“How Huge is Huge enough?”

The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Reviewed 17 August 2014

On our way back from Boston to NY we spent the night at Fox Tower resort and casino near New London CT. It is one of several hotels on the property, and on Monday in August, at least, the casino operates only one armed bandits while the poker room and the table games are a good distance from the Hotel.
The men's section of the Spa is poorly manned and the "wet rooms" ( showers, jacuzzy, steam etc.) are black with mold, all over the floor. it was a disgrace.
The staff, such as there was one, was hardly there and when I informed him of the mold, it seemed to me, he had never seen it.
While it was built to be commodious and extra-ordinary, it was so poorly administered I had to stop myself from giving the hotel a negative score ...on those grounds alone.
The rooms are gorgeous, well appointed and the bathrooms very opulent, with separate shower and hot tub. All in all, if I had avoided the Spa and overlooked the fact that I had to walk half way to New York to have dinner ( there is a jitney service between the hotel that runs every ten minutes) the hotel itself was quite nice.

Room Tip: High floor, pool view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is the MGM Grand at Foxwoods that was re-branded The Fox Tower and decorated to fit in with the motif of the other two towers. We stayed as part of a stay and play golf package so the room had to accommodate four sweaty golfers. Check in was very fast after having gone to another tower by accident. They are all far apart so make sure you know where you are going. Room was clean with nothing broken or out of place. I usually don't count this as part of a great stay but the shower head and volume was the best I have ever experienced. And there is a telephone in the bathroom. Who knew? We had plenty of towels and a great view of the woods and the pool below. Casino and all other fun stuff just an elevator ride away. Finding your way back to elevators can be confusing until you understand the layout of the complex. Checkout is at eleven which we took advantage of to have breakfast and play some table games before leaving.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Foxwoods is actually a pretty cool resort and I enjoyed my visit, but the Fox Tower isn't impressive. The decor of the hotel is nice and cool but generic. Our room looked relatively new on the inside. The windows and view over the woods were great. I liked the lighting, lots of lamps with outlets on the bases. The bathroom is more luxurious than the rest of the room, with a nice rain shower and fancy sink and vanity, and mirrors that don't fog. It's really a one person at a time bathroom, though, and you had to be careful not to splash water out of the sink and the shower got a lot of water on the floor. The room itself could be a little more spacious, and the TV could be larger. Location-wise the Fox Tower is a little further from the main casino and the bulk of the restaurants and shopping than the other two hotels at the resort, but there are still plenty of good dining choices.

We had a couple of unpleasant surprises, though they were minor. 1. We booked an online special rate and specified three guests, but they gave us a king room with no pullout. We made due. 2. The check-in time was 5pm, which is the latest I've ever had. 3. The pool at the hotel was out of commission for the night, and the other pool we were entitled to use was at least a half mile walk through the casino and shopping area which would be awkward in swim wear, or you could take an every 20 minute shuttle. We were hoping to hit the hot tub for a bit before dinner, that plan went out the window.

The pluses: The staff were friendly and efficient. We called the hotel operator a few times to get info about restaurants and the like, and they were quick, clear, and helpful. Checkout was painless. The toiletries in the bathroom were high quality. I didn't hear other guests, in the hall or in nearby rooms.

Overall, the hotel was acceptable, but at the price point they are asking I would not stay there again. I would definitely go to the Foxwoods resort again, but stay at another hotel at the resort or possibly even an off-site hotel.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

check in was great and easy..no wait...a little difficult to navigate where the elevators were, but found them. hallway smells like smoke...and that gross antiseptic that they use to cover it up. i was a little annoyed that they charge an extra $12.95 per person per night...resort fee...its ridiculous. the room was lovely, spacious, great bathroom. we had a great view. bed comfy and clean. saw the maintenance staff in am, they were lovely. just really wasnt wowed. and thought it was kind of expensive or a casino...not in vegas or ac. it was fine, i would go back, but wasnt wowed. and some of the clientele was a little less than desireable, but i guess thats what you get at a casino.

1  Thank shmemmie
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We came down so my husband could play poker while I worked from the hotel room. Our hotel room looked nice at first glance but on further inspection we could see it was in need of some cleaning and maintenance. The towel bar and soap holder were broken in the shower and the turn on valve for the shower was loose from the wall. Room was quite dusty and surfaces like ledges and furniture tops needed to be wiped down to remove old dirt and marks. The beds are on a "platform" they are incredibly loud and squeaky so, if you have a partner who tosses and turns be prepared for the noise. Internet connection was also a problem as it would work for a few minutes and then die out to no connection and then return. Never more then two bars of reception in the room. It didn't matter where our lap top or phones were placed in the room we constantly lost reception....but when we went out into the hall or casino the connection was great....full bars. Called the front desk for help with this matter as I needed a connection to do some work from my room and their solution was to give me the 1-800 number for the third party business that provides the connection to the hotel. Front desk told me they never have this complaint, but they also didn't offer me the chance to try a different room to see if the connection was better. So I think it is safe to assume that internet connection in the rooms is a hotel wide problem. Warning for poker players.... this is a very long walk to the poker room as there is no way to "cut through" the casinos as it appears you can with a quick glance at the map. The casinos are on different levels so I suggest very carefully checking out the property map and choosing a closer hotel. On the plus side I had a massage and my therapist was wonderful and very professional and my husband enjoyed the poker room. I would still recommend staying at this hotel but be prepared for a 3 star not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Towel shower holder is broken,soap holder is on a big slant that you cant even keep your soap bar on it,toilet feels like its coming out of wall when flush, if your a poker player this is a very long walk to the poker room.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

So disappointed in the Fox Tower as the last time we stayed there is was the MGM. Upon arrival we pulled up to the valet area and not one of the valet parkers standing around opened our doors or welcomed us. They finally came over to the car when we started to take the luggage out of the car. Check in the front desk person was not informed about events going on around the hotel and kept having to tell us she would ask someone. Very poor training. We reserved a "suite" because my husband had to attend a convention at the hotel and the alternative rooms in Foxwoods were too far for him to walk thus we splurged. Room was disappointing. Furniture was dated, stained and we didn't understand the three brown chairs and two white dirty cube things in the living room. This was not a suite to the standards we are used to it was nothing more than a large dated hotel room. Pool area was adequate but obviously not power washed each day the way it would be at a fine hotel. Dead bushes greeted you when you left the hotel to head to the pool area. Positive note was the pool service people and hotel chambermaid. Will not return anytime soon.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a suite not worth the extra charge. Also be aware of facility fee tacked onto...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank winomom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
#1 of 5 in North Stonington
Two Trees Inn
Two Trees Inn
#4 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to The Fox Tower at Foxwoods? Share your experiences!