“MGM Grand at Foxwoods - WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE”

The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We just got home from MGM Grand at Foxwoods. WE HAD THE MOST PERFECT STAY AND WE CANNOT WAIT TO RETURN!! I was concerned after reading all of the negative reviews and felt compelled to comment in regards to our stay at the Hotel.

The staff at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods: Very kind; courteous; helpful; went out of their way to make our stay extra special; (I read reviews about them being rude and we did not encounter that)

CHECK IN Lines at MGM Grand at Foxwoods: There were NONE; check in was easy; fast; simple; ... staff was very polite; ...

NOISE: I am very sensitive to noise... upon check in I requested a room away from the elevators and we were given one as far away as possible... we were not awakened at all by any noise... 22nd floor number 22133. PERFECT!!

CHECK OUT: again no lines - there are 3 options for checking out; front desk; express; or right in your room on the TV: that is what we chose... simple and fast! (no long lines at all) and when we did leave I took a look at the check in desk and there was 1 couple in line.

*We requested a late check out and we were able to check out at noon time which was nice.

Bathroom was enormous and spotless... phenomenal shower...

BED: the pillows and bed were VERY COMFORTABLE (some reviews said the pillows were very uncomfortable) ... and I am very picky and because of the pillow reviews I brought my own pillow and ended up using MGM's pillows instead!

ELEVATORS: there are 6 in total: we never waited more than 10 seconds for an elevator; never crowded... (some reviews said they waited a long time and then they would be full - we never encountered that at all...)

Other special things:

FREE WIFI

IN ROOM SAFE was LARGE ENOUGH to store my 15" LAPTOP and other items!! :)

MINI BAR: We read complains about people being charged... just don't touch it... its that simple... we brought our own snacks as we always do...

DUST: Yes the room was a tad dusty and they did admit they are trying to resolve it; it was no dustier than my home and I dust weekly... when I mentioned it they sent up staff and they thoroughly cleaned it again... (staff were exceptionally courteous and friendly)

TOWELS: asked for extra towels... no problem... just pick up the phone and ask for what you need and they are courteous and helpful...

I forgot to order my newspaper the evening before and called downstairs and within 4 minutes there was a knock on our door and there was my newspaper. (if you need anything, simply pick up one of the 3 phones in your room) there is even one in the HUGE bathroom!

ROOM ITSELF: 2 queen beds; exceptionally comfortable including the pillows; lovely view; individual thermostat; large HDTV with premium channels; huge closet and dresser for your clothes; ... very very nice room!!

IF something is NOT to your satisfaction, please give MGM Grand at Foxwoods the opportunity to fix whatever is wrong....

Sue Evarts, Concierge desk could NOT have been more helpful. She was so kind to us; very helpful for many things including making reservations and ensuring our stay was a positive one; whatever you need; questions; anything; simply stop by the concierge desk next to the elevators and they will be happy to assist you with anything to ensure your stay is a positive one.

OUR ANNIVERSARY: When I mentioned to Sue that it was our 27th wedding anniversary we returned to our room to a surprise tray of fresh chocolate dipped strawberries and a delicious chocolate cake... (we have stayed many places and when we tell them its our anniversary they say - oh thats nice...) that was very special; and a nice card from The MGM Grand at Foxwoods:

BUGS; No!! there was a review that there were bed bugs and I can assure you that I searched the room thoroughly when we entered and the room was spotless; the mattress was so comfortable; clean new; white; .... no bed bugs!

I just HAD to write because I was honestly considering cancelling our reservation given all of the negative reviews we read. And we could NOT have had a nicer stay if we tried!!!

VALET PARKING: Easy, convenient, fast, courteous, they said it would be a 10 minute wait to get our car and we had it in 6 minutes. We were even handed 2 bottles of water for the ride home.

I could go on and on as you can see. I cannot wait to go back again - from start to finish PERFCT!!!. When you do go, if you find anything not to your satisfaction, just contact the concierge or the front desk and I can assure you they WILL make it right.

PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE ALL OF THOSE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!! Believe me I am not easy to please LOL and I had the BEST TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again to MGM Grand and to Sue Evarts for making our anniversary stay PERFECT and very memorable! We did NOT feel like a number at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods. We were treated very special and were given personalized excellent service by literally every employee we encountered. Though everyone was so kind, Sue Evarts at the concierge desk was just exceptional!!

Thanks again!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzieq1333
Write a ReviewReviews (1,480)

