“a good choice....”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Pennsylvania
“a good choice....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

This Hawthorne Suites does not have many frills, but it does the basics quite well. My room was quiet, with a comfortable queen bed, kitchenette, and other listed amenities. The ice maker worked! Front desk staff were uniformly friendly and helpful through the three day stay. A three day stay qualified for a great rate, making this place a terrific bargain. Would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the parking lot (facing east) are likely to be quieter than the rooms facing Main...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
ATLANTA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

The hotel over all was very nice, and the desk clerk was really nice and pointed out I would have saved money book at your website and not hotels.com!
I do have to say the dog above our room was very loud, and we were told we could move but I was only staying 2 nights. Dogs should always be placed on the fist floor!!!!
Last the bathroom was HUGE, but there was not one inch of counter surface to put anything! A hotel first for me!

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Sabrina P, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very glad that you enjoyed the large size of our rooms and am ecstatic that your interactions with our staff were so pleasant. Early next year room renovations are scheduled to begin and all bathrooms will be receiving new vanities and mirrors, which should definitely provide for much more counter space. In addition, rooms will be receiving new granite kitchen counter-tops, bedding packages and 32” Flat Panel HD-TV’s. All of the public areas will also be receiving renovations.

I do apologize for any inconvenience the other guests pet may have caused you during your stay. We here at the hotel will do our best to ensure that all guests with dogs are placed on the 1st floor near exits in order to reduce any excess interaction or disturbances to other guests.

Thank you for staying with us and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Hawthorn Suites Management
GREELEY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Very nice hotel and very pleasant staff. The only problem was I was not advised that you only received housekeeping if you stayed for 5 days.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

a pleasant surprise clean, comfortable, great staff and location was excellent, would stay again in the future.

Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and I were traveling to RI and needed a cheap place to stay on the way. We went online and this was the second cheapest in a 100 mile radius. The guy at check in was great and the rooms were quite a surprise. The cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom were a little worn out, but that is a very minor thing. New floors, comfy bed, nice fake leather recliner. I would have expected to pay double or more then what I did for this place. There were many other amenities that I had to skip this visit such as an exercise room and DVD movie library. I recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

My husband and I checked in for the weekend after I received an email offer from Wyndham. The woman at the front desk was very nice and welcoming. She was so pleasant I couldn't write a bad review even if I wanted to! But seriously, we got a room on the first floor which was fine with me. Remember that this is a pet friendly hotel so my neighbor next door must have had a small dog because as soon as we walked in the adjacent room he started barking. Now the hotel has been renovated and is still undergoing some work so I guess I thought some soundproofing would be prudent in a pet friendly but I was wrong. Fortunately for me I have a small dog at home who is a barker so I wasn't annoyed. The room was clean with no unwanted surprises. The bathroom was clean and well lit but it could use some more hooks. There is only one hook in the bathroom which I hung my toiletry bag on so I had to do some maneuvering to find a spot for my wet towel. I usually like to keep my used towels away from the unused ones but hey it's a small point. The room has a full kitchen which is nice especially for longer stays. As I said, overall I think it was a reasonable accommodation but they might want to order some new comforters, ours was a little threadworn-again a cosmetic issue but as I said they are still renovating so...

• Stayed August 2012
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I have been staying at this hotel since August 5th, and initially found the room upon check-in to be very clean and staff accommodating. However, as my stay progressed, my experience with customer care and hospitality services declined.

On the day of check-in I nearly tripped on a buckled rug on the way in the front door as a staff member had just gone out transporting items on a cart but neglected to straighten it behind her before exiting. When I mentioned the health hazard to the female clerk on duty, at first she was dumbfounded chuckling you don't look hurt. I thought you said you fell. I re-iterated that I'd almost fallen and that someone should straighten the rug out before a serious accident occurs. To which she apologized and came from behind the desk to straighten the rug herself. I was thinking to myself, that's odd, the clerk seemed unphased. I would think customer safety should be of paramount concern for all staff, but not so. Clerk was unphased and laughed off the incident.

My first night was not good as I did not sleep at all due to the sheets. Though appearing clean, felt itchy causing me to break out in sporatic hives. Not sure if the room had been previously occupied by a pet who'd left fleas behind, or whether I was suffering from an allergic reaction to the hotel's laundry cleaning agent. In any event, I contacted the front desk in the morning to explain the situation and request a change in bed linens. To which the clerk obliged sending someone up from housekeeping to change the bed sheets, I thanked the maid and she left.

Several hours later on this same day, I left the hotel for a few hours in the afternoon only to return to find my card key had failed to open the door. Perplexed, I headed down to the front desk (loaded down w/ shopping bags) to find the front desk unattended, there were two gentlemen engaged in conversation seated behind the partition behind the desk. I guess the rustling of the bags I was carrying caused one of the two to peer out from behind the partition prompting one of the two to speak at me from said distance about what I wanted. As soon as I mentioned the card key not working, one of the gentlemen (I assume the mgr on duty) sprung up appearing from behind the partition apologizing for the mishap and requesting the other gentlemen go collect the clerk who was missing from the front desk as per his words, as "he is the only one able to operate this thing" meaning the microcomputer. "Just sit tight he will be here shortly."

