“Good place to stay”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Maryland
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My experiences were all good! We arranged for late check-in, and they were waiting for us at the desk. We were in within minutes. The room (king w/sofa) was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The hotel was quiet. We are also SPG members. I asked if we had any perks (like free breakfast) and they gave us free coupons. The food wasn't that great, but the waitress so so nice, she more than made up for it! :) You can't go wrong with the danish, bagel, yogurt, fruit & stuff at the buffet...I don't recommend ordering an actual breakfast from whoever cooks it (don't know if this was Yogi's or not, but I read some of these other reviews so it probably was). I really liked this hotel and would go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Philippines
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Nice front desk staff that was ready with the keys. I love that.

Bar closes at 10pm? ? ?

Room is big but a/c-heat unit so loud I couldn't sleep. Shower nice and hot. Bed very comfy, good TV size/channels. Free wireless was a plus.

All in all I will look for another hotel next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Stopped here on the way home from Newport. I always pick up those hotel discount booklets at rest stops and this place had a $69.00 coupon rate. We figured for 69 bucks, how bad could it be?

I am a *Wood SPG Platinum member, but I really wasn't recognized as such. Granted I didn't have an advance reservation, but I gave them my card upon check in. We were assigned an accessible room with 2 beds on the 2nd floor.

At first glance, the room wasn't bad. But, the heat/AC really didn't work correctly. It never cycled-ran full blast all the time. And it's VERY noisy. The bathroom was also very cold. Not very clean...I ran water to take a shower and a clump of hair floated off the drain cover.

The TV is not big or flat screened...and has minimal channels. Also, the remote didn't work, so I had to call for another.

They replaced the faucet some time ago, but you can still see an outline of the old one on the sink! You mean to tell me there's no way to clean the lines off?? There is...it would be called elbow grease! Also, there was dried up cleaner all over the tub, and hairs in the corners. Plus, the water wasn't very hot and wouldn't drain. We moved to another room to use the shower. Again, this room was not very clean. Hairs all over, and all sorts of glitter on the rug. The heat didn't work here either, but it was a different type of unit....at least it was quieter!

We did get dinner at Yogi's Bar & Grill. Believe it or not, the food wasn't bad. Mom had a crab cake sandwich and (cold) mashed potatoes [which, upon calling, were promptly replaced---I had gone down and gotten take out!)] I had a BBQ pork sandwich that was tasty. Sandwich prices are between 7.95 and 10 bucks..so not bad!

I went to the store and got some breakfast stuff as breakfast was pricey! Room service was also outrageous! They do provide coffee, decaf and hot water in the lobby near the restaurant so that was good.

We needed a fridge...this was provided, after 45 minutes and 2 phone calls! At a cahrge of $10! That was a little nuts!

My issue with the staff was that they were nice, but kind of nonresponsive. We made several simple requests (fridge, new remote, blanket) and I had to call two or 3 times over an hour for these things. I would think that a Starwood-brand property would be more attentive, especially to high level members of their loyalty program-regardless of the rate I am paying! (Hey, it was REALLY slow!)

Upon checkout, the supervisor did make an adjustment to the bill and will credit me with extra points. It wasn't bad for $69 bucks, but it does need some TLC, preventative maintenence, staff training with regard to taking action, and better cleaning. The bed was comfy at least, but some of the linens are stained.

All in all, if you can get a cheap rate and just need to crash for a night, it is better than some. However, I will look elsewhere in the future as I was NOT impressed. Not off to a good start with Starwood this year!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cruisermeg
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Hotel was great, from check in to check out. One of our phones was not working in the room and we wanted to call room service. They sent up a guy in less than 10 minutes even though it wasn't a big deal. He was determined to fix the phone, but because we said we didn't care too much about it, he said he would fix it the next day as we only stayed one night. He was friendly and seemed to care about the problem, which are good qualities, although he did smell strongly of smoke.

The only bad experience of the hotel was ordering room service from Yogi's, which is attached to the hotel. Do not eat at Yogi's. The food was horrible. All three of us had bad experiences. The food was cold, tasteless, likely frozen, and basically just a big mess.

Other than the terrible food, the hotel was great. I would recommend, I don't know why there's so many bad reviews. Four Points are always great, especially the beds.

• Stayed February 2009
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as part of a weekend convention - we did not choose the hotel and were not responsible for making the travel arrangements. Based on other traveller's reviews, we were a bit worried, but we needn't have been. The hotel does appear to have been recently renovated. The lobby looked very inviting and there is a restaurant/bar attached to the hotel. The rooms were pleasantly decorated in mostly neutral colors. All I would say is that the bathroom's renovation, if it was ever done, was slightly less than perfect -it appeared that they might have cut some corners on the bathrooms as the floor tiles were badly chipped in some areas. Also, that was the first time in a long time that I have seen acoustic tiles in a bathroom, and the ones near the shower head were in need of replacement. But - it wasn't GROSS, it was just a bit worn looking. The shower itself was pleasant and the water was always hot when needed. The hotel supplies hair dryers in the bathrooms. The beds were very comfortable - no complaints there.
The staff were all very pleasant and willing to accommodate us, and the food served to us all weekend was very good. Room services is available but we did not use it. The air conditioning in the room was adequate and not too noisy (even though it was November, it was needed as the bathrooms are not vented outside). We didn't use the pool or the workout room so we cannot comment on them.
The hotel is located in a research park/light industrial area not too far from the highway, and we did not have any trouble locating it. There are signs which clearly point out the direction of the hotel along the main road. Parking is self-parking and we did not feel that we were in an unsafe area.

• Liked — Great beds
  • Disliked — Bathroom needs a bit of work
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Worst 3 night stay I have ever experienced. This hotel is NOT newly renovated as touted on their website. Carpets in the hallway and room were very dirty and bathroom ceiling stained. Room looked very worn and tired generally. It is badly in need of renovating and updating. Only redeeming point was the bed which was reasonably comfortable. I will not be returning!

• Liked — Bed was OK
  • Disliked — Dirty, gross looking carpets and outdated tired bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Meriden hotels

florida
Reviewed 3 April 2008

This hotel was awful. The first room had a hole in the wall and then had a burn hole in the comforter. Dirty!!! The staff was rude. I asked for a new room and was given a room where the remote did not work. I was very upset. STAY AWAY

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Meriden? Share your experiences!