Reviewed 6 March 2011

There is a $7.50 a day resort fee at MGM Grand, Great Cedar Hotel and Grand Pequot Hotels added on to your bill. At Great Cedar and Grand Pequot, this fee gives you access to the fitness center, indoor pool and jacuzzi. However, at the MGM Grand, it only gives you access to the Fitness Center for $7.50 day. If you want to use the indoor pool and jacuzzi, you'll have to pay another $15.00 a day. I asked the staff about this disparity from the other two properties within Foxwoods and they offered no apologies but justified it by saying MGM Grand also includes use of the "outdoor" pool during the summer months. Hello--this is Connecticut--that equates to only 4 months (if lucky) to use the outdoor pool. What about the other 8 months? I do agree with the other comments below that MGM Grand needs to improve their customer service skills tremendously. I asked management if they would at least "consider" changing this policy to make it comparable to the other Foxwood Hotels. They basically told me "no" because people get the outdoor swimming pool 4 months out of the year and the other 8 months--oh well. I told them that less amenities for more money would drive me and my large party to the competing hotels at Foxwood in the future. They told me they understood but it is the way it is. So if you want less amenities for more money, stay at MGM Grand; otherwise, I'd highly recommend you look into Pequot and Great Cedar hotels first.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ladygibbons
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We stayed a holiday weekend for a 60th birthday party and though the line at check-in at check-in time was long, someone came out with water to give arriving guests, which we thought was a nice gesture. The line moved quickly due to plenty of courteous staff to assist. Nice shuttle service to Foxwoods. I would definately stay again; lovely experience!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Booked a Director's Suite from the hotel's website. The suite was roomy and well appointed. The living area was small but comfortable and the bathroom and bedrooms were a good size. The bathroom consists of three parts - a large shower/jacuzzi tub area, double sink and separate room for the toilet. The king size bed was very comfortable. We appreciated that there was complimentary wi-fi. The only downside is that when we asked to use the pool we were told that it is an extra $15 charge per person and you have to go through the hotel spa to access it. Overall, it was a perfect one night stay. I highly recommend the restaurant in the hotel, Alta Strada.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2011

The weather forcast was for a major snowstorm..again..and we were due to be at Foxwoods for a convention. Originally booked for Wednesday, at the convention rate of $150, we called in advance of the weather and requested a room for the night before and because we had a Players Card we were able to get a room for Tuesday at $59. So, we grabbed it and were able to get in ahead of the storm. Based on the rates we paid...midweek....we were veery happy with the room and service. Our room was on the 21st floor...great view. The amenities in the room are a flat screen TV, wireless internet, a docking station for your IPod, fantastic shower, coffee and tea in the room, the usual toiletries, nice towels, and of course the other facilities on site.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Stayed for two nights for a conference in January, and the hotel is just fine. My room on the 24th floor had a view of the hills – pretty bleak in the snow but I imagine it’s a spectacular view in the summertime. I had a room with 2 queens, and the beds were fine – nothing special – though the pillows were very hard. The bathroom was nice and large with a huge shower but no tub. I wondered at first if I was in a handicap access room but nothing else was designed that way. The room had a flat screen TV, iPod dock, and free internet access. If you’re there to gamble, access to the casino is literally right down the elevator. Everything downstairs smells of cigarette smoke but fortunately had no issues with cigarette smells in my room. I took a look at the indoor pool and pretty well-equipped gym but didn’t end up using them – took a long walk to the other side of the Foxwoods complex instead. The meeting facility is large and worked well for our group. We had group sessions in a large room at the conference center, and breakout sessions upstairs in smaller rooms, which were kind of hard to find. We had an event at the “High Rollers” bowling alley, which is probably the swankiest bowling alley I’ve ever seen – very fun – and ate a meal at the steakhouse in the next building over, which was very good. I didn’t have the issues with cleanliness that others had, and I’m pretty picky on that front.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My husband and I just got back from the Foxwoods MGM abut 2 hours ago for his business trip. On the way there I was a bit nervous by all the negative reviews and was expecting diry rooms, rude staff and other negative things I have read and there are a lot of negative reviews. First, the check in line was long, but within 10 minutes they added 4 more people to help and the line went fast. We upgraded to a suite since I wasn't going to the meetings and didn't want to be in a small room. The room was sooo big and most important, very clean. I also am a person that brings my Lysol wipes and wipes down everything!! I did notice some dust, but, more important, the bathroom was very clean! The view on the 15th floor was the best and may sound silly, but they had the best bathroom I ever saw with a rain water shower head I think its called, and large tub.
I do know that there are times I have encountered rude staff but in the 2 and 1/2 days we were there, everyone was super nice and went out of their way to be helpful.
There were lots of negative reviews about very smokey casino, maybe because we were there during the week, it wasn't smokey at all, and I hate smoke! There was another complaint about the elevators that they were too small for everyone, but, there were 8 elevators! I have learned to read reviews but dont take them seriously until you are there. I do agree that some negative are there for good reasons and bad stuff does happen.
My WORSE experience was going to the business center since I do not own a laptop. I almost screamed when I was told the charge was $10.00 to use the computer for 10 minutes and then 50 cents for every minute!!! But later found out that there is an Apple computer store and lets guests of the MGM use their computer for personal use.
Saw more complaints about the long (15 min) walk to all the casinos, we enjoyed the walk! There was shops to look at on the way and places to sit and to have coffee and a snack. Just thought I would give my review for people getting nervous about all the negative reviews.
We had a good experience and thought I should tell people reading all the reviews. I will add that we were only there for busines, even though it was nice, we wouldnt drive the 3 hours just too look around and eat, we do not gamble at all. We like Atlantic City better and go in the spring time because you can walk around outside and look at the ocean and walk to many hotels to look around.
One more thing, also read that its a noisy hotel at night, yes it was! Last night at midnight heard people talking loud for about 2 minutes in hallway and you can loudly hear the door closing, BUT< that has happend to us in almost every hotel we have been to!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
#3 of 4 in Mashantucket
Two Trees Inn
Two Trees Inn
#4 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!