After a few minutes, the gentlemen returned with the clerk to desk where the clerk immediately asked for my card as he resumed answering the phones. All the while I waited, at no point did the clerk apologize for the inconvenience, or offer up any explanation as to what caused the mishap. However; instead, it was the hotel manager who apologized profusely, and was kind enough to assist with my bags as he escorted me to my room to ensure the card worked. I attempted asking the manager in the elevator how the card could have been deactivated in the first place given I had just checked in the night before, to which the manager had no explanation.

Cut to August 7th, several days into my stay, light duty service is no where to be found! The garbage under the kitchen sink is overflowing, my bed has not been made, and I am out of clean towels. At the same time I'm hearing someone from housekeeping vacuuming their way down the corridor past my room. So I call the front desk to inquire if they will be sending someone to empty the garbage and replenish towels. Unfortunately, the person on the other end, was the same desk clerk who was unapologetic about the card key mishap, and sounded less than enthusiastic about me calling this time around. This clerk placed me on hold repeatedly as I am speaking to him, and begins relaying my conversation to the housekeeping supervisor who was near by, only to pick up the line again to repeat her responses back to me. Needless to say, I am annoyed at this point as the clerk adds insult to injury by telling that the housekeeping supervisor said that should leave my garbage outside the room and someone will pick it up. To which I replied to the clerk, the level of service is unacceptable and immediately request to know the supervisor's full name, and to also be transferred directly. The desk clerk sternly said " I just told you, I'm trying to transfer her to you, you will hold!" as he abruptly transfers the line to be followed by silence.

Once connected to the housekeeping supervisor, before I can re-iterate my dissatisfaction, I am met with the same indignant response exhibited by the desk clerk. "maam, we don't have light duty service here yet. It doesn't start for two weeks. She then inquired on the date I checked in as though looking to locate details in her system and continues, I'm sorry all staff is busy now. You checked in Sunday right, so your room won't be cleaned for another 5 days. That's our policy, we only clean non-business rooms every 5 days."

I respond that the level of service is deplorable and not up to my standards and that her request to have me carry my own dirty towels to the front desk, and empty my own garbage is unacceptable. The supervisor says "I will come up and empty the garbage myself for you, but I don't have anyone to send from my team. I told her I appreciated her efforts to rectify, but that I would still file a complaint on my experience as I was not happy with the level of service and would think twice about booking this hotel again.

The supervisor did come up and empty the garbage as promised, her intention was to stop there at collecting the garbage and leave. So I inquire as she is exiting, what about my bed? Am I expected to make my own bed here too? To which she replied, maam we don't do this normally before 5 days, but I will do it for you today.

What?! Are you kidding me? I am thoroughly disgusted with myself for booking this hotel. Since when is making one's own bed at a hotel not included in the purchase? Since when is it the guests responsibility to make their own beds or empty their own garbage?

I don't believe my requests for alternate day, light duty service, (i.e., bed making, garbage disposal, light vacuum, towel replenishment) are unreasonable requests when I have paid fully for a 4 day 3 night extended stay, and led to believe these services are included in the price only to be shown differently upon check in.
Furthermore, no where is it written in lobby, nor in the booking contract does it state where guests should expect to experience limitations in general housekeeping services during occupation. There was no loss of power or natural disaster so why has this hotel been allowed to treat leisure guests in this way.

I have worked in the travel industry for a major financial company for many years, and have stayed in many hotels for both work and leisure ranging in standard anywhere from 2 -5 stars.
However, I have to say, this has been the worst lodging experience to date. How in the world do you expect to keep guests coming back to this hotel when the quality of customer care, and hospitality services are so poor!

Management, are you listening... . Some of the staff at this hotel (namely management) need to be re-evaluated and perhaps immediately shown the door as they have no business working in hospitality, let alone customer service.

Safe yourself a headache. Guests deserve better than what this hotel offers.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel if you prefer light duty service on extended stays as you will be sorely d...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Sabrina P, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I do apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay. Your health, safety and satisfaction are our top priority and there is no excuse for a buckled rug. This issue has been addressed with all of the staff and we will continue to do our best to quickly fix any issues like that throughout the entire hotel.

As we are an extended stay property it is policy that housekeeping is only provided once a week (7-day week), for all rooms, business or leisure. We want it to feel less like checking in, and more like moving in; therefore we don’t wish to disturb guests on a daily basis.

We have however recently been changed to a Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham and have implemented a 5-day housekeeping regiment in order to better satisfy guest needs. We are also implementing a daily light-touch service which will be inclusive of making the bed, taking out the garbage and freshening bathroom towels; this should be implemented by the years end.

Our policy is “Count on Me”, we will do anything and everything to ensure all guests are respected, all issues are treated with utmost responsiveness and that every experience is seen as a great one.

Should you ever be in the area I would welcome you to stay with us again; our new implementations are sure to meet your needs.

Hawthorn Suites Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden
Quality Inn & Suites Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden? Share your experiences!