“Just ok”

Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have stayed at other hotels on this property and were a bit disappointed here, rooms on the small size with full sized beds, the rooms could have also used a bit more cleaning...room service was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a Friday night, and had a decent but not great experience. The room was good, but we happened to get a room that was at the end of a very, very long hallway, very far from any elevators whatsoever. The bathroom was okay, but the shower mechanism was extremely confusing and not particularly reliable.

The actual stay was great, since I play poker (and Foxwoods has a very large poker room) and my wife enjoyed relaxing, watching me play, and various other activities.

Overall, I would recommend against Great Cedar except insofar as it's definitely the cheaper of the hotels in Foxwoods proper.

Room Tip: Ask not to be placed at the end of a long hallway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The only hotel that offers windows that open plus a beautiful view...wow..plus renovated rooms in pleasing colors...plus tub & shower....check it out. This is in the middle of restaurants, casinos, and fox theater nearby.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night in a king bed room. The bed was so comfortable it was like sleeping on a cloud. I loved the window seat alcove. Wish I had stayed longer so i could have settled in with a book. I liked that there is a second sink area between the room and bathroom. I am a light sleeper but didn't hear any outside noise. We had dinner at the Festival Buffet and it was excellent especially the fish, pasta and chocolate mousse cake.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Let me start by saying that I love the fact that Foxwoods is offering free rooms as part of their massive summer promo. If you are smart enough to take advantage of the free rooms, the free gifts and gamble only what you are prepared to lose, then this is a really great deal. This time around, Great Cedar was the only hotel with availability, other than MGM which I avoid due to a previous really bad experience, so I decided to try it out. Nice room, clean, very comfy beds, I love the cushy window seat and the windows that open!! View of the incoming drive so a little noisy with traffic, but worth the fresh air. Nice leather or vinyl chair also, satellite tv is a little wonky, strangely food channel only comes with Asian subtitles. Bath- tub is deep but extremely short, the other hotels have lovely soaking tubs. Minor differences, I wouldn't say no to another stay here, but it is not on the top of my list. One weird thing, around 7 when I was leaving my room, a member of the maintenance staff was yelling in the hallway at the top of his lungs at a member of the housekeeping staff in the hallway. Yelling. Not sure what the issue was, he stopped when he saw me and greeted me. I hope his evening got better, and I hope her evening did not get worse.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Myself and my family went to the area to catch The Eagles at Mohegan Sun. The rates here were better, so we decided to stay at Foxwoods. Bad choice. We got to the hotel at about 3pm, and while checking in, we were told no rooms were ready. We waited 3 HOURS for a room to be ready. On top of that, the guest service was absolutely dreadful. They just didn't care,didn't offer any condolences, no apology, not even from the Front Desk manager, who just simply told me "We're going as fast as we can." Waiting until 6pm for a room was just unacceptable.
After waiting all that time, we finally got to the room and it was dreadful. The room reeked of cigarette smoke, and it was a non-smoking room. Hair on the sheets, water in the bathtub and tissue in the toilet. I called down to the front desk and they said it would be another hour to get another room. We just sucked it up and stayed.
I didn't spend much time in the room seeing as we spent most of our time at Mohegan Sun, all the time wishing I just bit the bullet and stayed there instead. I told the front desk again of my complaints and again, nothing was offered to me.
I highly suggest that if traveling to Foxwoods, try the MGM Grand or stay off property, seeing as this is the last time I stay at a Foxwoods property. Their guest service was just plain awful.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cityfolk2244
Reviewed 17 July 2013

For the July 4th holiday weekend, we stayed at Foxwood's Great Cedar Hotel. This is a hotel tower that is conveniently located in the heart of Foxwood's with access to everything. The elevator will bring you to the casino gaming floor and it is a short walk to all of its prime dining options, Bingo hall, comedy club, etc. Regardless of why you're at Foxwood's, this is a perfect option.

The rooms have recently been updated and are super clean and comfortable. The room size is perfect, the bed quality is excellent and the bathroom is good. We ordered room service twice (we were being lazy) and the food quality was excellent and service was on time.

If you're driving to Foxwood's, take advantage of the free valet service. Luggage service for check in and check out was speedy.

If you've never been to the casino, Foxwood's has multiple casinos with the latest slots and plenty of the standard table games. They are generous on comps, so be sure to use your player's card. You may apply your comp's to room charges, restaurants, shopping, etc. You also have options for smoking and non-smoking gaming areas. Drink service is realitively fast and attentive depending on how busy the casino is.

Overall, Foxwood's is a great place for those that are seeking nice hotel amenities, shopping, gambling, dining, and entertainment. This is a highly recommended property!

Room Tip: Ask for something close to an elevator - the hallways can be very long and may be difficult for thos...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
Bellissimo Grande Hotel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington

Been to Great Cedar Hotel at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!