPE....All I got was "OK..."

Bedding was a little rough. The sheets felt like paper.

The pool/spa area was very nice and relaxing....and free access...sweet.

The hotel in general is very sleek and I was happy. Casino was a blast. Comedy Show at Comix was hysterical. Drinks at Scorpion reminded me of a hip NYC bar not like I was in the middle of the woods in CT. Downside: drinks are not permitted to be served after 2AM and they start closing down around 1:30. Still had fun.

I can't wait to go back....I'd like to try the MGM Grand @ Foxwoods next time though.

Room Tip: Not Room 704 if they haven't changed the sofa cushion or pillow yet.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rich F
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I make a yearly trip to Foxwoods with my fiance and we have previously stayed at the MGM Grand which is wonderful. This year we booked a little late and could only stay at the Great Cedar. I was a bit nervous, because I've read from some other reviewers that the check in and accommodations at Great Cedar are sub-par, but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived and immediately handed keys. The free valet parking is a very nice touch-no walking in from the garage, and the Cedar is connected to the rest of the complex, so we simply walked from our room to dinner. Our room came with an awesome bay window with a window seat that could be closed off by a curtain, which I was also very impressed with. Just outside the bathroom was a second sink with a mirror and outlet, which was perfect for two people getting ready. The price was VERY high, however, because we booked so late (a week before our trip). Do book early for a better deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I went to Foxwoods for an overnight and stayed at the Great Cedar Hotel. This was not our first visit to the Great Cedar Hotel and we are always pleased with the accommodations at Foxwoods whether it be the Pequot Tower, MGMGrand @ Foxwoods or the Great Cedar Hotel. This time around we stayed in one of the rooms at the Great Cedar Hotel (7th floor) whichare being updated with new carpets, furniture, headboards, curtains, etc. The the hallway was "alive" with the new colorful carpet, the room was warm and welcoming. While I ventured to the casino (slots), my husband went to the pool, hot tub and sauna (and, he loved it. He mentioned how well kept the pool facilities are kept). We are casual diners and eat either at the Festival Buffet,The lounge within Cedars Restaurant or, believe it or not, Fuddruckers (some exotic burgers). No matter what your food preferences, there are a variety of restaurants and you should be able to fine one to fit your taste and wallet. We we haven't had a bad experience yet.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank tucsonorbust
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We booked two adjoining rooms in the Great Cedar Hotel. We decided to self park our car and did not run into any problems. Check in was also smooth. The rooms were fairly large with a door between the two rooms. The room had 2 double beds and each was tidy. The TV in the room was small and not much bigger than my computer screen at home. We were not going to be spending much time in the room anyways. The group I was with went and took part in a number of activities while, I booked a spa package in the Norwich Spa at Foxwoods (This was my first time at the Spa). The package came with a 50 minute Swedish massage, 25 minute express facial and a manicure or pedicure. Upon arrival at the Spa in the Pequot Tower the receptionist was friendly. She was unable to find my appointment in the computer and after about 10 minutes of searching realized that the person that had booked originally booked me had booked me for the wrong date. Luckily, the receptionist was able to move some schedules around to accommodate me and I was able to complete my package with no problems. I spent sometime by the indoor pool prior to the appointments. The pool closed early that day due to an event. The normal hours of the pool is from 8AM to 8PM. The pool area was small and quite loud from all the kids running around and screaming. There was a bar by the pool area for drinks. I spent about half an hour there before it was time for my facial. The lady that did my facial was very professional and excellent. She explained what she was going to do and my face felt amazing after the treatment. I returned to the waiting area of the Salon after my facial was done and shortly there after I was heading to my next appointment. My manicure went smoothly. I then headed back towards the locker room where I met with the receptionist and she directed me to the massage area. The massage was phenomenal. The massage therapist was fantastic and very friendly. I would definitely return to the spa again. After the appointment, I ended up meeting with the group again and had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. It was packed but we were able to get a table fairly quickly around 8:00PM. The place was pretty packed due to a number of various groups celebrating for different occasions (Birthday, Bachelor, Bachelor Parties). Dinner was good and the waitress was great. Food and drinks were a little more expensive but normal but that is expected given the location we were in. After dinner the group went back up to the rooms to get changed to head to the bowling alley and eventually the Scorpion Bar. The bowling alley located downstairs in the Pequot Towers and we had a blast. The bowling alley was upscale and each lane had its own waitress service. The bowling alley was also packed but overall the atmosphere was fun. We next headed to the Scorpion Bar where there was a line to get in. The bar had GoGo dancers in the evening. This place seemed to be the hot spot in the evening. The club was jammed packed. We danced and had a great time. Overall we would highly recommend going back to Foxwoods. There are still a number of places we have not had a chance to visit yet.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trvlchic5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!